Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have time for a newbie question?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Each charging module will take at most 10 kW; in addition, the maximum current is the lower of 40 Amps or the current offered by the EVSE. Also, the taper will limit power draw near 100% SoC.

That means that a single charger Model S will take the following max powers if offered these currents and Voltages.

• 30A/208V J1772 — 30A x 208V = 6.24 kW
  • 48A/208V J1772 — 40A x 208V = 8.32 kW
  • 64A/240V J1772 — 40A x 240V = 9.60 kW
  • 80A/265V HPWC — 37.7A x 265V = 10 kW

A dual charger car will accept up to 80 Amps and 20 kW, whichever comes first.
Thanks for the clarification (and TGA as well)! Unfortunate that a 208 volt source can't max out the 10 kW charger though... they seem to be quite common and allowing another 5 amps would help speed along the charge.

It's similar in Texas. I consider it a very minor inconvenience which is well worth it to avoid having to purchase a car through a dealer with all the time and sleaze that involves, and costs are lower this way regardless of what kind of "deal" someone thinks they got from a dealer (8% higher prices estimated in Dept. of Justice study by requiring dealers rather than direct sales).

Also you're paying for those steps of tags and registration at a dealer, typically $75-200.
Don't get me wrong -- I still prefer the Tesla buying experience over a traditional dealership. I am just pointing out some of the roadblocks that Harrisburg has thrown in the way of Tesla.