Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone here get a refund for Acceleration Boost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TLLMRRJ

Dec 19, 2019
Houston
So yesterday, I was driving back from a supercar event in my Lambo, it was a beautiful car day, all my cars are clean and shiny and running well, so all of that caused me to say f-it, I am going to buy the non-refundable boost for my LR AWD!

I’ve been telling myself over and over I don’t need it since it was announced, so why waste $2k that most likely won’t get me a penny more on resale.

But I did it, not expecting to have any way to get that money back, so I was ok at the time with $2165 going away forever.

The update was instant, and I went for a drive with 90% charge right away, and yes it was faster, but I immediately had buyer’s remorse. I drove it around with family later in the day and evening and even the stock 4.4s performance just isn’t anything you would fully use with family in those occasions (after, of course, the first drives to show them what it can do).

Took it out this morning after sleeping on it, and yes it pulls like a train. But it pulled like a train already without the upgrade.

I just don’t feel any significant difference in regular driving and I don’t race people on the street. Even if I did look for races, I would beat many of them without the boost.

Now, I see there’s a refund button with a 48hr window when you tab over to the “purchased options” screen. Seriously thinking of pressing that refund button!

Says you can only use the refund once, which is very reasonable terms, so if sometime in the future, I want it again, I can shell out the cash and still get it.

Has anyone else gotten a refund?

Anyone buy it before you could get a refund and would get a refund, if you could, after having it a while?

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and Need
Yep...

Clock is ticking for me. I have another 24 hrs.

B1B5067B-3E41-435F-A372-8201BB1F3B73.png
74BA2176-D785-492C-82F4-7D4A1FCFB7D7.png

There was a guy who claims he accidentally purchased the boost upgrade and when he called customer service for a refund they refused. So he tweeted Elon about it and Elon responded saying it should be easier for customers to get refunds if they purchase something by mistake. This looks like the result.

... and it appears completely reasonable, easy to do, and just about perfect. Can't find any fault with that implementation whatsoever.

Reactions: JasonR67
Yep...

Clock is ticking for me. I have another 24 hrs.

View attachment 507106 View attachment 507107

Once you drive the car after the refund, I think you might regret it...the boost is more than 0 to 60 stomps, it has a overall impact on how the car handles and feels. Whenever I get a hint of buyers remorse, I just select chill mode for a few minutes...it removes remorse quickly. It's by no means apples to apples of course but it gets the point across. I do wish we had another standard option available to select from; Chill, Standard and Sport. The 3 options would provide a good comparison between each.

I was also hoping that with the last update there was a more visible way to designate Acceleration Boost outside of the button e.g. listed somewhere on the software tab. I think most people were confused after purchase.

I'm also considering as software continued revision down the road, maybe it gets better.

Reactions: jpfive
Once you drive the car after the refund, I think you might regret it...the boost is more than 0 to 60 stomps, it has a overall impact on how the car handles and feels. Whenever I get a hint of buyers remorse, I just select chill mode for a few minutes...it removes remorse quickly. It's by no means apples to apples of course but it gets the point across. I do wish we had another standard option available to select from; Chill, Standard and Sport. The 3 options would provide a good comparison between each.

I was also hoping that with the last update there was a more visible way to designate Acceleration Boost outside of the button e.g. listed somewhere on the software tab. I think most people were confused after purchase.

I'm also considering as software continued revision down the road, maybe it gets better.

It doesn’t feel any different in regular driving or when I floor it on the freeway. Only feel it when launch 0-60, and I definitely feel it then.

I have read other people say they don’t feel anything different in regular driving either.

I can only get a refund for the next 24 hours, but I can buy it again any time if I regret not having it. So just as a matter of course I will probably refund it and see how I feel.

Still interested to hear from anyone else that has refunded it, or wished they could have that $2k back in their pocket.

Haha. No not at all. It really is a reasonable way to handle buyers’ remorse or accidental purchases.

I was playing this one straight up. My usual sarcastic nature is taking the day off. LOL!

Except this doesn’t solve the root problem, ironically. How does this solve the problem of accidental purchases? I guess if you only accidentally buy it ONCE? The app should make you re-enter your password to buy any upgrades.

• Love
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
It doesn’t feel any different in regular driving or when I floor it on the freeway. Only feel it when launch 0-60, and I definitely feel it then.

I have read other people say they don’t feel anything different in regular driving either.

I can only get a refund for the next 24 hours, but I can buy it again any time if I regret not having it. So just as a matter of course I will probably refund it and see how I feel.

Still interested to hear from anyone else that has refunded it, or wished they could have that $2k back in their pocket.

My advice: get the refund.

Then, drive around and be like: oh man this is “slow”. Then you buy it again. And you’re finally happy.

So I drove the car this morning to compare without the boost.

For me, the car still drives exactly the same, except on 0-60 runs. Without the boost, the 0-60 runs are no where near as brutal. They seem tame in comparison, which I know is opposite of what Urbancowboy expressed.

As it stands, I don't feel like I need to order the boost again since the car is doing what I need it to do, which is being a great, fun daily driver as is. It would be different if it was both my daily driver and my only fun car. But in that case, I would have gotten a Stealth or Performance.

It's super cool of Tesla to make it possible to try the features for 48 hours. Now, I won't have that nagging little argument in the back of my head about whether or not I should get the boost, and I won't spend cycles researching videos and threads to learn what it's like based on other people's perceptions and opinions.

I had a similar experience this morning on my way to work. Punching it from 35mph is definitely not as violent but it’s still extremely quick. Faster than 99% of cars on the road, and it’s hard to find any practical reason for the boost to be remotely necessary.

But... I do miss the violent grin-invoking pull from a roll. And because this is my daily and fun car, I will probably end up buying it again.