Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have Tesla roof/Powerwall technical details?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
HI,

I am interested in the Tesla roof since my roof + solar installer is having issues committing to a date; and it looks like the Tesla V3 roof might actually be cheaper than the cement/composite roof with 9.2 Kw of Panasonic panels Solar Edge optimizers and inverter.

However, I am also leery because we all know Telsa Gen 1 products have issues, and the dearth of technical specs on the roof. I know few have a Tesla roof installed, but if some can discuss their experience that would be great. Regarding tech specs, does anyone know if these things have something like an optimizer? I have trees that will definitely shade the roof at certain times, and I don't want a massive drop off because a few tiles are shaded. Also, what does the roof's weight versus a tile roof?

Regarding the powerwall, are their issues with equipment that need sine waves like computers, NAS, etc. We run a software development/training business from home so computers are our life blood.
Thanks!

HI,

I am interested in the Tesla roof since my roof + solar installer is having issues committing to a date; and it looks like the Tesla V3 roof might actually be cheaper than the cement/composite roof with 9.2 Kw of Panasonic panels Solar Edge optimizers and inverter.

However, I am also leery because we all know Telsa Gen 1 products have issues, and the dearth of technical specs on the roof. I know few have a Tesla roof installed, but if some can discuss their experience that would be great. Regarding tech specs, does anyone know if these things have something like an optimizer? I have trees that will definitely shade the roof at certain times, and I don't want a massive drop off because a few tiles are shaded. Also, what does the roof's weight versus a tile roof?

Regarding the powerwall, are their issues with equipment that need sine waves like computers, NAS, etc. We run a software development/training business from home so computers are our life blood.
Thanks!

On point 2, there are a few threads about that here. the TL ; DR version seems to be that the powerwall puts out a signal to shut down solar when its full that can turn off personal UPS connected to devices. There seem to be 2 fixes. One is to purchase a specific UPS from EATON that handles the higher frequency without shutting off, the other is to contact tesla and have them turn down the frequency the powerwall blasts out when its full.

Here are some of the threads talking about that:

My grid outage frequency issue is resolved!
Powerwall 2 + UPS Connundrum - and solution
New Powerwall 2 Installation and First Simulated Grid Outage Test

(dont have my PW yet but doing a bunch of reading here. I have no idea on point 1, I only know what is posted here about solar roof so will be of less than zero help there.