Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone here have a white MY with matching colored bumper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I consider this a match.
Although the pain reflects differently on metal vs plastic, it's the same tone. In real life, it's not visible as on some other car pics I saw.

IMG_7039.JPG
IMG_7042.JPG

Reactions: KyleATMn

What do you guys think? I feel like its the same tone, but definitely different in how it reflects the light. Picked it up in bright sun light and could not tell. Now its darker, and sun going down (more yellow light), showing up a bit. This is my wife's car and she doesn't care at all. Right now, I'm not sure if I should be bothered by it or not. Sigh.

I never owned a white car before. But my wife loves the color. She told me its normal for plastic bumpers to reflect light differently. (Saw it on a brand new Acura MDX). I told her we should have just picked BLUE damnit. But she repeated to me again that she wants white!

u99ha7l.jpg

clgbCas.jpg

LHjBenw.jpg

Last edited:
That's definitely passable. Anyone that knows anything about automotive paint and bumpers, you'll see differences on many bumpers on the street today. Could yours be better? Yeah, a bit. Could it be way worse? Totally. I think yours is on the edge of being passable, so if it doesn't bother you (or your wife) then I would let it be. There are others that are worse that Tesla seems to be holding their ground on (which is crazy to me...) and yours being this slight, you may not win that fight. I personally think this is fine and I hope you enjoy the car even if it can't be changed!

I was just going to agree with KyleATMn, but the more I look at the pics the more it the mismatch stands out. Yes, it could be better and we have definitely seen worse. It comes down to what you guys can live with if your SC says it's WITHIN SPEC.

Your wife is fine with it. It bothers you.

I'm particular about paint so I wouldn't accept it, and I think buyers of used MYs down the road will look at all the mismatched white MYs out there and assume they were involved in collisions and repainted poorly by a body shop.

I agree with Raggedy in that it's worth a conversation. I definitely don't want to steal the joy of your moment if this is the only thing that bothers you overall, especially if they decide to not to admit that it's out of spec. Most people won't notice unless pointed out (at least from what I can see on the pictures).

We have all been seeing so many pictures in these forums and taking such a magnifying glass approach to these cars (very justified), but I would bet that most people outside of this forum won't really see it. This is not one of the ones that looks like the panel was bathed in butter. Just trying to put things in perspective if you choose to live with this.

I was just going to agree with KyleATMn, but the more I look at the pics the more it the mismatch stands out. Yes, it could be better and we have definitely seen worse. It comes down to what you guys can live with if your SC says it's WITHIN SPEC.

Your wife is fine with it. It bothers you.

I'm particular about paint so I wouldn't accept it, and I think buyers of used MYs down the road will look at all the mismatched white MYs out there and assume they were involved in collisions and repainted poorly by a body shop.

Thanks all for the input. Would Carmax, or Carvana care about this? They would look into the VIN and see any events. I wouldn't have the time to sell it myself privately. It's crazy, I really spent the 1 hour outside in the blazing sun looking yesterday, and it looked fine. Sucks it shows up more when its cloudy.