Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone in the UK 'upgraded' their Model Y suspension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm, I thought the only drawback of M3 is its ride quality compared to other German luxury cars and Rangerovers. Now it sounds like Y is worse than M3 leaves me with no other choice next time round then!
we drove down to Guildford tesla in our Discovery 4 for our MY test drive...ironically used to be a land rover dealership (still on streetview). The land rover on 19" and 55 sidewalls just wallows on its air suspension, so a bit of a magic carpet ride, but can lean alarmingly.
The test MY was on inductions and the difference in ride to the landrover was very noticeable - the ride actually felt closer to our Honda FRV, which is on coil springs and 17" - so not uncomfortable, but does depend on what you are comparing it to.
I think the lack of engine noise also concentrates the mind on the suspension, as it can reverberate over certain bumps through the cabin

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
I'm agreement with the firm ride. I just cant justify spending another couple grand on top of the 56K+ already spent on the car to 'fix' the suspension. I came from having an Audi Q3 S-line for 8 years which was pretty firm too but the MY has a different type of firmness.

On smooth straight line roads with the sudden speed bumps, the MY can handles those fine and I felt it was softer than the Q3 which felt like the underside was collapsing every time it goes through a speed bump. However on those uneven twisty country roads, I get thrown around side to side like a rag doll in the MY even at low speeds <30-35mph whereas the Q3 felt more forgiving on those very same roads.

I'm on 19" gemini's with the tyre pressures set at 42psi cold and personally feel it didn't make much of a difference.

That said, we're still enjoying the car very much and the pro's (infrastructure, tech, space, acceleration etc.) far outweighs all the cons, so we're okay to compromise on a couple things about the car.
I wonder if that's because of the seats?

One of my biggest criticisms of my 3 is that the seats are not remotely encapsulating (if that's the right word). I've got a M3P so this problem is magnified even more. Of all of the cars I've had my M3P is probably the second faster, but easily has the least appropriate seats for the job.

From what I can tell the seats are basically the same in the Y, so I could understand sliding around on them on twisty roads.

Reactions: pow216
I wonder if that's because of the seats?

One of my biggest criticisms of my 3 is that the seats are not remotely encapsulating (if that's the right word). I've got a M3P so this problem is magnified even more. Of all of the cars I've had my M3P is probably the second faster, but easily has the least appropriate seats for the job.

From what I can tell the seats are basically the same in the Y, so I could understand sliding around on them on twisty roads.
Yep - not nearly enough side bolstering either on the back or the base. Seats in my S were much better, and hugged you, but still not as good as the seats in my previous BMW's which had inflatable side bolsters. That was a much firmer seat though, and an out and out performance car, so some people wouldn't want that on a 3/Y I guess. I would though.

Reactions: Durzel
The land rover on 19" and 55 sidewalls just wallows on its air suspension, so a bit of a magic carpet ride, but can lean alarmingly.

Sounds like the Model-S :)

causes the windows to stop going up and can take several attempts to close the windows at times, anyone else experienced this?

I have that. But its not bumpy road or me, mine can do that when it is stationary. I assumed it was something in the rubber trim that made it think a child's finger was in the way. If I hold my finger on the close-button it slices off what is in the way regardless! and closes.

However on those uneven twisty country roads, I get thrown around side to side like a rag doll in the MY even at low speeds <30-35mph whereas the Q3 felt more forgiving on those very same roads.
Yes I feel the same especially on roundabout compared to the 3 the Y does seems to throw you around more, I think the seats could be better in the Y as it wasn't a problem with the 3

1,517 miles in on 19” Gemini wheels, and I’ve got used to the ride.

