Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have the driver door "auto present", or is it "auto open" just stop working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The auto door open for the driver based on the key fob stopped working. Has worked flawlessly since March 2020 purchase, until 2 days ago it just stopped. I kind of liked the MX opening the door for me! I cant find a setting for it, I do only use 1 FOB (the are tucked away for safe keeping). No software update, though it may have been after a random reboot which I do recall happening a few days ago as well. Any advice?

Mine did that a couple years ago, and I thought it was right after a software update, but turns out it wasn't. It would open from inside or when pushing the button, just not the auto-present as I walked up. Turns out, I think, that it was a receiver that had to be replaced. Haven't had any problems since then.

I cant find a setting for it,
It’s the automatic door setting in the Vehicle menu.
CDEB8355-1E45-43FE-8827-C5AD2CED13A3.jpeg

If that is set, your key fob battery is good, and it is not auto-presenting, make a service appointment. Here was the documentation when mine had to be fixed:

64338E52-4171-49FE-AA54-C1B5D0375160.jpeg

Mine (2018) did this when I first took delivery in April. Just had it fixed, they replaced a Central Body Controller. Same deal, driver door worked fine from the screen, key fob, door switch, just wouldn’t auto present. Works like a charm now. When/if you take it in, bring all your key fobs, they won’t work anymore unless re-paired if you have the same part replaced.

It’s the automatic door setting in the Vehicle menu.
View attachment 680860
If that is set, your key fob battery is good, and it is not auto-presenting, make a service appointment. Here was the documentation when mine had to be fixed:

View attachment 680861
Thanks - I do have that option checked off, but no auto open door since Tuesday. It does open mirrors, but no other activity until I get in the car (now that I think about it, it used to open the door and wakeup the car, radio, AC, etc...).

Thanks - I do have that option checked off, but no auto open door since Tuesday. It does open mirrors, but no other activity until I get in the car (now that I think about it, it used to open the door and wakeup the car, radio, AC, etc...).
As another post mentioned, you probably need a new Central Body Control Module. They claim it is not a common problem, but mine has been changed twice, for the same reason. They will need all the fobs you have for the vehicle. When you pick it up, make sure your keys are distinctive. They have a devil of a time getting them to come up different (key_fob_1 vs key_fob_2). Once, it took them two days of screwing around to give me two fobs that were different. Important for assigning a fob to driver profile.

Hi @MEAllard ,

I had my Central Body Controller replaced too...
Same symptoms - All good then everything EXCEPT auto open works...

As others have said, please take all of your key fobs as they need to be matched
to the new Central Body Controller...

Good luck,

Shawn

1 week update - with the backup key FOB, everything works fine. So it is it the battery on the Keyfob I have been using for 15 months? And if it is the battery, why does everything else work, except the auto - door open? I guess I'll get a new battery and see.

2 week update - changed the battery in the FOB that no longer (stopped abruptly after 15 months) auto opens driver door, and still does not work. So FOB #2 works fine, but the FOB I have been using for 15 months without issue, does not auto open door. I know I could just switch FOB's, but something must be wrong, so now I have a mobile service appointment set up for next week.

2 week update - changed the battery in the FOB that no longer (stopped abruptly after 15 months) auto opens driver door, and still does not work. So FOB #2 works fine, but the FOB I have been using for 15 months without issue, does not auto open door. I know I could just switch FOB's, but something must be wrong, so now I have a mobile service appointment set up for next week.
what was the outcome?

Had it serviced (Mobile service) and the tech said he could not find the problem, and that they would get back to me with follow up service - BUT, after he left both FOB's worked again. I also never heard back from Tesla regarding follow up, but the issue has resolved itself.