Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

anyone here prefer gen 2 wall charger over gen 3 wall charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all! I purchased a gen 2 wall charger couple months ago but it is still sitting in basement uninstalled. I am considering returning gen 2 wall charger (or sell it if telsa won't take return) to get the new gen 3 wall charger. My reason for getting gen 3 wall charger is lighter wire and wifi capability in the future. But I wonder if anyone here prefer the gen wall charge over gen 3? If your prefer gen 2, what would be your reason? Maybe you can talk me out of it returning my gen 2. thanks

Hello all! I purchased a gen 2 wall charger couple months ago but it is still sitting in basement uninstalled. I am considering returning gen 2 wall charger (or sell it if telsa won't take return) to get the new gen 3 wall charger. My reason for getting gen 3 wall charger is lighter wire and wifi capability in the future. But I wonder if anyone here prefer the gen wall charge over gen 3? If your prefer gen 2, what would be your reason? Maybe you can talk me out of it returning my gen 2. thanks
For a model 3 it doesn't make any difference as the max AC power a LR model 3 can take is 11.5 kW (48A), which is the limit of the Gen 3.

If you had (or plan on getting) a Model X, it could take 80A, which the Gen 2 can provide (hence, the bigger cable) if you have a big enough circuit.

If you don’t want it sell it for a profit. They seem to be going for $800+ on eBay and anyone on here would likely pay $600+ for it.

Take the profit and get yourself a lower cost gen 3. With the tax incentive (30% for any at home charging install) and profit from the gen 2 it will almost be free!

As others have said if you don’t need 24’ and don’t need more than 48amp no reason to keep the gen 2.

For a model 3 it doesn't make any difference as the max AC power a LR model 3 can take is 11.5 kW (48A), which is the limit of the Gen 3.

If you had (or plan on getting) a Model X, it could take 80A, which the Gen 2 can provide (hence, the bigger cable) if you have a big enough circuit.

All current model Tesla’s max out at a 48a charge rate.

Model X and Model S vehicles used to have an option for a 72a charge rate, but I don’t think they offer that anymore.

Really old Model S units had a 40a Charger, and an option to put in a second charger which let you use the full 80a charge rate.

I am assuming that the cyber truck will likely need to support say an 80a charge rate due to its larger consumption.

All current model Tesla’s max out at a 48a charge rate.

Model X and Model S vehicles used to have an option for a 72a charge rate, but I don’t think they offer that anymore.

Really old Model S units had a 40a Charger, and an option to put in a second charger which let you use the full 80a charge rate.

I am assuming that the cyber truck will likely need to support say an 80a charge rate due to its larger consumption.
I have one of those really old Model Ss with a "dual charger" 80A charge capability. Every now and then I come across an 80A destination charger - there's one at a coffee shop a couple of counties over that I go to sometimes. It is so fast, it's like the "poor man's supercharger".

No, that is definitely not going to happen. A lot of people, including myself, had thought the same thing, that especially the truck and Roadster, with their much larger batteries would get back to higher power onboard charging, but with this change to the new low power wall connector being the only available option, that guaranteed that they would not include higher power onboard charging anymore.

...unless they introduce a Gen 3 based high-power one along with the truck/roadster
So Tesla switches to this low power version being the only one available, and people install those for this next year or two, and then Tesla gives them a virtual kick in the balls by saying, "HA! Gotcha! You should have waited, and now you're stuck with that worse charging rate!" There would be an uproar or furious anger if they did that.

I don't think that's likely, but I suppose Tesla has done worse.

• Funny
Reactions: eprosenx
I wonder how the Gen 3 wall connectors daisy chain together now that they don't have a master and slave setting. Would they even be able to split up an 80A circuit? Or would the max always be split by 48A?

I'm going to make a broad assumption here and suggest that most Cybertrucks will need to be charged outside due to their size. Yes, some people will be able to fit them in their garages, but most will not (or not want to move their junk out to make room), so wall connectors with LONG cables are going to be needed more than they are now.

Reactions: Rogue Synapse
I wonder how the Gen 3 wall connectors daisy chain together now that they don't have a master and slave setting. Would they even be able to split up an 80A circuit? Or would the max always be split by 48A?
That is already described in the manual how it will work (although they don't have the software implemented yet).
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf

They can share among up to 16 units on one main circuit, and they give an example in the manual of a 100A subpanel supply, but I don't see a listing of any maximum circuit value, so it can possibly use 150 or 200A or more main supply to the group.

Reactions: hcdavis3
On page 23:

"During the commissioning process,

• Wall Connectors are allocated to individual branch circuits (each up to 60 amps)"

Page 24 has a pair of pretty clear diagrams suggesting one breaker per HPWC(and one HPWC per breaker)

Sounds to me like they expect one circuit breaker per HPWC, and the 'sharing' that is done is to make sure the total of all the HPWCs doesn't exceed what you've specified for the overall installation.

Could you daisy-chain anyway? Probably.

On page 23:

"During the commissioning process,

• Wall Connectors are allocated to individual branch circuits (each up to 60 amps)"

Page 24 has a pair of pretty clear diagrams suggesting one breaker per HPWC(and one HPWC per breaker)

Sounds to me like they expect one circuit breaker per HPWC, and the 'sharing' that is done is to make sure the total of all the HPWCs doesn't exceed what you've specified for the overall installation.

Could you daisy-chain anyway? Probably.
The Gen2 setup let you choose either to use this same subpanel/breaker installation as Gen3 or just do wire splitting/tying with Polaris connectors. I see a couple good reasons for using the multi-breaker setup anyway:
Don't have to use full size wire to every wall connector
Probably a bit of safety if one or more are not configured right, and you don't want to accumulate too much current draw through wires and Polaris connectors that aren't breakered for that until the breaker in the main panel.