Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone in the UK 'upgraded' their Model Y suspension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All our arses feel differently about this. My arse is happy.

My point is - people should test drive before they buy. I think there's a lot of over dramatisation of the setup because people didn't, and bought the wrong car for them. Simples.
We didn’t test drive our MY but we did test drove an M3. We also test drove a KIA EV6, Renault Zoe, Leaf, we couldn’t test drive the Audi Etron or VW ID but then when we spec’d the Audi to the MY level we were in MX territory.

So I suppose horses for courses. However, I think some posters are struggling to adapt to the accelerator.

…and expecting a completely different car for the money.

My ass loves it!

Reactions: Casss
Don't take this as an attempt to nullify you sharing your experience, BUT, and I think this is a big BUT... I think there is an issue with comparing the Model Y (a 55k car) to a Model S and Model X raven. Did you not test drive it? Sorry if this is harsh but I can't fathom how you could go into this thinking that a sporty crossover with a strut front and multi-link rear coil setup would ride over rough terrain like an adaptive air suspension setup would.
I think your cutting Tesla slack here where they honestly could have done better. I’ve had a BMW M5 that could ride extremely flat around corners yet was the most comfortable non-air ride car I’ve ever driven. Air suspension isn’t an instant answer to a more comfortable ride, just look at some cars like the pre-facelift E63S as an example.

Point being the Y isn’t a sports car, it’s a small crossover SUV. It should have more comfortable suspension and that is also possible without heavily ruining the ride. I think the 3 for instance rides lovely.

Two months in with 4K miles.

I live in Scotland and around me every road rural for hours of driving, all of it is winding (Excellent for bikers) and undulating with plenty of bad tarmac - due to the cold weather pretty much all year round - Glasgow has some of the best holes going!

I have no issues driving it, no lurching or swerving or any problems with the accelerator, it’s not as sensitive as a throttle on a motorcycle.

If people are this unhappy or hate the suspension/car then that’s buyers remorse. Sell it and buy something else - if not in a lease. Buy something with boat like suspension. This is a perfect market for 2nd hand cars.
You don’t have to have boat like suspension to be comfortable. I had a BMW M5 that cornered very flat and was also the most comfortable non-air suspensioned car I’ve ever owned. Not a competition model, those ones are quite a bit more firm mind you. More comfortable I’d say than my Discovery which is on air springs.

Point being you can find a good balance between handling and comfort, on the Model Y Tesla’s failed on this. Fine if your happy with it but it could be more comfortable without throwing much in the way of handling either. You can have your cake and mostly eat it in this area.

Busy day tomorrow...
IMG_2943.jpg

Well, they're on and the ride is sublime... It was always ok on motorways etc but where it failed miserably was at low speed in town, the constant jiggling and shuddering was really getting on my nerves.

The small bumps no longer exist, the larger ones feel like they've been covered in memory foam. Don't get me wrong, it's no air sprung Mercedes but it is significantly better than stock. I've gone for full soft all round and it's currently sitting 1 inch lower so i may address that by lifting it slightly.

The car tracks straight and true with no bouncing that you often see when a car has been lowered badly and is a pleasure to drive. The only thing we don't have here is 4 wheel alignment equipment as our workshop caters for HGV's and i really don't see the need because of the way it drives but i will monitor tyre wear closely over the next few months.

If anyone near East Manchester wishes to compare then i don't mind meeting up at a weekend locally.

Interested to know the cost of your fix (including a reasonable guess at labour cost/time) and whether you checked on Tesla’s view on it via a vis warranty?
I had an Ipace before and it definitely had both a more comfortable ride and better handling.
I took a pressure gauge with me to collect mine and dropped them to 42 before driving 170 miles home. It wasn’t too bad but dropping to 38 all round has made a considerable improvement. I’m sticking with that for now but there’s room for further improvement as the similarly sized Ipace was definitely better

Well, they're on and the ride is sublime... It was always ok on motorways etc but where it failed miserably was at low speed in town, the constant jiggling and shuddering was really getting on my nerves.

The small bumps no longer exist, the larger ones feel like they've been covered in memory foam. Don't get me wrong, it's no air sprung Mercedes but it is significantly better than stock. I've gone for full soft all round and it's currently sitting 1 inch lower so i may address that by lifting it slightly.

The car tracks straight and true with no bouncing that you often see when a car has been lowered badly and is a pleasure to drive. The only thing we don't have here is 4 wheel alignment equipment as our workshop caters for HGV's and i really don't see the need because of the way it drives but i will monitor tyre wear closely over the next few months.

If anyone near East Manchester wishes to compare then i don't mind meeting up at a weekend locally.
Very interested to know your impressions in the week since install!

What settings are you using?

Any NVH or noise issues with the new setup?

Interested to know the cost of your fix (including a reasonable guess at labour cost/time) and whether you checked on Tesla’s view on it via a vis warranty?
I've had the MPP coilover kit on my 3 for 18 months+ now and one of the bearings in the Tesla upper control arms have gone. Known problem fixed by a later revision of the arm. Normally fully covered under warranty, The SC accepted the arms are covered by warranty, but weren't happy touching the MPP suspension to fit them. Pretty sure legally you can force the issue as long as its not a fault with the new parts or caused by the fitting of them.

I was in a rush and was happy to have the diagnosis confirmed and that it was OK to drive for the moment, so took the offer of £60 per side to buy new control arms. I'll get the same guy that fitted the suspension to do these.

They don't actually have a leg to stand on, but you might need to go as far as small claims to force the issue if you want them to do the work. They aren't very mod friendly as an org, although at a personal level the techs at my SC are all good mates with the guy that did my work :rolleyes:.