TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anyone have trouble charging a Model 3 with a Power Sharing HPWC setup?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by MXWing, Aug 17, 2018.

1. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

#1 MXWing, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    I have a HPWC sharing setup in my garage.

The "primary/master" HPWC charges the X without any issue and any Model S that has hooked up to it.

My Model 3, when plugged in the same primary/master gives me a yellow light and says 'partially plugged' in and charges at 16 AMP.

My Model 3 works fine on every other HPWC and ALSO works fine on the secondary/slave HPWC. The secondary HPWC has a J1772 charging head and NOT the Tesla connector but I am doubtful that the J1772 connector contributes to the problem of the the PRIMARY/MASTER HPWC as the J1772 headed secondary HPWC charges the Model 3 at 40 AMPS.

Primary/Master HPWC (Tesla connector) throws a fit when connected to the 3. Charges at 16 AMPS.

Secondary/Slave HPWC (J1772 Connector) charges fine at 40AMPS.

WTF

I actually made a thread here before I isolated the issue as -specific- to my home setup.

HPWC charging at only 16 AMPS on Model 3

I am wondering if anyone else has a HPWC Power Sharing setup and seen or not sen what I am experiencing.

Thanks

P.S. FML on my over-engineering every damn thing. Power Sharing completely useless complexity as none of my Tesla's even charge at 72AMP. Two individual non-linked HPWCs probably would have been fine. I would say J1772 connector so I can charge the Volt simultaneously with a Tesla on one circuit might have sounded clever but not enough gain for the pain. I'm qualified to work for Tesla I guess.

P.S.S - J1772 converted to a Tesla Adapter has no electronic button to signal a power disconnect. To charge at 40 AMPS, I need to use the J1772. To disconnect the J1772, I have to either get into the car to unlock the charge port or wait for the car to wake up so I can use the app. TAKES FOREVER.

P.S.S.S - WHERE TF is the option to be always connected, always on for Model 3. Vampire drain, vampire schmain. Make it OPTIONAL. That's a derivative of the word OPTION. OPTIONS are nice.

P.S.S.S.S - Extra salty due to the TSLA nose dive. Got some December calls near LOD however. See you at Q3 earnings..

• Love x 1
  2. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

I don’t recall the switch options. Disconnect the wire to the secondary and see if the primary works.

You may just have a problematic WC.

• Like x 1
  3. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

I could disconnect the 'setup' to do more troubleshooting, but that doesn't cover why any X or S is fine.

4. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

I agree. But I always try to go with simplistic solution to debug.

I remember reading reports of WC compatibility issues. But I thought it was MCU2 Model S cars and the rev 1 HPWC/WC.

• Informative x 1
  5. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

6. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

The X is MCU1 but a rev 1 charger not working well with MCU2 cars I imagine would have widespread issues?

I’ve powered off the secondary/slave just in case it makes a difference. It didn’t. :(

Next step is hopefully a jumper switch will accomplish the same as removing the communication wire that establishes the sharing link.

7. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

@Daniellane

Any insight why my setup is buggy? My HPWCs are from October 2016 if that makes a difference?

8. MikeBur

MikeBur ManualPilot

Hey @MXWing,

Primary setup my side is p85d connected to master, 3 connected to slave. 100 amp feed, 80 amp set in master.
    Both are tesla connector, and use Tony’s TeslaTap for eGolf and PlugShare use on both units

I have seen the reduced charging on 3 once due to partially plugged once. The slave wall connector cable was not fully inserted. Haven’t seen any other examples.

We did have one issue when setting up. The slave was a little quirky initially and wouldn’t consistently work. The solution was to, after switching off power, rotate the slave/current dial on the slave 2 rotations anti-clockwise. Supposedly, according to TM installer line, some of these require this. Yep, sounded weird to me two - though has worked like a dream since.

Couple of questions:
    1) what is your setup (feed line, split, jumpers set, etc)?
    2) what’s the model letter on you hpwcs? You say early 2016, vs my late 2017.
    3) have you tried swapping master/slave? Just remember to set S/X at 40A max draw unless your j1772 is rated for 80
    4) where are you? If in PacNw we could try a couple of things
    5) does this happen irrespective of anything being plugged in/charging on slave?

