Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone in Mid-Atlantic receive Firmware 7.1 yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received an email from Tesla at 4:48 this afternoon about 7.1 and am wondering how long until I get the update pending message. I'm a month long owner, so no experience with FW updates yet.

Has anyone/everyone else received the email notification?

Also, does anyone know the order in which cars are updated? Locale? VIN? Random?

Thanks,
--Rich
MS 70D, #116403, dlvy 12/12/15, Midnight Blue, pano, autopilot

I got mine on Saturday morning, as did a local friend. I seem to be at the head of the line for these things, I got 7.0 on the first day as well.

As for what order the cars get updates, seems like nobody knows. There's a lot of speculation out there but no concrete info. Your best bet is just to have patience and wait. If it ends up taking a very long time and you still don't have the update (like, I dunno, weeks), then you could contact customer support and you might be able to convince them to push the update to your car.

I received an email from Tesla at 4:48 this afternoon about 7.1 and am wondering how long until I get the update pending message. I'm a month long owner, so no experience with FW updates yet.

Has anyone/everyone else received the email notification?

Also, does anyone know the order in which cars are updated? Locale? VIN? Random?

Welcome to the Tesla club. You'll love the car. I live in Potomac and have had the car for over two years and both of our cars were updated to 7.1 on the day it was released.

As to the timing of the updates, no one knows how Tesla decides to send out the updates. From an owner's perspective it seems purely random, but who knows; Tesla may/must have some algorithm but it is not public. It could take weeks or longer for everyone to get the update, so be patient.

Thanks everyone. I got my ready notification at 6:46 this morning, started the update at 6:04 and was finished at 7:07.

Thanks @jacobp for your thoughts; yeah, after scouring the main 7.1 update thread, it really seems random (or driven by unknown algorithm).

Can't wait to try out the new features.

Thanks all for the feedback. I received the email on Wednesday evening and had the in-car notification at about 6:45 am Thursday morning. I started the update process at 6 pm and it took 1 hr. I love the new capabilities and the improved AP behavior, and relieved that the AP speed limitations are reasonable. It's the coolest thing in the world to have the car improve like that from just a S/W update.

Thanks for the hello, @jacobp. Reading through the 7.1 release thread, I agree with your assessment that it's either random or per a private algorithm (I'd wager actually (pseudo) random). Frustrating for us owners, but it seems smart for them to roll it out over some time.

Elon suggesting full autonomy (summon from anywhere) possible by 2018 sounds pretty optimistic. But I'm looking forward to future updates that for sure will bring us closer to that reality.

--Rich
MS 70D, #116403, dlvy 12/12/15, Midnight Blue, pano, autopilot