Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone here gotten the Kenzo treatment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear Folks,

I've just made an appointment to get my late 2019 Model X ceramic-coated, and the detailer recommended IGL's Kenzo. (Actually he recommended something less expensive, but I liked the extra hardness of the Kenzo.)

Does anyone here have that coating and can comment on its pros and cons?

(Appointment's not for two weeks-- there's time to change my mind.)

Thanks!

pax / Ctein

I don’t but Im going to call this week and make an appointment with our local detailer. He’s always done right by us, and I see he does IGL now.

Can I ask what price you got for the Kenzo treatment? Just so I know what to steel myself for. :)

thanks!

Dear d,

No idea, of course, how prices compare on the Left Coast with those on the Least Coast. I live in one of the most expensive areas on the planet. With that caveat:

Kenzo is mid-priced, according to the detailer I'll be using. He offered three options, one that was very cheap ($850), C-something (I didn't write it down), that had no warranty but is typically good for 2-3 years and it's what he uses on his own cars. I told him I was willing to spend more than that and asked about Ceramic Pro, which is popular around here and has five-year warranty and lifetime warranty packages. That's in the $2,000 range

He said it was a very good product, but he considered their warranty essentially worthless. In his experience the manufacturer disallows almost all warranty claims as user abuse. Also one of the warranty requirements is that you bring it into a certified detailer for refurbishing each year, which runs 250-$350 each time.

In which case, it seemed to me, why not go with the cheap option and just get it redone every three years?

The Kenzo treatment was $1,350. The two things that sold me on it were the extra degree of hardness — 10H vs. 9H — and the superhydrophobic top layer. I live right out by the ocean. Lots of windblown grit and dust and salt fog. Plus, in the 4000 miles I put on the car, I've already suffered three small sand chips in the front hood (most of my driving is it freeway speeds).

The work's going to get done on the 15th.

- pax \ Ctein
[ Please excuse any word-salad. Dragon Dictate in training! ]
======================================
-- Ctein's Online Gallery. Ctein's Online Gallery
-- Digital Restorations. Photos Restored Digitally by Ctein

The work's going to get done on the 15th.

Hey there - wanted to follow up and see how the Kenzo treatment went? Hoping you got an amazing result!

I just dropped our Model X off and I'm having the IGL Quartz Plus applied today. It's not "quite as" hard as Kenzo but still in the same ballpark, and for approximately half the price. Comes with a 3-year warranty (vs. 4-year on the Kenzo), so I figure I'll just reapply it after 3 years.

Also having a clear wrap done on the bumper - on our recent road trip, we must've squished 10 million bugs. Anything that'll help those come off will be most welcome. :)

Can't wait to post some photos!

Hey, d!

You're right — I've been remiss! In these Plague Times, I seem to spend twice as much time getting half as much done... but, finally, here's my report.

The punchline: I am one very happy camper!

The details: I did get my Model X coated as scheduled, by Bay Area Detail. I was exceptionally happy with both the service and the quality of the work. Taylor Griffith offered to come do the job in my garage (a great idea in these times of sheltering-in-place) but my garage wasn't big enough for him to work around the car, so I drove the car down to his.

He turned the job around the same day, including coating the windows, claying and overcoating the wheels, and lacquering the tires. He told me it was safe to drive it the 15 miles to home, and it was getting past dinnertime, so I didn't do a detailed inspection there, but he said to give him a call or drop him an email if there was anything that needed touching up.

I got the car home, gave it a more careful walk-around, and found several spots where the overcoat was a little blemished. He said he'd be out the next day to fix them. He was, and he did, and he found a few I'd missed. He also left me with a small bottle of the overcoat solution and several of his favorite microfiber cloths and instructions on how I could touch up any additional blemishes should they occur. (Although he said he'd be happy to come out and do them if need be.)

In every respect, top-notch service and top-notch quality, which is why I'm giving him this shout-out here (he doesn't know I'm doing it... yet). I don't know how large his work radius is, but if you're in the San Francisco Peninsula and want your car spiffed up drop him a line and ask.

