Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone in Missouri get their Missouri tags yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh yea, forgot to mention...
They didn't include my Missouri Special Fuel Decal. Not sure if it will come separately or what.

And not that it matters much, but the paperwork has a slot for 'Horsepower'--it says 35!! LOL!
So..... I called the DMV today...started as #54 on the wait list to speak to someone. They were, to be fair, pretty quick and I was only on hold for about 20 minutes before getting a human who fortunately understood the problems (misspelled name on title and lack of special fuel decal), unfortunately she advised I go to the local DMV due to concern about conveying all the details in the mail.

Off I went, started as just second in line, but ultimately spent about an hour talking to a helpful, if somewhat slow, representative at the desk who ultimately had to call Jeff. City for help and, you guessed it, got put on hold for about 20 minutes to get assistance! I think we got the proper form completed, signed and submitted, but it needs to go back to Jeff City to get the new title issued.

They were able to get me my special fuel decal (another 10 minutes of paperwork and searching to find them in a back room)...so now I have a hideous bright orange sticker on my right lower windshield...yay?

I did, also, learn that my registration is still valid even with my name misspelled, so I'm driving legal, just without a valid title. Also, my personalized license plate, "PLG ZEN" is approved and I'll hopefully have it in the next 2-4 weeks.

I've had the car for 3 1/2 months....

Oh yea, forgot to mention...
They didn't include my Missouri Special Fuel Decal. Not sure if it will come separately or what.

And not that it matters much, but the paperwork has a slot for 'Horsepower'--it says 35!! LOL!
That does not sound right. The law says:
3. The horsepower of all motor vehicles [...] propelled by electric power, shall be rated as being between twelve and twenty-four horsepower.
http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C300-399/3010000070.HTM

The taxable horsepower has nothing to do with actual HP and is about 10 times less than actual HP in ICE vehicles. It appears that Tesla (or DMV) divided the actual HP by 10 instead of using the law.
That means you probably overpaid $3/year for your registration :eek:

Last edited:
That does not sound right. The law says:
3. The horsepower of all motor vehicles [...] propelled by electric power, shall be rated as being between twelve and twenty-four horsepower.
http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C300-399/3010000070.HTM

The taxable horsepower has nothing to do with actual HP and is about 10 times less than actual HP in ICE vehicles. It appears that Tesla (or DMV) divided the actual HP by 10 instead of using the law.
That means you probably overpaid $3/year for your registration :eek:

I learned yesterday that "35" is a code used for 6-cylinder vehicles! Apparently the don't have a code for real EVs....we're breaking new ground here in MO and a 6-cylinder is as close of an equivalent as they could get I guess.

Evan, Via Tapatalk

So..... I called the DMV today...started as #54 on the wait list to speak to someone. They were, to be fair, pretty quick and I was only on hold for about 20 minutes before getting a human who fortunately understood the problems (misspelled name on title and lack of special fuel decal), unfortunately she advised I go to the local DMV due to concern about conveying all the details in the mail.

Off I went, started as just second in line, but ultimately spent about an hour talking to a helpful, if somewhat slow, representative at the desk who ultimately had to call Jeff. City for help and, you guessed it, got put on hold for about 20 minutes to get assistance! I think we got the proper form completed, signed and submitted, but it needs to go back to Jeff City to get the new title issued.

They were able to get me my special fuel decal (another 10 minutes of paperwork and searching to find them in a back room)...so now I have a hideous bright orange sticker on my right lower windshield...yay?

I did, also, learn that my registration is still valid even with my name misspelled, so I'm driving legal, just without a valid title. Also, my personalized license plate, "PLG ZEN" is approved and I'll hopefully have it in the next 2-4 weeks.

I've had the car for 3 1/2 months....

You actually put the sticker on.... Mine's sitting in my glove box until I am incentivized to put it on my car. It's keeping my front license plate company.

I learned yesterday that "35" is a code used for 6-cylinder vehicles! Apparently the don't have a code for real EVs....we're breaking new ground here in MO and a 6-cylinder is as close of an equivalent as they could get I guess.
35 is not a code for 6-cylinder vehicles because the taxable horsepower formula also depends on bore diameter.
The formula for "taxable horsepower" is: bore(inches)-squared times number of cylinders divided by 2.5
This formula does not apply to electric vehicles, so they are supposed to be rated at 12-23 TAX HP according to Missouri Statute 301.070.
Anyway, they should be following the law instead of making up a new "equivalency".

Statute 301.070: http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C300-399/3010000070.HTM
Chart of taxable HP for common vehicles: http://dor.mo.gov/pdf/taxablehorsepowerchart.pdf

35 is not a code for 6-cylinder vehicles because the taxable horsepower formula also depends on bore diameter.
The formula for "taxable horsepower" is: bore(inches)-squared times number of cylinders divided by 2.5
This formula does not apply to electric vehicles, so they are supposed to be rated at 12-23 TAX HP according to Missouri Statute 301.070.
Anyway, they should be following the law instead of making up a new "equivalency".

Statute 301.070: http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C300-399/3010000070.HTM
Chart of taxable HP for common vehicles: http://dor.mo.gov/pdf/taxablehorsepowerchart.pdf
Well that's interesting...what is taxable HP, is it how my local taxes are determined? If so, I certainly want to get that changed.