Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone in the UK 'upgraded' their Model Y suspension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the MPP coilover kit on my 3 for 18 months+ now and one of the bearings in the Tesla upper control arms have gone. Known problem fixed by a later revision of the arm. Normally fully covered under warranty, The SC accepted the arms are covered by warranty, but weren't happy touching the MPP suspension to fit them. Pretty sure legally you can force the issue as long as its not a fault with the new parts or caused by the fitting of them.

I was in a rush and was happy to have the diagnosis confirmed and that it was OK to drive for the moment, so took the offer of £60 per side to buy new control arms. I'll get the same guy that fitted the suspension to do these.

They don't actually have a leg to stand on, but you might need to go as far as small claims to force the issue if you want them to do the work. They aren't very mod friendly as an org, although at a personal level the techs at my SC are all good mates with the guy that did my work :rolleyes:.
I don't think you can have any real complaint about Tesla a) not warranting components in the proximate area of aftermarket modifications and b) doing rectification work that touches said modifications.

It might complicate the job, take them "off menu" in terms of the work block to do the job, and that's before you get into what happens if they damage the modifications somehow. With something as important as suspension, with the original parts not being there (and taking even more time to refit if it comes to it), it could end up with your car out of action.

That might sound outlandish, but at the end of the day these places work on menu prices & time blocks. When I fit my USB-C retrofit kit to my car the ranger was going to do it for me (he was already there for another job) until I told him it involved an aftermarket loom adapter (about 10cm long), at which point he told me that he couldn't touch it.

The Y suspension is terrible, plain and simple. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't driving many luxury cars.
I totally agree the model Y ride is unbearable . A huge mistake, I had been so delighted in owning a model 3 for a year. Whilst they said it was a firmer ride I was not expecting the constant juddering and damage to my back.. Now trying to source an air suspension system to retrofit?

I totally agree the model Y ride is unbearable . A huge mistake, I had been so delighted in owning a model 3 for a year. Whilst they said it was a firmer ride I was not expecting the constant juddering and damage to my back.. Now trying to source an air suspension system to retrofit?
I agree a y with air suspension (OEM style, not 'slammed baggers' style) would be awesome.

Reactions: Kenners
I'll be passing Notts on the M1 on Saturday noon ish, if you wish to try mine which is on MPP coilovers

I'd have thought any garage could do it, you may want to look at HEVRA ones as they're used to EV's, not because this has anything to do with the EV side, but because I believe insurance, risk assessments and the "world has gone mad over some of this" means others might not want to touch an EV, even to change a key fob battery,

There's also a well know indy called Cleevly, a bit far, but it's the type of thing they'd do. I think there's another near Rugby which might be a lot more convenient, but it's "just suspension" bits.

I'm also not sure you have to go through the complaint side of things before they let you order, you could just try asking.

But please keep us updated, I am in a similar situation

Reactions: goldenwunder
I test drove a 23 plate long range today vs my current 71 plate long range. Huge improvement in ride quality.

Few pictures: Front Suspension (2023 = version D, mine = version B)
700776B7-10A7-4EB4-8FF3-BA82C0FA21FF.jpeg

Rear Suspension
(2023 = version B, can’t see mine)
6BE2FA70-51CF-45E6-8F80-99E54B2B8E22.jpeg

Part numbers look different to the Reddit thread - could be a Shanghai vs Fremont difference

I test drove a 23 plate long range today vs my current 71 plate long range. Huge improvement in ride quality.

Few pictures: Front Suspension (2023 = version D, mine = version B)
View attachment 926329

Rear Suspension
(2023 = version B, can’t see mine)
View attachment 926330

Part numbers look different to the Reddit thread - could be a Shanghai vs Fremont difference
They have different part numbers, so maybe it’s not just a revision thing

I wonder if upgrading my MY suspension would make the car more saleable (if I opt for a private sale) when the time comes. And I have the benefit of improved springs in the meantime.
As someone that once spent 20k modding a Celica; you don't get any of your money back. Eventually sold that for about £1k more than book ☹️. And the guy wreaked it the first night he had it. Yes, I'm still bitter.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Luxury suspension might be overselling it a bit. It is a lot nicer than the first gen Model Y suspension though, that is shockingly awful.
Yeah and I was speaking to a Model Y P owner the other day who had tried the improved LR suspension (from Q2 2022 onwards I believe?) and he said that the Performance was an improvement even on the LR version which apparently was many x times better than the first gen horrible suspension version Y. And that's even with 21 inch wheels compared to my 20 inch wheels. I don't mind me LR suspension though, think it feels nice.

If I were to mod one thing, it might be to lower the car an inch or two so the wheels fill the arches more but that'd be just for aesthetics which I don't think is worth it.