Taylor told me to let it cure for at least two days in the garage and it would be safe to drive anywhere after that, but he said it would continue hardening for up to seven days. I didn't need to be anywhere, so I left it sheltered for the full week.

How does it look? Amazing. Everyone who says it's better-than-new is right. I loved the paint job straight from the factory, but this practically glows. It seems to have a new level of depth, and it feels like silk to the touch. Honestly, I love feeling it.

Sorry, but there's no point in posting pictures — it just looks like a new midnight blue Tesla. You have to be there to see it.

How about its performance? I've got to say that super-hydrophobic coating is an amazing thing. A few days after the one week mark I drove 75 miles down to Santa Cruz to see my sweetie there. Her house is up in the forest, so after weekend the car is covered with a layer of yellow pine pollen, assorted other tree droppings, and a spattering of sap spots. Between that and highway grime the car always needs washing when I get back home.

When I got the car home, after 75 miles at California freeway speed, 95% of the crud on the car had blown off. Honestly, it didn't really need washing, unless you're the kind of fanatic who washes their car every day (some people do). I was impressed as hell.

The sap didn't blow off (oh, surprise) but a spritz of Griot's Speed Shine and a microfiber cloth took it right off.

I hit the car with a spray hose, no soaping or anything, and the minimal residual stuff just sluiced off. The water barely stuck — it ran right off the sides, leaving only trails of very fine droplets. The same on the frunk and the windshield-roof, below the angle of repose. Above that, it beaded up into little convex ovoids, just like in the photographs I'd seen. Catching the light, it looked like I'd bedazzled the car!

I was about to take microfiber cloths to it to remove the remaining water and avoid spotting when I got a notion. Hopped back into the car, drove onto the nearby 50 mile-per-hour divided road (Highway 35), took her down to the stoplight and back (about a mile). Perfectly blow-dried and spotless! Faster and easier than wiping, fur shure. The only place that needed a wipe down was on the rear near the spoiler.

Taylor says that since I'm keeping the car garaged and I don't drive it every day (even when not playing hide and go seek with a virus), he expects the coating will last a lot longer than the warranty. But even if I have to get it renewed every four years, it's still going to cost me less than a new paint job every ten-twelve.

And if it doesn't, it's still totally worth it for the beauty and the convenience. I am so glad I had this done. Understatement.

- pax \ Ctein

Reactions: Hugh-SG and dmurphy
Hey, d!

You're right — I've been remiss! In these Plague Times, I seem to spend twice as much time getting half as much done... but, finally, here's my report.

The punchline: I am one very happy camper!

The details: I did get my Model X coated as scheduled, by Bay Area Detail. I was exceptionally happy with both the service and the quality of the work. Taylor Griffith offered to come do the job in my garage (a great idea in these times of sheltering-in-place) but my garage wasn't big enough for him to work around the car, so I drove the car down to his.

He turned the job around the same day, including coating the windows, claying and overcoating the wheels, and lacquering the tires. He told me it was safe to drive it the 15 miles to home, and it was getting past dinnertime, so I didn't do a detailed inspection there, but he said to give him a call or drop him an email if there was anything that needed touching up.

I got the car home, gave it a more careful walk-around, and found several spots where the overcoat was a little blemished. He said he'd be out the next day to fix them. He was, and he did, and he found a few I'd missed. He also left me with a small bottle of the overcoat solution and several of his favorite microfiber cloths and instructions on how I could touch up any additional blemishes should they occur. (Although he said he'd be happy to come out and do them if need be.)

In every respect, top-notch service and top-notch quality, which is why I'm giving him this shout-out here (he doesn't know I'm doing it... yet). I don't know how large his work radius is, but if you're in the San Francisco Peninsula and want your car spiffed up drop him a line and ask.