It’s fine most of the time. It’s definitely firm, but you only really notice it on very badly surfaced roads, where it can get jittery. I’ve only found one road where that’s prolonged enough to be irritating and cause me to avoid going that way, and that road really needs resurfacing

Hi All
We are 1000+ miles into the Model Y (it's our 4th EV, but our first Tesla).
I'm finding the ride to be AWFUL. Very jarring, jolting, skipping etc.. Is it a Bad car? Am I the only one with the issue? :confused:
I can't believe I'm even contemplating upgrading the suspension (or even selling it!). I'm very competent and happy to carry out any suspension work/Swap myself...(and inform the insurance company of course before someone shouts.. ). Has anyone upgraded in the UK (I say UK as the roads here are a delight.. not smooth.. more a series of short infills that kind of merge together to form a surface akin to the surface of a mogul field )

But it's a Brand New Car! Why is it so bad? Our MGZSEV was better.. in fact, my Renault Kangoo ZE van is better on the road!! That's no exaggeration! I'm struggling to think of a worse car that we have owned (perhaps an R53 race suspension Mini Cooper?). I'm even thinking about asking Tesla if I can test drive another Y as the one we test drove before we got it did not appear to be as bad??
So I'm a bit mystified? I LOVE virtually all other aspects of the vehicle.
All suggestions are very much appreciated.. 👍
Just linking back to the original point. If you know your way around a car, possibly do a manual check with the wheels off that everything is in the right place and everything is tight and there are no obvious problems. And then get either Tesla or an independent to check the alignment? My M3's alignment was waaay out at delivery - it went in straight lines but felt really weird, Tesla sorted it for free (I think, couple of years ago now).

I then did decide that the M3 was just too American for me, too much spring, not enough damping. Totally inappropriate for the capabilities of the car and it got really badly unsettled with the slightest lump on a sweeping corner. Swapped in some mountain pass comfort springs and dampers and some much beefed up sway bars. Now it's lovely, still pretty firm and a bit lumpy, but all much more under control.

I did find at the start of the winter I'd accidentally got pretty low on tyre pressure (about 32 I think?). Was very comfortable, but badly inefficient and drove like a bit of a dog tbh. Just to establish a lower limit 😁.

Worth talking to Tesla tho, especially if you think it's significantly different to your test drive, but they likely won't do anything that you/independent couldn't also do.

Reactions: DeejUK
I've had a 3LR for two years now and I'm testing a Y next week so will be interested to see the difference.

I’ve had a M3 LR since Sept 2019 and did a test drive of the MY a few weeks ago. Both my wife and I found the MY to have a better, more refined ride than the M3, this was on a variety of urban A and B roads and a stretch of dual carriageway in Cardiff. It was only a 30 minute test drive but it was enough to persuade us to trade in the M3 and order the MY, as we also preferred the higher driving position and practicality of the MY. I went into the test drive expecting a harsher, crashier ride but was pleasantly surprised. The test drive MY was on 19 inch wheels, I’ve no idea what the tyre pressures were, didn’t check that.

Will be interesting to hear your post test drive perspective.

Finally Test drove the model Y, generally impressed with the car overall but concur on the suspension.

Could definitely do with some refinement and I also found the car a little jittery , it appeared a bit bouncy of that makes sense. I'm used to large wheels and low profile tyres.

This was a LR with 20", have an order for the performance so I wonder if it wi be much worse.

With sports suspension i'm hoping it will feel a little more settled due to stiffness of springs etc .

Will let the wife test drive and see what she thinkgs

I have fitted eibach springs.
I wanted them for the aesthetics more than improving the ride comfort, found the standard setup to be no worse or better than the Audi SQ5 we had previously.
Having had the springs fitted and full alignment carried out i can say it does make a difference. I feel the car handles better, yes it still feels the bumps, but no worse than i experienced on the standard springs. Even my wife was happy with the ride comfort on the Eibachs.

Attachments

• IMG_2199.jpg
    IMG_2199.jpg
    537.9 KB · Views: 142
Reactions: Casss and Toblerone
I have fitted eibach springs.
I wanted them for the aesthetics more than improving the ride comfort, found the standard setup to be no worse or better than the Audi SQ5 we had previously.
Having had the springs fitted and full alignment carried out i can say it does make a difference. I feel the car handles better, yes it still feels the bumps, but no worse than i experienced on the standard springs. Even my wife was happy with the ride comfort on the Eibachs.
Interesting, thanks! In the M3 world just doing springs was found generally to be quite problematic as it's actually the damping that kind of sucks. On the stock setup it's really easy to hit the bumpstops which is why it's pretty harsh, along with the lack of damping leading to it bouncing down the motorway. Good to know the Y's have a cheaper option.