Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have to replace battery yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could be anything really. You most likely don't need a new pack. You need a refurbished pack.

If you blow up your ICE engine in your 8 year old car you don't usually put in a brand new one either. You get a used one. I'm guessing the same will go for EV HV packs.

Perhaps they can measure the degradation to some extend, buy the broken pack from the customer and place a refurbished pack in the car.

Tesla even mentioned it wants to use EOL HV Tesla pack cells to go into powerwalls. So the non functional packs clearly have monetary value. It will boil down to 'how defective is it?'.

You most likely will not have to buy a brand new pack.

Reactions: ChadS
Tesla has a 8 year battery warranty. So only the 2008-2009 roadster would be out of warranty and need to be replaced outside of warranty. I’m curious as to what the costs are for anyone that has done this.
The Roadster isn’t a meaningful comparison to Model S/X. Only around 2500 Roadsters were produced, while there has been produced over 300,000 S/X. And that’s a figure that’s increasing by 100,000 every year.

With vastly higher volume, production costs for new or refurbished packs will be much more workable.

Reactions: ChadS
I don't really expect to see many Tesla pack replacements, because of the architecture.

Tesla packs are kinda the RAID of battery packs - large numbers of little cells in parallel, each individually fused. When one shorts, it'll pop the fuse, and the pack goes on working, short ~1.4% of its capacity (but with a 1% chance that the next failure has any impact at all.)

The pack replacements I've seen here in TMC have all been for system level components like the contactors that connect the pack to the rest of the car safely - things that would presumably be replaced on your pack out of warranty (or at least they'd give you a core return credit that's most of the value of the refurbished replacement pack they gave you.)

The only packs I expect to see replaced outright are the flooded ones or the ones that catch fire - and in both cases they normally total the car instead.

(By contrast, we're starting to see occasional pack replacements on Volts on that forum - failure of a single cell out of one of their triplets is a stranding event for them, and the response so far has been to replace one of the four modules in their pack once the car is trucked in.)

Yes, they replace the entire battery...but if all you need is a module, that is all they charge you for. This happened with my Roadster (it only had a 3-year warranty).

The Roadster packs were hand-made, so they are both more likely to fail and more expensive to fix.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman
We’ve definitely seen module level failures. Tesla does not seem to replace the module, they replace the entire battery.

My guess is that the service centers are not allowed to open the packs for safety reasons. You need some additional paperwork/education to be allowed to work on high voltage systems.

What I have seen in Tilburg factory is that there is a separate workspace for battery repairs. It is divided from the rest of the floor with a half-height glass wall (+/- 1 meter high) and a door that requires some electronic key and something that says 'high voltage work room. only certified engineers' or something like that. Also, there were sheets of new top sheets (the metal sheet that goes on top of the pack and is riveted/glued to the outer casing)

So Tesla does repair broken modules, just not in their SCs.