Taylor told me to let it cure for at least two days in the garage and it would be safe to drive anywhere after that, but he said it would continue hardening for up to seven days. I didn't need to be anywhere, so I left it sheltered for the full week.

How does it look? Amazing. Everyone who says it's better-than-new is right. I loved the paint job straight from the factory, but this practically glows. It seems to have a new level of depth, and it feels like silk to the touch. Honestly, I love feeling it.

Sorry, but there's no point in posting pictures — it just looks like a new midnight blue Tesla. You have to be there to see it.

How about its performance? I've got to say that super-hydrophobic coating is an amazing thing. A few days after the one week mark I drove 75 miles down to Santa Cruz to see my sweetie there. Her house is up in the forest, so after weekend the car is covered with a layer of yellow pine pollen, assorted other tree droppings, and a spattering of sap spots. Between that and highway grime the car always needs washing when I get back home.

When I got the car home, after 75 miles at California freeway speed, 95% of the crud on the car had blown off. Honestly, it didn't really need washing, unless you're the kind of fanatic who washes their car every day (some people do). I was impressed as hell.

The sap didn't blow off (oh, surprise) but a spritz of Griot's Speed Shine and a microfiber cloth took it right off.

I hit the car with a spray hose, no soaping or anything, and the minimal residual stuff just sluiced off. The water barely stuck — it ran right off the sides, leaving only trails of very fine droplets. The same on the frunk and the windshield-roof, below the angle of repose. Above that, it beaded up into little convex ovoids, just like in the photographs I'd seen. Catching the light, it looked like I'd bedazzled the car!

I was about to take microfiber cloths to it to remove the remaining water and avoid spotting when I got a notion. Hopped back into the car, drove onto the nearby 50 mile-per-hour divided road (Highway 35), took her down to the stoplight and back (about a mile). Perfectly blow-dried and spotless! Faster and easier than wiping, fur shure. The only place that needed a wipe down was on the rear near the spoiler.

Taylor says that since I'm keeping the car garaged and I don't drive it every day (even when not playing hide and go seek with a virus), he expects the coating will last a lot longer than the warranty. But even if I have to get it renewed every four years, it's still going to cost me less than a new paint job every ten-twelve.

And if it doesn't, it's still totally worth it for the beauty and the convenience. I am so glad I had this done. Understatement.

- pax \ Ctein

This is great to hear - thank you! I’m excited to see how it works. I don’t have delusions of grandeur; it’s not going to help with rocks and chips and stuff, but maybe I’ll be able to hose the car off and have it look presentable more often. Even better — it should stop the birds that love to crap on our cars (we park in the driveway) from etching the paint.

Thanks for the great review - I’m feeling marginally better about spending a few bucks on it!

— Dennis

Dear folks,

Seems to me that the big benefit of a wrap is that you can customize the look of the car. Ceramic coating just gives you more of what you've got already, but a wrap lets you change the color and the finish. I get that! I paid out $1,500 to get the midnight blue because I really like the color. Sure, could have saved the money and gone generic white, but I don't much care for generic white - if I'm spending $90,000 on a car, well dammit, I want one I LIKE to look at! If I hadn't liked any of Tesla's colors (or wanted matte finish) I would've sprung for a wrap.

The thing is, though, it's just a plastic film. The Tesla paint job is soft, awfully easy to scratch and not too hard to chip. A plastic film is even softer. It'll protect more against chipping, because it's compliant, but it's not going to be very resistant to wear (and nothings going to protect against a big chunk'o'stuff). It's definitely not going to be easier to keep clean.

The way I looked at it, ceramic coating is like a paint-job-plus. I was willing to spend $1,500 to get the color I want. Now I'm willing to spend a little less than that to make the paint job look even better, make it more durable and harder, and make it easier to keep shiny-clean.

Just depends on what you care about. Ceramic's going to preserve the original look of the car better and be easier to keep pristine -looking, it'll be more scratch and chip resistant than the original paint job. But not as chip-resistant nor as customizable as as a wrap.