9. MikeBur

MikeBur ManualPilot

#9 MikeBur, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    Couple of other thoughts:
    1) does the cable on the 3, when charging via tesla connector, lock in place?
    2) pressing the cable release button on j1772 should still unlock the charge port lock when the 3 is unlocked. Ie press release on j1772, charge port light on 3 should cycle blue then white for release. I’ve no memory of doing manual unlock of charge port on 3, though it’s only been a couple of times so could be misremembering.
    3) shielded twisted pair in separate conduit should be fine. Ours was a little quirky to find as we ran 600V rated shielded twisted in power conduit, and this was hard to find for my electrician . Definitely not at Home Depot ;). Perhaps others would work, though we followed the 18AWG, 600V, shielded listed requirement - ie from: https://rexel-cdn.com/Products/4F3DEB5E-6266-42C5-9495-0AC8BFB4DB15/4F3DEB5E-6266-42C5-9495-0AC8BFB4DB15.pdf

10. eprosenx

eprosenx Member

I have seen reports in other forum posts about bits of plastic off the charging receptacle being broken off and stuck inside the handle tip on the charging cord. This keeps it from fully inserting into a different Tesla other than the one the plastic broke off of.

This causes the handle to not lock into place and become limited to 16a.

Can you check for foreign object debris in your handle and charging port?

• Like x 1
  11. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

@Rocky_H ;)

12. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

#12 Daniellane, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2018
    Nothing beyond comments I’ve already seen posted in this thread.
    I got some advice from Tesla.
    Searched my contacts and I believe this was the guy;

• Helpful x 1
  13. smartypnz

smartypnz Supporting Member

I have a sig HPWC still sitting in its box. Our original HPWC is connected via 6 ga wire and 50 amp (in garage - opposite house from panel) which we have used for our MS for over 5 years - no prob.
    Recent acquisition of M3 which is charging via 110v - rarely need more (avg 30 miles/day).
    But, want to install the sig HPWC and didn't realize there could be a master/slave config. Had been planning to run another 6 ga from panel with 50 amps for this. I'm guessing a single run (about 100ft) for 100 amps may exceed budget.
    Is there any advantage to master/slave? The MS uses about 180 miles/day - the M3 uses 30)
    Maybe suggest a better setup. We know we will have to increase our PG&E feed and upgrade our panel which is 200 amp now.

14. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

#14 Daniellane, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    I have a Model S and a Model 3 and two HPWCs sharing one 100 amp circuit.
    I love this set-up. It works flawlessly. Here’s a demo I posted after the installation was completed. Lots of info in this thread:
    Model 3 & Model S Load Sharing 2 HPWCs Video Demo! WooHoo!
    Originally I had inadvertently uploaded a lower quality version of the video . So don’t watch the one in the first post.
    Use the link below
    Direct link to the video (highest resolution):

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  15. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

#15 Daniellane, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2018
    I went through my emails and confirmed that <redacted> is the person you should contact.
    He is the Charging Installation Program Manager at Tesla.
    He was extremely responsive and helpful both by email and phone.
    Copied this from an email I received from him:
    <redacted>

• Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  16. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

My Model 3 is getting the charge port door aligned at Tesla but will test and implement some of these suggestions once it’s back.

I am grateful for the time and effort. @Daniellane @MikeBur

• Like x 2
  17. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

You’re very welcome.
    Hope everything works out.
    I have received so much help and good information from this community.
    I always appreciate the opportunity to pay it forward.

• Love x 2
  18. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Off topic for this thread -

But the master/slave configuration would allow sharing.

So if the max TOTAL extra your panel could handle is 50a (40a actual). M/S configuration would allow the two to balance the 50a (40a acutual) between the two WC units. And never exceed 50a (40a actual).

If your panel has the capacity to hold and supply two 50a circuits the M/S configuration would not benefit you. Esp if your happy with 50a Circuit for each car.

However, if you could support 100a, the M/S configuration would allow that to be shared too... of course at the cost of heavier wiring, disconnect switches, etc.

• Informative x 1
  19. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

20. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

I’m pretty certain that they will be going out soon with AP Version 9.0 to the early access self hanging coat hook beta test group.

• Funny x 2