TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

anyone hoping for a Model S convertible?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by onlinespending, Aug 28, 2012.

1. onlinespending

I have to say, I am secretly hoping a Model S convertible is announced sometime early next year. Admittedly I'd only get it if it were a sleek hard-top convertible (not a fan of the cloth ones), but I have to say the thought of a Model S convertible is nice indeed. With its frameless door windows, it's already set up nicely for the convertible option.

2. KangarooAustralia

KangarooAustralia EV Enthusiast

Yeah, I'd love a convertible model - I agree only with retractable hardtop, not soft top. :love:

3. dmetcalf

dmetcalf S258

Count me in too. Switching from a convertible to the current S sedan was my one reservation.

4. PhatCat

PhatCat Kisco Kid

Having had both the MB SLK and the BMW Z4, I am a big fan of hardtop convertibles. That said, I don't think it would be practical for the S. First you have the added weight of the top mechanism. Most convertible versions of sedans require extra bracing for rigidity for when the top is down. More weight. Due to the size of the cabin, the top would be long and wide...considerably larger than any folding top I am aware of.

But the larger issue is where would the top and its mechanism go? The hard top convertibles I've seen all have a rear deck that opens to receive the top, which is stored in part of the trunk, with the resulting trunk space significantly diminished. The rear window is also part of the folding top. The hatchback design of the S would seem to preclude this.

5. jimbakker666

jimbakker666 Member

I'm not sure it's possible without having an enormous impact on range.

6. 1young1

1young1 Model S #P5673

I would love to see a coupe convertible version, much like the Aston Martin Vantage.

7. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I'd love one. Range would only be impacted with the top down and seeing as most of my driving is around town it wouldn't bother me that much.

8. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

Anyone with mad Photoshop skillz want to take a stab at this?

9. Schlermie

Schlermie P4932 - Delivery: 12/22

There's an early Tesla PowerPoint slide made for investors that shows a Sedan, Crossover, Convertible (Cabriolet), and Minivan all built on the Model S platform.
    29639005-623x363.jpg

10. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

+1. Model S is for the family. Model C will be for me... :love:

11. onlinespending

@PhatCat. You bring up a great point about the hatch back causing issues for a hard-top convertible on the Model S.

I do think Tesla will introduce a sporty coupe well before any new roadster. A coupe has more mass appeal and I don't think it's an economically viable option to release another roadster that may struggle to sell more than 5 - 10k. With that said a coupe would lend itself well to a hard-top convertible option, so perhaps I'll have to wait till then :)

12. PhatCat

PhatCat Kisco Kid

I agree. 2 seat roadster sales went into the dumps for all makes when the recession started and have not recovered.

Sign me up for the Tesla coupe/convert. It would be hundreds of lbs lighter, several times the range and many thousands less expensive than a certain 4 seater.

13. KangarooAustralia

KangarooAustralia EV Enthusiast

It wouldn't be that hard to produce the Cabriolet given that the bulk of the hard work has already been done - developing the battery pack, drive train, suspension and steering. The rest is just a bit of structural work and body panels. :smile:

14. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Because the battery pack is a stressed element, the Model S has far more rigidity than a typical sedan. Consequently, it shouldn't be very hard to manage the structural issues that would normally arise from the loss of the hardtop as a structural member. The cabriolet would have to have a very different passenger compartment than the Model S, though: you can't do a "fastback" in a convertible. That said, I would never want to underestimate what cleverness the engineers at Tesla could apply to the problem.

15. 4sevens.com

4sevens.com Member

LOL van

the drop top definitely would solve the second row headroom issue