Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone here got a Roadie or raspberry pi zero setup in the model s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Roadie says it is compatible with model s and underneath the good it is a raspberry pi zero but they are sold out and I hate waiting :) so I am trying to see if the model S weak usb drives will have enough juice to run a raspberry pi zero?

I have an Arduino Yun connected to a Netgear POE switch. Had to buy a 12v=>USB injector to power it, and tapped it in to always-on 12v.

Automatically connects to my home wifi system (Unifi AP Pro) and gives access to CID, gateway, etc.

Depending on the power draw of this "Roadie" the USB sockets likely won't be enough. They're minimal and any decent nano requires several amps.

I have an Arduino Yun connected to a Netgear POE switch. Had to buy a 12v=>USB injector to power it, and tapped it in to always-on 12v.

Automatically connects to my home wifi system (Unifi AP Pro) and gives access to CID, gateway, etc.

Depending on the power draw of this "Roadie" the USB sockets likely won't be enough. They're minimal and any decent nano requires several amps.

looks like the power consumption is in mAs. I think model S ports do 1 amp
Power Consumption Benchmarks | Raspberry Pi Dramble

All I can say is I remember having a hellacious time finding USB power sources that could handle the Pi 3+ or TinkerBoard at anything but idle. Clearly not worth looking up what I ended up with for the car. Anyway, I'm not at all impressed with the Pi's or TB.

Here's an informative article.

I also seem to remember that the Tesla USB ports put out only the minimum current, maybe 250mA?

There is a a
In a few words or less can you tell those of us not in the know what the Pi 0 is going to do for you in the car? Thanks and Merry Xmas.

So instead of putting in a USB drive you plug a micro computer into the Tesla which lets you do more stuff like be able to play music and record sentry videos or keep dash cam videos for your whole trip instead of just the last hour. It can also copy and paste the sentry and other video files to a network share or might be dropbox etc.

I use the TeslaUSB build on Raspberry PI ZeroW in both our cars. They work fine and since they self repair when the car doesn't unmount the drive correctly they are much more reliable than a USB.

I just found a newer build than I did and am going to give it a try since it adds more features that would be nice. milesburton/teslacam

Here is the original one I used. I am not certain the newer one allows for music. I will find out soon when I give it a try. cimryan/teslausb

I have had no issues with power draw in either the Model S or 3. In both cases I keep them near the USB ports and when at home they both connect to my WiFi just fine.

Last edited:
I use this marcone/teslausb in my Model S 2020. I use a Pi Zero. One can also use a Pi 4 nowadays. It syncs recorded videos, syncs music. And it is very easy to install and run.
I'm using this too. However, I had to use two USB cables since it just crashed over and over with a single.
Didn't tweak anything to try and reduce power, so maybe that will help in the future.

Reactions: MrKool
I use this marcone/teslausb in my Model S 2020. I use a Pi Zero. One can also use a Pi 4 nowadays. It syncs recorded videos, syncs music. And it is very easy to install and run.
how did you get it to work? I have tried so much and even though the dash cam icon appears on the screen it does not record anything. Even the USB music doesn't mount on the Tesla. It works fine on the PC. I have tried using two cables and even a cigaret lighter USB for power on the Pi 0 but nothing.

My 2017 Tesla Model S (MCU 1) got the AP3 upgrade a couple of months ago... So I bought the roadie... I checked the box that I knew it didn't work with a MCU 1 car.

I plugged it in and it couldn't boot all of the way. I got an email from the Roadie guys that it wouldn't work since it draws too much power. So I got inspired and purchased a Powered USB Hub. I selected this BYEasy hub largely because it added USB Power via a USB to barrel connector...https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M91R8PN/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_EUpDFb2HECW2R

I also got a 12V to USB adapter like this one to power the hub: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PGT7LSR/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_EVpDFbE6BQPVE

I plugged Roadie into the HUB and plugged the Hub into 12V/USB adapter and into one of the original Tesla ports.

Using the power cable that came with the HUB and adding a longer USB to micro usb cable I was able to stash the whole thing in the rear of the console (in front of the drink holders).

The result is...... Works perfectly.