Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone install a destination charger at their work place?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jmcclureXPA

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
I want to install a charging station at my office. I am considering allowing others to use it as well? I.e. employees and clients and maybe anyone

Does anyone have any advice for this? Has anyone installed something more universal than just a Tesla charging station? Is there a difference between a wall connector with a 100 Amp feed and a destination charger?

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you!

We are moving into a new building this Friday and we have two HPWCs in the garage (I haven't seen them yet but I originally gave them the Tesla info on destination chargers and they got two of them).

No idea yet about the charge rate or how they are marked. I can post some pictures on Friday.

The HPWC (=High powered wall charger), is the Tesla charger that is usually mounted on the wall and is capable of taking in 100a and charging at a max rate of 80a. The maximum charge rate also depends on the car. 80a for "older" Model S with dual chargers, 40A without, 72a for the Model X and newer Model S with the high power charging option, 48A without

Destination chargers are simply the HPWC at places like hotels and these are registered with Tesla and show up on the Tesla car nav.

Reactions: jmcclureXPA
We are moving into a new building this Friday and we have two HPWCs in the garage (I haven't seen them yet but I originally gave them the Tesla info on destination chargers and they got two of them).

No idea yet about the charge rate or how they are marked. I can post some pictures on Friday.

The HPWC (=High powered wall charger), is the Tesla charger that is usually mounted on the wall and is capable of taking in 100a and charging at a max rate of 80a. The maximum charge rate also depends on the car. 80a for "older" Model S with dual chargers, 40A without, 72a for the Model X and newer Model S with the high power charging option, 48A without

Destination chargers are simply the HPWC at places like hotels and these are registered with Tesla and show up on the Tesla car nav.

Thanks for the info! I wonder how you can apply to be a destination charging location?

I want to install a charging station at my office. I am considering allowing others to use it as well? I.e. employees and clients and maybe anyone

Does anyone have any advice for this? Has anyone installed something more universal than just a Tesla charging station? Is there a difference between a wall connector with a 100 Amp feed and a destination charger?

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you!

You may want a J1772 connector so all EV's can use it. Something like this at my office.
IMG_0402.JPG

I installed 2-100 amp (80 amp delivered) Sun Country Highway (re-branded Clipper Creek) units at my office. They can charge a dual-charger Model S at the full 80 amps but can also be used by all other EVs with a J1772 port.

Mknox do you find it inconvenient to have to use the J1772 adapter when charging your Tesla on a daily basis. I plan to do most of my charging at my office rather than at home... No other EV's in our fleet currently. I have a M3 also ordered and considering a Bolt for another coworkers use.

Mknox do you find it inconvenient to have to use the J1772 adapter when charging your Tesla on a daily basis. I plan to do most of my charging at my office rather than at home... No other EV's in our fleet currently. I have a M3 also ordered and considering a Bolt for another coworkers use.
I charge my Model S with the adapter on the Clipper Creek unit every day with no issues.

• Informative

I also charge using the adapter daily since a J1772 is what I have in my garage. Once you figure out how to properly remove both the charger and the adapter in one motion, its simple after that.

• Informative

No, not really. As others have said, it's not really an inconvenience once you get used to it. I used to always forget to open my charge port before getting out of the car, but when Tesla pushed out the firmware release that lets you do it from the key fob, that made it a lot easier. (push and hold the rear trunk button for those who do not know).

• Informative
My office has 4 of the ChargePoint J1772s. It is nice to make it so any other EV can also charge even though it does charge slower. I have the only Tesla at my office, but there are 6 other EVs signed-up to use them. As already confirmed by everyone else, it really isn't a hassle to use the adapter to charge. I am so used to doing it that it only adds a couple seconds to the process.

I want to install a charging station at my office

How fast do you need it to charge?

The chargers we have in the work car park are about 20 MPH - 8 hours at work would give me 160 miles range, my commute isn't anything like that bad! Using regular charging points (rather than fast ones) means that cars can be plugged in all day, rather than having to manage a rota system and each person moving their car after it has charged and someone else move their's into the EV slot. It does mean that there is more wiring around the carpark than just a, say, single charging point at a convenient place on the office wall right next to the plant room!

How fast do you need it to charge?

The chargers we have in the work car park are about 20 MPH - 8 hours at work would give me 160 miles range, my commute isn't anything like that bad! Using regular charging points (rather than fast ones) means that cars can be plugged in all day, rather than having to manage a rota system and each person moving their car after it has charged and someone else move their's into the EV slot. It does mean that there is more wiring around the carpark than just a, say, single charging point at a convenient place on the office wall right next to the plant room!

For me, fast charging won't be an issue. But for our outside team, they can put 200 miles of local driving in a day. They are usually in for about 1 hour between appointments? Hoping they can get around 50-70 miles of range in an hour or so?

Thanks for asking!

Reactions: WannabeOwner
The chargers we have in the work car park are about 20 MPH - 8 hours at work would give me 160 miles range, my commute isn't anything like that bad! Using regular charging points (rather than fast ones) means that cars can be plugged in all day, rather than having to manage a rota system and each person moving their car after it has charged and someone else move their's into the EV slot.

I took the opposite approach when I installed my office chargers. I wanted to make them available for staff, visitors and the public, so speed was a bit more of a concern. What I did is install each 80 amp station for two parking spots. That way, someone could pull in and if the first car was done, simply plug in the second with no shuffling required.

• Informative