Gotta say, I don't follow the why of putting a wrap over a ceramic coating. Or, at least, a high-priced ceramic coating. If it's concern about the wrap/adhesive damaging the clearcoat and the underlying paint when it's applied/removed, it would seem to me that even a cheap ceramic coating will guard against that. Perhaps I'm missing something? Probably am.

- pax \ Ctein
-- Ctein's Online Gallery. Ctein's Online Gallery.
Digital Restorations. Photos Restored Digitally by Ctein

Hey, Dennis! A quick, dumb question:
How do you add the description of your car to your sig? I looked at my profile and I can't figure out how to do that.

No such thing as dumb questions!

Here's a link to make it super easy for you - just click here! https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/account/signature

Now, onward ...

As I mentioned, I had IGL ecocoat Quartz Plus coating applied today, along with a wrap on the front bumper & headlights. They also coated all the glass on the vehicle.

So far, it looks great. I can't tell there's a wrap unless I go looking for it.

Let's see how it holds up - he asked me to come back in 2 weeks for its first wash, to make sure it's done right.

EE439A47-D215-4094-9CD5-DA90CA38E64D.jpeg
3A5F5443-EFAE-4E9F-BB29-97D853FCF36C.jpeg
F7D1EE59-C8C6-4550-B912-40CA2A896D1D.jpeg

Dear Dennis,

Thank you!

(Now we'll see if that works...)

Yeah, the wrap appears to be invisible and your X looks gorgeous... almost as gorgeous as mine ;). Gawd, I love this car. Right up there with my first VW bus (seriously). Back in ancient times.

Had to take the X into the shop for some body work (a towing mishap-- our screwup) for a week and I was back to driving the Chevy HHR. Which is a really nice miniwagon for a smogger, don't get me wrong. But it's been months since I drove it, so...

I walk up to the car and, oh wait, it takes me several seconds to figure out how to unlock the door. No kidding! And, oh wait, have to take off the parking brake before it'll move. Oh wait, no side backup cameras. Oh wait, it doesn't steer itself -- what's with that?!

I'm in the Dark Ages!

So glad to have my X back.

pax / Ctein

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Hugh-SG
Dear Dennis,

Thank you!

(Now we'll see if that works...)

Yeah, the wrap appears to be invisible and your X looks gorgeous... almost as gorgeous as mine ;). Gawd, I love this car. Right up there with my first VW bus (seriously). Back in ancient times.

Had to take the X into the shop for some body work (a towing mishap-- our screwup) for a week and I was back to driving the Chevy HHR. Which is a really nice miniwagon for a smogger, don't get me wrong. But it's been months since I drove it, so...

I walk up to the car and, oh wait, it takes me several seconds to figure out how to unlock the door. No kidding! And, oh wait, have to take off the parking brake before it'll move. Oh wait, no side backup cameras. Oh wait, it doesn't steer itself -- what's with that?!

I'm in the Dark Ages!

So glad to have my X back.

pax / Ctein

It certainly works! I see your description, no problem at all.

And thanks for the nice comments re: the Model X. There's nothing exotic or unique about it; looks like every other Model X, just clean. So far so good - curious to see how it looks after a few weeks.

It's not something you can really see in a photo, but side by side with my Model 3, you can tell that the 3 needs a detailing. It just doesn't have the same "mirror shine" depth ...

AEE34215-7FFD-45C8-A94D-8D82B4B9F058.jpeg

Dear Folks,

A bit of visual amusement.

So, you all know how the Tesla's reflective glass coatings glow crimson when there's water on them. Add to that the super-hydrophobic coating on the Kenzo treatment.

This is what I recently woke up to, following a very foggy night. Instant art!

(For the scientifically inclined: note the extremely shallow angle of repose. Water really does just run off! After I wash my car, I take it out on Skyline Blvd for a mile and it's blown-dry -- no toweling needed!

pax / Ctein
FoggyTesla.jpg