Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone in Boston Area Comment on needing winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About to pick up my model 3 AWD with 19 inch wheels and debating if I need to buy winter tires.

Use of the car will majority of time be highway into and out of Boston, with occasion trips to other destinations but almost always on highway.

If I went the winter tire route appreciate any advice on need wheels or simply having someone swap out tires. From research the ones below seem to look solid, but have very little exposure.

In addition (last question I promise), if you do get wheels/tires switched out how have people got them back to the house as I struggle to see the model 3 having enough room to store them on the trip back.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive&vehicleSearch=true

Thanks!!

...need to buy winter tires...

I have no winter experience but my guess is it is advisable to switch to winter tires if your car will expose to ice and snow.

If your road is always clear from ice and snow because the road crews work really hard, then you don't need it.

... the model 3 having enough room to store them on the trip back....

I got 4 18" tires on wheels into my Model 3 but there's hardly any space. You might need to move the right front seat all the way to the front and tilt the tires at an angle to make room. I imagine the 19" tire set should have the same outer diameter as 18" set so it should fit in the same space.

I live north of Boston and I have a RWD MR M3. The first thing I did was get X-Ice snow tires. I would have done the same if I had bought a AWD. While the traction control is amazing in.a Tesla, there is nothing better on snow and ice than snow tires.

I lived in Boston for 7 years w/ AWD Subarus, and my family had a place in Laconia, NH...I always get snow tires. A/S are mediocre in all scenarios vs. summer/snow tires, respectively.

Get Michelin X-ICE Xi3 (also eco rated for good efficiency and lower sound) or for performance snows get: Michelin Pilot Alpin PA# (# current offered)

I have stock 18s so I just have the rubber swapped twice a year. You have 19s, so while you could get 19" snow tires, it would be better to get dedicated 18s w/ TPMS from either TSportline or find someone selling their Aeros.

My X-ICE:

IMG_7372.JPG

I drove two winters on my OEM 20" continentals on my Model X. I mostly stayed at home when anything was on the pavement for fear of unplanned off road experiences. I did one drive in in the midst of an 18" snowfall and found that while the Tesla could accelerate remarkably well, slowing, turning, etc... needed to be handled with *extreme* caution. I just put 19" Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3's on a few weeks ago and they have been incredible in the past few storms. I can drive with [appropriate] confidence in slippery conditions, and my biggest fear is now those driving around me on all seasons.

If you're ok with staying the roads until clear, then maybe for you it's fine not to have them. If you want (or need) to be able to go out when road conditions are poor, then I would absolutely recommend winter tires. It is ultimately a personal choice based on your driving needs.

A shout out to the Electrified Garage for setting me up with the package!

About to pick up my model 3 AWD with 19 inch wheels and debating if I need to buy winter tires.

Use of the car will majority of time be highway into and out of Boston, with occasion trips to other destinations but almost always on highway.

If I went the winter tire route appreciate any advice on need wheels or simply having someone swap out tires. From research the ones below seem to look solid, but have very little exposure.

In addition (last question I promise), if you do get wheels/tires switched out how have people got them back to the house as I struggle to see the model 3 having enough room to store them on the trip back.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Winter+Sottozero+3&partnum=34VR9SZ3XLNCS&i1_Qty=4&autoMake=Tesla&autoModel=Model 3&autoYear=2020&autoModClar=Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive&vehicleSearch=true

Thanks!!
Yes, you'll need Winter tires. At least for the 18" rim the Michelin's are fantastic. I've run Michelin for decades. But the std tires they ship are 3 season tires. Guess which season they are not designed for...winter. Go to Nokian Tyres put in Tesla, Model 3 19"
You cannot beat a Nokian, been riding them since 2014
235/40R19 Winter tires / Nokian Tires

I have the Hakka R3 and love them!

Yes, get 18” snows.

I tried to convince a coworker he should not be running 19” OEM in Winter and get an 18” winter set. They live in Sudbury MA. They have blown out 3 Rims/Tires ($1000 just for the 3 Rims). Two at once in one case.

Even if not for snow traction you need it for potholes over winter if you run 19” or 20”.

