Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone in Canada receive the new 6.2 update yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed it this morning on my vintage S. Being vintage, I miss out on some of the fancy new stuff but I was still interested to check it out. But I have to say that I am not impressed with it. Just for fun I entered in a fictitious trip, from my place in Burnaby to Kamloops to see what the new navigation routing would be like. I was no where near a full charge but I knew I had plenty charge to get to Hope, so I expected it to route me to the Supercharger there then on to Kamloops. Well, instead it thought it was better to cross the boarder and go to the Burlington supercharger, then back across the border again & up to Hope. That is the dumbest route I can imagine what with waiting in line at the boarder and the extra 3 hours of driving. It predicted I would arrive in Burlington with 29% charge left, while if I just turned off charge routing it predicted I would have arrived in Hope with 17% charge left. That is a no brainer decision if you ask me. So, there is no way I would blindly follow this auto charge routing, that's for sure. It needs to be carefully scrutinized before heading out.

Morristhecat and others - if you receive the 6.2 update, or if you receive a newer revision after already having received 6.2 before, please head over to the Firmware Upgrade Tracker and help us track the roll out of 6.2.
This tool has already provided us really interesting insights (.124 mostly rolled out to AP cars, .136 apparently exclusively rolled out to non-AP cars, both still being rolled out in parallel but .124 slowed down a lot, etc).
But without people entering their data the tool won't help us.
It only takes a few moments, please contribute back!

Received the update (2.4.136) for my classic P85+ on Sunday, via really weak WIFI.

Always nice to get an update, but this is probably the least exciting release yet.

Valet Mode - I've never valet'd any of my cars ever, and I don't plan to start now. Neither will I be allowing children to drive it.

Navigation/Trip Planner:
a) There are no Superchargers or Destination chargers within range of my home.
b) I've heard it will program some pretty ridiculous detours in order to work them into a route.

Drop a pin feature: This I might use.

@dirkhh Info entered into the FUT.

Last edited:
You set up a pin for that and the drive has to type in that PIN to get out of valet mode.

erg... century old approach

I was hoping Tesla would take a more modern approach and license the patent from Blackberry for something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucpQ_0iHrWg

The best thing about this is, standers-by could WATCH YOU unlock valet... and still not know what the actual code was. Simply amazing.

Last edited:
erg... century old approach

I was hoping Tesla would take a more modern approach and license the patent from Blackberry for something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucpQ_0iHrWg

The best thing about this is, standers-by can WATCH YOU unlock valet... and still not know what the actual code was. Simply amazing.

I'm sure much of the valet mode functionality has been in the car for a long time (just not user accessible) and they just had to enable it. Similarly to when they limit Test Drive cars to 80mph.

Implementing something like picture password would likely require more dedicated coding. This isn't to say they couldn't add it in the future, as it does seem pretty cool.

eThe best thing about this is, standers-by could WATCH YOU unlock valet... and still not know what the actual code was. Simply amazing.

You lock it into Valet mode with a 4-digit code, then unlock with the same code. Next time you put it into Valet mode, you have to enter a new code. You could choose the same again, or make it completely different.

If you forget your code, the instructions say that you can unlock valet mode via the phone app - not sure how, as I haven't tried that yet. I have the Android app and there hasn't been a new version pushed to my phone and no new button like "exit valet mode" has appeared.