Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone in SoCal install the rear lighted appliqué?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted the same question in the regional forum without a response so figured I try here where there’s more traffic. Looking for a helping experienced hand since it looks pretty involved. Will happily provide food and beverage of choice. ;)

Will also gladly take a shop referral who has done the install. Thanks.

Not in Cali but installed mine wasn't terrible but the instructions do leave something to be desired in parts. Finding what colors your wires are was my problem but they are in the same spot so even if the colors are different just test before final install. Pulling the power wire up into the hatch area is a little tricky but not too bad. The one guy on YouTube Erik that does Tesla videos had good captures of the wire locations that helped me verify. Took about 3 hours by myself.

Yeah, I've watched Erik's video at least a dozen times and under normal conditions I feel ok tackling it myself. But these days with three kids running around, 3 hours is a tight window. I can just picture my car sitting in my garage as night falls with the rear hatch disassembled with the wires hanging all over and me needing to get the kids to bed and rush off to work in the morning...

Lol definitely get that, I had the added benefit of taking apart the hatch area a few times for other projects. I could see it being a half day on first go for something like that now. I did find that you could get all signals from the top hatch and only needing to pull the one power wire from below that would speed the process quite a bit. Having 2 sets of hands helps with putting hatch trim on as well as the applique itself. I did it solo and was kind of a PITA, I also managed to cut my camera wire so ended up having to take it all apart again to replace that lol.

Hey guys, glad to see that some are trying to do the install solo. The videos are better today then they had been in the past.
I would agree that your first timers will take 1/2 a day to do the install, and that an extra set of hands will help. I actually surprised
myself when I attached the large trunk molding by myself. The most important part was to aline the clips at the top of the trunk.
Once they lined up the rest just snapped in.

Ok, I did take part in a dozen or so installs. Just a hint, I no longer look for a 12 volt supply in the rear trunk. I pull a wire from the fuse box through the head liner and to the trunk lid. If you need a constant 12 volt it may be better to go direct to the battery.