Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone here get a refund for Acceleration Boost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a stealth and I was originally crazy excited about the 0-60 but now it's kinda died out. I prob should have got a long range. You can only show your friends how fast the car is a few times. You end up just cruising around and a normal Tesla is fast to begin with.

I don't floor it much.

Yeah, the kind of acceleration these EV's are getting is amazing, but it's definitely more of a party trick/bragging rights than anything useful for daily driving. The performance is so easy and repeatable, that after doing it a couple of times, there's nothing to work on to keep you interested like the old days of practicing your launch techniques with a manual transmission.

Last edited:
Yeah, the kind of acceleration these EV's are getting is amazing, but it's definitely more of a party trick/bragging rights than anything useful for daily driving. The performance is so easy and repeatable, that after doing it a couple of times, there's nothing to work to keep you interested like the old days of practicing your launch techniques with a manual transmission.

The instant torque is addictive and the shove back in the seat is always enjoyable but I agree EVs have a way of dulling the driving experience for enthusiasts. No sound, no rowing your own gears, no smell, no tire spin, etc. The Model 3 entertains in many other ways and is a great daily driver but when it comes to pure driving enjoyment it can't tickle all the senses. You still need a true sports car if you want the best of both worlds.

• Informative
Reactions: TLLMRRJ and badiban
As someone who drove a manual transmission car for 15 years solely by preference, with the last one being a 3 Series, I have the opposite opinion. to me the utter lack of any lag whatseover (instant torque) makes EVs, especially Teslas, feel like a precision scalpel vs the rusty dull blade feel of an ICE+transmission.

I personally derive far more enjoyment out of incredibly precise and linear reaction to my input in an EV than trying to work around the inherent limitaions of an ICE. It's allows me to fully focus on the driving aspect over the powertrain. The ease of repeatability is proof it's a better tool for the job.

... and it appears completely reasonable, easy to do, and just about perfect. Can't find any fault with that implementation whatsoever.

I think there's still a fault. If you tap the "pay with credit card" link (below Apple Pay option on iOS) it takes you to a second screen with one button. I didn't actually go through with it myself, but reports are that it does not ask you for a password or anything, so it is actually still possible to accidentally purchase this expensive option.

The refund policy is an excellent addition, but one refund allowed combined with the fact you can still buy this accidentally and I'd say they haven't totally addressed the full scope of the issue.

Most enthusiasts ICE owners would consider it a tremendous bargain to be able to add that much performance to their cars for the price.

Usually when you increase the performance of an ICE car you also incur negative features like poor gas mileage, increased noise, lumpy idle, loss of traction, increased oversteer, loss of warranty etc.
Man you must really hate ICE cars now. I see you posting in a lot of threads how awful they are and how you've now seen the light with EV/Tesla.

Some people LIKE most of those things and it's part of the culture. But I do agree, $2,000 worth of mods on an ICE vehicle won't get you too much, minus if you put a tune on some of the boosted vehicles, but that's 95% of the time 3rd party and your warranty is void.

I had a 700+ RWHP Twin Turbo G8 GXP a few years ago, and I put probably $12,000+ in it and most of that is what made it fun. Lopey idle, loud, loss of traction, etc. I could still get almost stock mileage on the highway though, it's all in the tuning, but around the city it wasn't great, but you can't expect it to be great with those mods.

Reactions: holmgang
Naw..I actually still like the experience of driving a high performance ICE car, but have come to the realization that all that fun came to a significant cost to the environment.

I once measured my fuel consumption at Willow Springs in my Viper. Got 2.2 MPG and felt proud of that as some sort of accomplishment :) Burned through tires every few track days and vaporized my share of brake pads. Spent all sorts of money keeping the car race ready and getting to and from the track events.

Felt great to slam the gears and slide around the corners. Felt accomplishment when I was able to achieve faster lap times than my buddies.

Now looking back, it was really very wasteful and generated a huge carbon footprint.

Driving a Tesla has been transformational. I feel enlightened and a feeling of calm confidence when behind the wheel of my X. Now enjoy not burning so many thousands of gallons of polluting gasoline.

Still get a kick when seeing a well prepared car. Like the low slung look of a Lambo or even a prepped Corvette, but I also feel that I have moved on from those days and that the future is electric.

I continue to enjoy (though not daily) the delightful acceleration of my Performance car - and will sadly admit that if there was an upgrade that made it quicker still, I would be tempted (and likely fail to resist) to get that upgrade. It's just one of those things.

I'd be all over a performance upgrade for my 3P. No question.

I continue to enjoy (though not daily) the delightful acceleration of my Performance car - and will sadly admit that if there was an upgrade that made it quicker still, I would be tempted (and likely fail to resist) to get that upgrade. It's just one of those things.

^ This. I may have, more than once, looked to see if there was an additional $2k performance upgrade available... (Don't get any ideas Elon),

I think these dilemmas that people are having over whether they notice it or if it's worth it could be easily avoided if Tesla just kept a 'Standard' acceleration option that you could just toggle on the fly between Sport and Standard once you purchased the Boost. I find it a bit strange why they had to get rid of it once you got the Boost. If the S can have more accel options, I don't see any reason why the 3 can't.

With all that said, I do think the 3 in general could use further acceleration improvement on the mid and top end but perhaps that will have to wait for the next version or the 100 kWh one.

Naw..I actually still like the experience of driving a high performance ICE car, but have come to the realization that all that fun came to a significant cost to the environment.

I once measured my fuel consumption at Willow Springs in my Viper. Got 2.2 MPG and felt proud of that as some sort of accomplishment :) Burned through tires every few track days and vaporized my share of brake pads. Spent all sorts of money keeping the car race ready and getting to and from the track events.

Felt great to slam the gears and slide around the corners. Felt accomplishment when I was able to achieve faster lap times than my buddies.

Now looking back, it was really very wasteful and generated a huge carbon footprint.

Driving a Tesla has been transformational. I feel enlightened and a feeling of calm confidence when behind the wheel of my X. Now enjoy not burning so many thousands of gallons of polluting gasoline.

Still get a kick when seeing a well prepared car. Like the low slung look of a Lambo or even a prepped Corvette, but I also feel that I have moved on from those days and that the future is electric.

Ditto for me. I was a serious performance addict, did virtually all my own work, own maintenance, own mods and upgrades, even rebuilt complete engines and gearboxes in my “youth”. Now- it will be too soon if I never get my hands greasy and oily and skin off my knuckles working on an ICE engine. The Model 3 performance is soo much fun to drive, every single day, that I am honestly never missing driving antiques (aka ICE vehicles :) ..... EXCEPT that I still have one- which hardly gets used, and only for towing. Bring on the Cybertruck!

Reactions: Phlier
Ditto for me. I was a serious performance addict, did virtually all my own work, own maintenance, own mods and upgrades, even rebuilt complete engines and gearboxes in my “youth”. Now- it will be too soon if I never get my hands greasy and oily and skin off my knuckles working on an ICE engine. The Model 3 performance is soo much fun to drive, every single day, that I am honestly never missing driving antiques (aka ICE vehicles :) ..... EXCEPT that I still have one- which hardly gets used, and only for towing. Bring on the Cybertruck!
You can still get hands dirty with a Tesla. Just ask Rich Benoit.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Exactly, there’s still a lot to break on a Tesla.

Agreed, here is what is going on under the frunk.

Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 7.49.04 PM.png