TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anyone in SE Michigan go through the process of getting a second meter from DTE?

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by KettleOfHawks, Sep 23, 2015.

1. KettleOfHawks

KettleOfHawks Member

I was wondering if anyone in MI has gone through the process of getting a second meter installed with DTE and how easy it was? Anything I should be prepared for?

2. megawhizz

megawhizz Member

Process was seamless except for the expected issues with getting the city inspection on the work being up to code. Very happy with the second meter on the PEV rate. I had two outlets installed in my garage, just in case I decide to park in a different spot (or buy a second Tesla :smile:).

Only issue with DTE was that they were underbilling me for about 6 months; I had to call them to get it fixed and then paid a hefty bill in accumulated charges.

3. jgs

jgs Member

Virtually the same for me except DTE was overbilling me with their estimated readings so I ended up with a credit. I don't know why it took them so long to get onto actual usage readings. Other than that, DTE was (to my surprise!) exemplary.

4. KettleOfHawks

KettleOfHawks Member

Who should I contact first: an electrician, the city, or DTE? Thanks again for all the help.

5. jgs

jgs Member

I started with DTE and that worked well for me.

6. tomsModelS

tomsModelS Member

I had solar panels so the solar installer brought in the electrician, then, he took care of the 14-50 outlet and the meter housing. The next step was to get city approval that it met code, then DTE was called to install the meter.

As mentioned above, it also took around 6-9 months for DTE to get the billing correct, and in my case because of the solar, and my summer production, I ended up with a big credit that should carry me through most of the winter.

7. Joel

Joel Active Member

Contact both. Send me a PM if you need detailed information.

8. jgs

jgs Member

Now that I'm at a proper keyboard, let me expand a little bit on my previous comment. I started out contacting DTE last fall to see if their incentive program was still operating – they had one where they would install an EVSE for free. (Well, up to a certain limit.) The program was over, but to my surprise they contacted me several months later to tell me a place had opened up, so I got lucky. They hooked me up with a contractor, and since they were picking up the tab, I did not feel the need to shop around. I was happy with the contractor they sent.

Although I'm sure the incentive program is long-over by now, I was left feeling impressed that the DTE employee who told me she'd get back to me if anything changed actually got back to me. In my experience, this is almost unprecedented. It was also clear at the time that the DTE employee actually knew something about Teslas and which contractors were experienced doing installs for them, so even if they aren't paying for it, I suspect they would be a good place to go for a referral.

By the way, make sure you save your receipts from your install. I'm not sure whether Congress renewed the program for this tax year or not, but last year EVSE installs (including NEMA 14-50) were eligible for a tax credit (subject to AMT blah blah blah check with your tax advisor blah blah blah).

Edit -- Oh, maybe you already have your NEMA 14-50 and all you need really is just a meter. Even so, I'd save the receipts and check with your tax advisor, unless it turns out to be so inexpensive that it's not even worth bothering.

9. MichFin

MichFin Member

They recommend putting in a 100 amp feed into the second meter which is what I did I now wish I had done at least 150 amp. I have two EV's Tesla 85D and a Chevy Volt. With both my cars charging at the same time the Model complains about the current and lowers the charging to 30 amps which is not enough to fully charge overnight from empty. Of course this has only affected my 2 times in the last 4 months. But if I get a third this will definitely be a problem.

10. KettleOfHawks

KettleOfHawks Member

Does anyone have a recommendation for a contractor to install the second meter and charging outlet? Just placed my order over the weekend and excited to get started. I'm in Oakland Twp. if that matters. Thanks!

11. jgs

jgs Member

Some reccs over here Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

12. MichFin

MichFin Member

My brother in law is a journeyman electrician and put it in for me but he doesn't like working south of commerce.