TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anyone have the new heavier rotors that fix squeal?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by zwede, Feb 13, 2014.

1. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

We had a week of damp/rainy weather and my brakes had a very annoying squeal whenever I came to a complete stop. I talked to my service center and he says there's a new brake rotor they can install that is supposed to fix the squeal, but it's 7 lbs heavier than the old one.

Wondering if anyone has this new rotor? Does it indeed fix the squeal? And have you noted any drawback due to the extra weight (ride or handling)?

2. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Changing pads is easier (did it on my Maranello... Brembo squeal is legendary :) ).

3. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

I asked about that and according to the shop manager the issue is the rotor hitting a harmonic and using the rim as a tuning fork. Only way to fix it is to change the mass of either the rotor or rim. I'm not enough of a physicist to validate that, but it sounds plausible.

4. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Interesting... I was about to say my brakes have never really squeaked but then I have aftermarket wheels.

5. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

My brakes squeal all the time. It sounds as if the brake pads are shot. I asked the queens SC to look into that back in August and they said brake pads still look brand new and the squealing is "normal" thus they didn't do anything and they are still squealing today...

6. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Pads remove excitation of the rotor/rim set. It works :)
    I do not bother on MS as it only squeals when I shave off that last few mph coming to a stop. I can live with it.

and yes, changing mass to change the natural frequency of the system would do it too but that is like killing a gnat with a sledge hammer. Given the ridiculously low brake consumption on MS, carbon based pads will last the lifetime of the car. In addition (and no small addition) they do not dust anywhere near as much as stock pads.

Oh, and I used Poterfield on the Maranello. They have already figured out what works on MS as well.

7. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

FYI, until I replaced my 19's with 21's I never had a squeal. As stated above only happens at the end of a full stop, so the harmonics makes sense.

8. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

#8 Lloyd, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    I have the squeak and was able to get rid of 95% of it by coating the rotors with a spray of CRC antisqueal. I was able to do the fronts without removing the wheel and rotor. The rears have an inside shield and proper coating will requrie dissassembly of the rotor and caliper. The spray was available at our local Napa autoparts for ~$10

Anyone know how long this fix will last?

http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05080-De-Squeak-Conditioning-Treatment/dp/B000M8H5M6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392310002&sr=8-2&keywords=CRC+brake+squeal

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

My front rotors were replaced with the non-squeal version. No one said anything about them weighing more. From what I understand they're just a different alloy.

10. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

Did they fix the squeal 100%?

11. strider

strider Active Member

We have the squeal when coming to a stop like LCC - super annoying. I have a set of Carbotech 1521's (new pads) on order which fixed the problem on my Roadster and have the added benefit of better initial bite and no dust. Will report once I get them installed.

12. achaar

achaar Member

I had mine replaced about three months after delivery. The squeak went away almost completely. The only time I hear it now, is when it has rained a bit. Big improvement.

13. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

Ok, I'll go for the new rotors. Mine doesn't squeal too bad when it's warm & dry, but when it's damp it's really annoying. Especially since the car is so quiet at low speeds.

14. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

I had the new rotors installed. They showed me both side by side and area between the hat and the friction surface is different on the new ones. It's apparently a harmonic thing.

15. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

It's too bad they didn't make lighter rotors for version 2.0. :(

16. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

Some more info from the SC: The new rotors were introduced in the fall on any car that has the 21" rims.

17. Nubo

Nubo Test Mule

On other cars with squeaky brakes I've successfully dealt with squeal by "bedding-in" the brakes:

Instructions for bedding in your brakes

All brakes squeal due to the stick/slip nature of the friction. It's only when the squeal (or its harmonics) are in the audible range that it becomes a problem. Modification of the friction surfaces by bedding can change the frequency.

Of course, take care to be safe while doing this.

18. bradhs

bradhs Member

They replaced my front rotors and I haven't heard a single squeal since. P85+ with 21" rims up front. Merrill's description of when the squealed is identical to what I was experiencing.

19. deonb

deonb Active Member

Was this a warranty replacement, or was there a cost for it?

20. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

They'll do it under warranty.