Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone install a powerwall in San Diego with SDG&E TOU5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it is a sad omission that Tesla does not have any GUIDANCE PAGES for setting up your Powerwall
with particular rate schedules...there must be [HUNDREDS?] of SDG&E customers with Teslas on
EV-TOU-5, right? Yet NO GUIDANCE?

I have watched some of the Energy Tool Base videos and now I am ready to set my Powerwall
to BACKUP ONLY until the summer rates start. This is because of the low differential between
Peak and Off Peak ( 1 cent!) and the round trip efficiency loss.

Does anybody think different?
(I mean only for EV-TOU-5)
Thanks!

Oh and it sure seems like ONE simulation would apply to A LOT of Tesla customers since Tesla
seems to be selling fixed size systems (for now anyway 3.8Kw/1 Powerwall, or 7.6Kw/2 Powerwalls).

There's no point in trying to get the 1¢ difference, but there is a 15-16¢ difference available on the weekends. The schedule I use during the winter is Advanced-Cost Saving:
Weekdays: Off-Peak midnight - 6AM, Peak 6AM - midnight
Weekends: Off-Peak midnight - 2PM, Peak 2PM - midnight

This lets it charge up during the 9¢ weekend mornings, and discharge for 25-26¢ in the evenings. It won't charge during the week, so it ends up sitting at the reserve through most of the week.

If you want to get a little fancier, you can raise the reserve to 100% on Sunday morning, then lower the reserve again on Friday morning. This way most of the week is spent at 100% in case of outages, and you still get the weekend arbitrage.

There's no point in trying to get the 1¢ difference, but ...

Thanks very much, this is exactly the kind of GUIDANCE I believe Tesla should be offering (at least in web page!!).

Now I had "formed the impression" (wish I had a link) that charging the Powerwall from the grid was not possible or not quite legal under electrical regulations.....Do you have direct experience that this is really possible?

This amounts to wearing out your battery for profit, vs. with the 1 cent differential we are wearing out our battery for nothing.

Oh also I find on MY phone I cannot set a time range to 12:00, it only goes to 11:30 and wont go that last half hour. Anyone else see this?

Oh also I find on MY phone I cannot set a time range to 12:00, it only goes to 11:30 and wont go that last half hour. Anyone else see this?
I find that if I want a period to start at midnight, I have to swap the start and end so it wraps the other way, starting from the left side of the time bar. I recently had to do this because I was pushed from PG&E EV-A to EV2-A. Off-Peak hours changed from 11pm-7am to Midnight to 3pm.

Notice the position of the open and closed circles for Off-Peak in the screen shots below.

2020-02-20_EV-A Schedule.jpg
2020-02-20_EV2-A Schedule.jpg

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Dave EV
Now I had "formed the impression" (wish I had a link) that charging the Powerwall from the grid was not possible or not quite legal under electrical regulations.....Do you have direct experience that this is really possible?
No, I'm not charging from the grid, and I don't think that's possible (in our region) without some kind of hacking. I'm charging from solar on the weekends where the off-peak lasts until 2PM. During the week I don't charge.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dave EV
Powerwalls are a great way to get backup capabilities with the added benefits of earning higher NEM credits during on peak between 4-9PM. My sales rep explained that while solar will normally sell back during off peak rates around 30¢, the PW can be programed to sell during on peak instead at around 50¢ (and earn an extra 20¢ for each kWh). Or on the weekends it’ll store power you’d normally sell at 9¢ until 2PM!! Although you could overcompensate by adding more solar, the PW future-proofs your installation against the inevitable and ever-changing SDGE rate structures. This PW setup allows me to keep my $$$ out of the grubby hands of SDGE no matter how they change TOU time periods in the future & provides me peace of mind in case of an outage that I’m covered. I’d recommend talking with the experts at Stellar Solar, they are a Tesla Powerwall Certified Installer. The rep that helped me was Connor Smith (760-814-0932 [email protected]) and he took the extra time to make sure everything worked and educate me on the features of my new Powerwalls.

• Disagree
Reactions: bkp_duke
Powerwalls are a great way to get backup capabilities with the added benefits of earning higher NEM credits during on peak between 4-9PM. My sales rep explained that while solar will normally sell back during off peak rates around 30¢, the PW can be programed to sell during on peak instead at around 50¢ (and earn an extra 20¢ for each kWh). Or on the weekends it’ll store power you’d normally sell at 9¢ until 2PM!! Although you could overcompensate by adding more solar, the PW future-proofs your installation against the inevitable and ever-changing SDGE rate structures. This PW setup allows me to keep my $$$ out of the grubby hands of SDGE no matter how they change TOU time periods in the future & provides me peace of mind in case of an outage that I’m covered. I’d recommend talking with the experts at Stellar Solar, they are a Tesla Powerwall Certified Installer. The rep that helped me was Connor Smith (760-814-0932 [email protected]) and he took the extra time to make sure everything worked and educate me on the features of my new Powerwalls.

Your rep is wrong. Tesla won't let the PWs sell back into the grid after the sun goes down.

Your rep is wrong. Tesla won't let the PWs sell back into the grid after the sun goes down.

My PWs will discharge and supply to the house after the sun goes down. So you are correct, the PW doesn't sell back into the grid; however, it does keep me from purchasing peak power from the grid so long as the PWs have enough power to supply the needs of the house. I will also confirm that the only way to charge your PW is from solar. Mine will not charge from the Grid.