Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone install 3+ Powerwalls in San Diego?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They stuck to the quote, we had a contract. At this point, that was 3 years ago this month, so things might have changed a bit.

Still waiting on them to install our 4th powerwall. They tell me everything is on hold due to the coronavirus.

Good to hear that they stuck to the original pricing, whatever that was.

Very often people are complaining about 3rd party pricing being too high vs Tesla pricing. I was curious how that stacks up when quoting today. I know in the past Tesla had even lower Powerwall pricing for early adopters. 3rd party installers end up installing the vast majority of the Tesla batteries in homes, something like 94% of Powerwalls installed are installed by Certified Installers instead of Tesla.

Last I looked Tesla was charging $1200 for installation of a Powerwall, but with the caveat that it might increase depending on site conditions or equipment upgrades required.

Very often people are complaining about 3rd party pricing being too high vs Tesla pricing. I was curious how that stacks up when quoting today. I know in the past Tesla had even lower Powerwall pricing for early adopters. 3rd party installers end up installing the vast majority of the Tesla batteries in homes, something like 94% of Powerwalls installed are installed by Certified Installers instead of Tesla.

Last I looked Tesla was charging $1200 for installation of a Powerwall, but with the caveat that it might increase depending on site conditions or equipment upgrades required.

They do a site survey, and then they give you a contract to sign. Pricing might change between the original quote and after the site survey, but it should not after a contract is signed.

Great to hear they took such good care of you. Curious, what was the installation cost Tesla ended up charging, above what the initial quote was for installation?

In my case (2 PW add on to existing solar), it was exactly to the penny what my quote was, which was:

(2) Powerwalls = 13,000
(1) gateway = 1100
labor to install 2 powerwalls = 2500
Taxes

Out the door price (not counting any federal tax credit) was 18,234.XX on the quote, and thats what I paid. I was getting prices of 21-24k from third parties for the exact same install (powerwalls on same wall in the garage as main meter, existing 200 amp service, install location about 15 feet from main panel on same wall). Pretty basic install. The third party vendors also were not guarenteeing me any SGIP funds (for which I was grateful that at least they were up front about that).

My install also went extremely well from the installer point of view... my main installer told me he was the one who installed the first powerwall for tesla back when they started installing them, and he also was someone who instructed other tesla installers on install process.

Like typical tesla customer service experience, once you get someone in front of you, they are normally very good. Its the back end communication that tends to be lacking (the person handling the permitting etc).

Tesla will honor the price of your inital quote upon order and may match a lower price later on. See below for a summary current pricing in California (with my actual 2017 cost without SGIP).

Capture.JPG

Tesla honored the initial quoted price despite the price increases afterwards.

Tesla honored my 2016 pricing for 2 PWs even when the installation happened 20 months later. It was never even a question.

I would like to order another PW though at the current prices. I do not know how SGIP would work at >10kW (3+ PWs). PG&E SGIP appears to have funds, but I am probably mistaken.

Tesla will honor the price of your inital quote upon order and may match a lower price later on. See below for a summary current pricing in California (with my actual 2017 cost without SGIP).

View attachment 539409

Tesla honored the initial quoted price despite the price increases afterwards.
Very helpful, thank you for sharing. One comment, I'm guessing the installation price for 2 PWs should be $3,500, not the $2,500 shown...correct?

Tesla honored my 2016 pricing for 2 PWs even when the installation happened 20 months later. It was never even a question.

I would like to order another PW though at the current prices. I do not know how SGIP would work at >10kW (3+ PWs). PG&E SGIP appears to have funds, but I am probably mistaken.

I think most people accept that with Tesla installations the SGIP isn't happening. Might be a way to navigate that yourself, but I am not an expert on those specifics.

Very helpful, thank you for sharing. One comment, I'm guessing the installation price for 2 PWs should be $3,500, not the $2,500 shown...correct?

The $2,500 installation price for 2 PWs is correct.

Tesla averages the cost of installation per PW no matter the "standard" complexity. Installation of two PW are lower as it is possible for Tesla to simply add the gateway directly between the meter and the main electrical panel. The easier installations averages the standard installation price for 2 PWs lower. The price excludes the cost of a main panel upgrade, hidden conduits, or any non-standard items.

The $2,500 installation price for 2 PWs is correct.

Tesla averages the cost of installation per PW no matter the "standard" complexity. Installation of two PW are lower as it is possible for Tesla to simply add the gateway directly between the meter and the main electrical panel. The easier installations averages the standard installation price for 2 PWs lower. The price excludes the cost of a main panel upgrade, hidden conduits, or any non-standard items.

Yeah, its strange but thats how it is... 2 powerwalls is actually cheaper to install through tesla than 1. In my case, since they did not backup my tesla wall connector (its literally the only thing that is not backed up), I still got a full backup loads panel, that simply has everything in it except for my tesla wall connector. Still paid 2500 for install too.

I think most people accept that with Tesla installations the SGIP isn't happening. Might be a way to navigate that yourself, but I am not an expert on those specifics.

There is some new sgip for "equity and resiliency" or something for specific areas, that I believe tesla might be able to install / apply for. I dont live in those areas (im in southern cali not norcal), but it appears to be (if you qualify) extremely generous...