Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone here with a low garage ceiling and narrow parking space?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new to the world of the Model X, but I have a Model Y performance. I'm considering switching my MY to the MX refresh.

I have a small garage. My MY hatch, for example, has to be adjusted really low so that it doesn't hit the garage door in the garage door's "open" state. The garage also doesn't allow for my passenger side door to open all the way, maybe only like the first "click".

Would this be a deal breaker for the rear falcon wing doors?

I'm new to the world of the Model X, but I have a Model Y performance. I'm considering switching my MY to the MX refresh.

I have a small garage. My MY hatch, for example, has to be adjusted really low so that it doesn't hit the garage door in the garage door's "open" state. The garage also doesn't allow for my passenger side door to open all the way, maybe only like the first "click".

Would this be a deal breaker for the rear falcon wing doors?
I had a problem like this and had to be mindful to never open the doors or trunk with garage open.

In the end I finally got tired of it and just lifted my garage door some so it's not a problem anymore (had some headroom in the garage, just the door was low) as otherwise all the worrying somebody (or I myself) would make an error was wearing me down and I had a couple of close calls.

New Don’t the fwds automatically stop for obstacles or Is that more hit and miss? (pun intended)
in theory they should do that but in practice if you search this forum you'll find a bunch of cases where they failed to detect an obstacle overhead so it's not totally fool-proof.

Additionally if the door has enough space to open with garage closed, then if you accidentally open the garage, the garage door can run into the FWD (or opened trunk) which is a separate concern not even related to actual car operations.

Our garage isn't terribly small; but it's small enough that none of the doors can open fully. We had to manually tell the rear hatch where to stop opening once; then it remembers. The falcon wing doors and the front doors see what's around them and don't open farther than possible. This works great for the front doors and one falcon wing door; but the other falcon wing door is so close to a wall that it barely opens enough to squeeze in and out (I am not sure a regular door would be much better). We've had the car for well over 3 years and none of the doors have ever hit anything.

I have heard that sometimes the doors will not see a narrow pipe or something like that. On one side of our car the only thing for the falcon wing door to avoid is the garage door track, which is a narrow piece of metal with holes in it - but our X always sees it.

We lived in a different house when we bought the X, and it had a similar-sized garage with similar issues. We didn't have any problems there either. Well, OK, on the day we bought the car I opened the rear hatch and almost stopped it before it hit the garage door. Shh, don't tell my wife; she never noticed the tiny nick. I was more careful the second time, told it when to stop, and we never had that problem again.

Last edited:
I have heard that sometimes the doors will not see a narrow pipe or something like that. On one side of our car the only thing for the falcon wing door to avoid is the garage door track, which is a narrow piece of metal with holes in it - but our X always sees it.
There is only the one sensor at the top between the two FWDs. So if the object is wide and flat it does a pretty good job. Thinks like pipes or rails may be missed by that one sensor and then the doors can open into them.

At least one person hung a board right above where the sensor was parked at to ensure the car had something to bounce off of to prevent these pseudo misses.

what about parking on slopes and in windy conditions? Are fwds or auto front doors affected much?

I don't recall ever having any problems on a slope.

I don't recall FWDs ever having a problem in wind, either. Once in really heavy winds, the front door which had automatically opened part-way suddenly flew all the way open...of course that's a risk with regular doors in wind too.

My old house also had a narrow, short garage.
My X never had a problem for more than 2 years when we moved. The kids did have to do gymnastics to get in / out of the car in the garage. The X similarly also never the garage lift box which protruded more than the ceiling.

adults basically waited until the car was in the driveway to get in and out.