Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone in MD use Pepco's EV rate program?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like they are only offering a whole house time of use rate. You will need to determine if you can time shift any electrical consumption other than your vehicle recharge. In VA they offered an option to get a separate meter for exclusive use for recharging your EV. That calculation was simple; balance the cost of having an electrician run separate line for the EV and wire it to the meter which Dominion installed free of charge. Your calculations are more complex. If you do not have any electrical consumption that you can time shift it might not be worth it. Look at your TOTAL consumption history and balance it against projected consumption costs with your EV in the cheapest rate and your ur other consumption in the higher rate to see if it will be cheaper. Unless you can time shift other consumption or drive a horrendous amount with your EV, it will probably not be worth it. At least with total house time of use you will not have the capital expense of the line for the separate meter to balance it.

• Informative
Reactions: AKinDC
Looks like they are only offering a whole house time of use rate. You will need to determine if you can time shift any electrical consumption other than your vehicle recharge. In VA they offered an option to get a separate meter for exclusive use for recharging your EV. That calculation was simple; balance the cost of having an electrician run separate line for the EV and wire it to the meter which Dominion installed free of charge. Your calculations are more complex. If you do not have any electrical consumption that you can time shift it might not be worth it. Look at your TOTAL consumption history and balance it against projected consumption costs with your EV in the cheapest rate and your ur other consumption in the higher rate to see if it will be cheaper. Unless you can time shift other consumption or drive a horrendous amount with your EV, it will probably not be worth it. At least with total house time of use you will not have the capital expense of the line for the separate meter to balance it.

Yeah, that was my thought as well...seems like odd deal, and very hard to figure out if it's worth it financially or not.

I have had it for several years now - frankly, I cannot for the life of me figure out what I was paying per KWH before or now - but according to my wife our bills have not changed much - which means we are saving some from the program as we charge my Tesla regularly.

Pepco will do a separate rate/meter just for your charger....and I think MD offered a rebate on some of the cost.

If they will do a separate rate for a dedicated line used for charging, it might be worth it especially if there is a MD rebate of part of cost. There was also a federal tax credit for installation of the charger line that I used. Do some checking and every year you stay in your home will come closer to the break even point!

I did some number crunching on it in a different thread here: Who in Maryland has applied for the Pepco Time of Use Discounted EV Charging?

Unless you can get a dedicated hook-up for your EVSE exclusively, the on-peak rate is a punishing $0.19 per kWh while I've been averaging $0.03 for my whole house before taxes and fees. Applying the TOU to your whole house is liable to cost you much more than just sticking with the standard rates.

So Pepco has a program for EV owners that gives you a rate discount off peak, but in turn bumps up the rates during peak hours.
Anyone in this program? Do you save any money using it?

Electric Vehicle Program (MD) | Pepco - An Exelon Company

thanks

It depends entirely on your energy consumption habits. Generally, if you don't have gas cooking, gas hot water and gas heat, time-of-use probably isn't right for you.

I'm on Dominion's schedule 1S rate plan, which is time of use with demand charges. I'm have gas appliances a window air conditioner in the living room and I'm able to realize significant savings over their standard rate plan. Average all-in rate is just shy of 10 cents per kWh including taxes, fees, generation charges, 100% REC offset, etc.

I am waiting for Delmarva to introduce TOU. Most likely another meter for EV off peak in nights to early morning AM. They were just approved by state regulator few weeks ago. So I am sure they’ll come up with a plan later this year for TOU on EV charging.