Dual motor model 3 and I have dedicated 19” A/S and 18” Aeros with Michelin X-ice 3 and I love them. Like others here I switched from Subaru’s to my model 3 and it’s great in the snow. Are the snow tires necessary? No but the difference in performance is worth the price.

Lots to consider

Is there a huge difference if I was to get 19 winters versus getting new wheels and tires at 18 (feels like a huge pain in the pass to acquire and store).

If I was to get new 18 inch wheels any suggestions outside of the aero's (not a big fan of the look). That and where to go to buy/load in the north shore.

thnx

Yes, get 18” snows.

I tried to convince a coworker he should not be running 19” OEM in Winter and get an 18” winter set. They live in Sudbury MA. They have blown out 3 Rims/Tires ($1000 just for the 3 Rims). Two at once in one case.

Even if not for snow traction you need it for potholes over winter if you run 19” or 20”.
I forgot all about that! My first test drive in Dedham was in a Model S, The sales guy told me to NEVER get the low mass wheels (19"/20") as this is New England and one pothole (Yep, we do get a lot) would mean an awfully bad day.

Lots to consider

Is there a huge difference if I was to get 19 winters versus getting new wheels and tires at 18 (feels like a huge pain in the pass to acquire and store).

If I was to get new 18 inch wheels any suggestions outside of the aero's (not a big fan of the look). That and where to go to buy/load in the north shore.

thnx

I didn’t care for Aero look either but I didn’t care in the Winter. Car will be a mess most of winter anyway. And Aero’s will give you a little extra range that you can use in winter.

It’s more of a pain swapping tires than swapping wheels. And the tires take up as much space as the wheels.

You can order the whole package from Tesla. Note you may have to order covers separate.

19” snows would be fine traction wise but they are higher risk to damage with potholes.

Reactions: PikesPeak1899
My experience north of Boston for far too many decades is that real snow tires are fantastic but very rarely needed.

Fundamentally, we live in a very civilized corner of the Earth (notwithstanding the blizzard of '78) so most of the time we're dealing with plowed and salted roads where dry pavement cornering and stopping distance are the main issues. Once in a decade we're likely to get a real snowy mess where the government yet again fails to clean up the streets and traffic comes to a stop. However, other than that, IMHO, all season tires with plenty of tread depth are more than adequate. Don't let them wear down too far though.

Lots to consider

thnx
A few differences:

1) 18" tires are cheaper & more options for sizes/models are available than 19s.
2) 18" have a taller sidewall = more protection from potholes/curbs and the tire will be deeper into the snow vs a shallow sidewall.
3) 18" rims are lighter/smaller diameter, so the car will be better in snow as it will have less mass to spin, the car will be faster in the dry, and more energy efficient.
4) You paid extra for 19s, so keep them off of the dirty/dangerous winter roads so they stay nice for the summer to show off.

New 18s:

TSportline (TPMS & w/ or w/o tires preinstalled) T Sportline - Tesla Model S, X & 3 Aftermarket Accessories
TireRack (TPMS & w/ or w/o tires preinstalled) https://www.tirerack.com

Install:

Just have Tesla do it in Watertown or Dedham. Or you can do it at home if you buy a tire/wheel package that is pre-mounted.

Survived last winter with all season 18 oem tires on my LR RWD. So far so good with 19 oem all season tires which did very well in the last several snow storms already. Just be careful and slow when driving in snow. Switching to winter tires is such a hassle and not necessary if you are a good driver.

Correction. “Good drivers” in New England go through the hassle of using the appropriate tires for the season they drive in.

Reactions: PikesPeak1899
Tesla won't (or at least wouldn't, maybe the policy has changed) install aftermarket wheels on a car. Or mount unsupported tires on factory wheels, for that matter.

Tesla Mobile delivered my Tesla snow package. And they would have installed to but I asked them not to.

Mobile will do tire swaps too. I think it might be $100.

They won’t work outside under 40F.

I highly recommend the Tesla snow package (after 20 years of Nokians) I’m a performance snow tire convert now. Wow no more squishy corners. Performance snows are quiet as a mouse (better than summer tires) and feels just as capable in snow/ice. Wish I could run them year round.

No worries of what Tesla road side will support or service with Tesla package.