Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have Tesla replace a discontinued seat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

So I've got a problem with the front driver's seat on my 2016 Model X that cannot be repaired. It's makes a noise when adjusting the reclining of the seat back. I have the premium package with the perforated seats that go along the sides and up the seat backs. I was told by the mobile service adviser that since this seat is no longer made, the service center may want to replace it with the current model 3 seat. Yes, model 3. According to his advisor the model 3 uses the same seat as the current model x seat. According to the Tesla website, it looks like the model x can still be ordered with perforated seats but they do not look the same as the ones I have.

At minimum, if I can convince them to change the seat to the perforated model x seat, the new model x seat still looks different than the one I currently have so the driver seat will still look off compared to the rest of the vehicle so I'm not sure what my real options could be. My car is out of the original factory warranty but I am still within my extended warranty.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had the same situation as mine and what the resolution was.

Thanks.

May I ask what you ended up doing here?

I worry about this a lot on our P100D. We have absolutely BEAUTIFUL perforated white seats, on a 2016. And well, the driver's seat doesn't come up as far as the passenger seat. I'm able to get it to every now and then by making it remember its full range (go up and down repeatedly over and over and over until it comes up by tiny little bits until it's just barely vertical), but I'm worried it will eventually fail.

I've kept an eye on eBay just in case....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(As an aside, interested in selling your seat if it's white?? Even if it is defective? I'll keep it as a spare!)

I'm genuinely curious what you were able to do here. I think Tesla may not be properly keeping the spirit and letter of the law in regards to warranty requirements relating to how they must keep on hand parts for cars that are still under warranty....(even extended warranties).

But that's not really a surprise to me or perhaps anyone else. Inventory takes up space and why do it when you can just....replace it with something "just as good" when it isn't, but it is in their mind. Their "just in time" mentality with incremental improvements is great until it isn't. Situations just like this. These "Unicorns" like what we have.