Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone install the Hansshow yoke wheel in a new Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How’s the wheel when turning? Is it wompy due to being mounted off center?
Not near as much as I was expecting, to be honest. The wheel seems to be designed around the pivot better than others? Or maybe it's in my head. I really had to pay attention to notice the offset while rotating.

1659160813555.png

Reactions: KyleDay
It doesn't really feel that way. I can't say I noticed it much at all initially and don't notice it all now. It is pretty much wherever I reach for a part of the wheel and expect it to be there. I think it might help that the diameter is a bit smaller. I think someone said it is about 1/2". One of the things I disliked about the yoke was how wide it was and the reduced diameter is a plus for me.

can you let me know what socket/size you need to remove the existing wheel?
These are what was suggested:
  • 10mm Allen socket (male)
  • Breaker bar
  • Very small flathead screwdriver (to get into the holes that release the airbag pod).

I actually couldn't find a 10mm Allen socket (that would work with a breaker bar) at two different hardware stores...I only found that I actually had something that size at home and made it work with a regular ratchet wrench (but the bolt was on there tight).

I think I got the list of tools from either the TSportline video or one of the Hansshow install videos.

While pulling out the yoke, I messed up. Huge ribbon cable came and it’s so hard to wrap it back up as it’s covered it dialectic grease. Any ideas? I hope I didn’t screw anything up. Please help ☹️

Attachments

• 7D1A4603-9905-4E17-90B0-C8223FAF0547.jpeg
    7D1A4603-9905-4E17-90B0-C8223FAF0547.jpeg
    410.3 KB · Views: 94
  • E33617A9-9C54-4897-B7C1-4E20B10EE7A5.jpeg
    E33617A9-9C54-4897-B7C1-4E20B10EE7A5.jpeg
    340.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 4C0BEA6E-E113-473F-848D-F0CAE8858B71.jpeg
    4C0BEA6E-E113-473F-848D-F0CAE8858B71.jpeg
    403.3 KB · Views: 92
  • B0988261-8C12-4902-B825-C52DE1E09657.jpeg
    B0988261-8C12-4902-B825-C52DE1E09657.jpeg
    408.4 KB · Views: 87
  • D5AB87B2-5CE1-436D-A822-80C6DC50CDDA.jpeg
    D5AB87B2-5CE1-436D-A822-80C6DC50CDDA.jpeg
    494.4 KB · Views: 111
While pulling out the yoke, I messed up. Huge ribbon cable came and it’s so hard to wrap it back up as it’s covered it dialectic grease. Any ideas? I hope I didn’t screw anything up. Please help ☹️
Oh no! I don't think you've broken anything, but you're going to have to get it wound back around that collar. This video might help?
. At least it shows the clockspring as it should be.

How did you get that part separated? Did you yank one of the plugs (airbag or yoke buttons) without depressing the tabes and it pulled the face of the clockspring off?

I was looking for this thread--just installed a Hansshow wheel:
View attachment 834257

I kept the stitching and center line low-key and black. I would have happily spent a little more money if they included the buttons/cover with the wheel like T Sportline does with theirs; it was a bit nerve racking pulling it off the old one and trying to get it snug in the new one.

But the leather is nice and soft, the matte carbon fiber looks great (with kinda a 3D visual), and the rotation didn't feel obviously off-centered like I thought it might.
Did you order the Standard Leather or Nappa?

How did it happen? I didn't have any issues but a friend wants to try my wheel on his S. I was thinking about letting him try mine for a while before he invests. So I'd hate to have this happen if swapping out for a bit. So if you can provide context on how it occurred it would be helpful for a lot of people.

I can't comment on the S, but I assume it is like the 3, and the last people I saw who had that happen required a trip to Tesla to fix. Someone tried to fix it himself and just made it worse.

How did it happen? I didn't have any issues but a friend wants to try my wheel on his S. I was thinking about letting him try mine for a while before he invests. So I'd hate to have this happen if swapping out for a bit. So if you can provide context on how it occurred it would be helpful for a lot of people.

I can't comment on the S, but I assume it is like the 3, and the last people I saw who had that happen required a trip to Tesla to fix. Someone tried to fix it himself and just made it worse.

I feel like an idiot. I forgot to relive the left harness and pulled the wheel out! I got everything back in but the controls don’t light up on the steering wheel. I am guessing I may have sorted some thing while trying to fix this. I am now trying to figure out fuse location and which fuse to check. Round wheel does feel nice.

Attachments

• B4CA40DE-6C40-4BB8-ABAD-63F036C09E70.jpeg
    B4CA40DE-6C40-4BB8-ABAD-63F036C09E70.jpeg
    496.4 KB · Views: 117
Reactions: Murtaya
Oh no! I don't think you've broken anything, but you're going to have to get it wound back around that collar. This video might help?
. At least it shows the clockspring as it should be.

How did you get that part separated? Did you yank one of the plugs (airbag or yoke buttons) without depressing the tabes and it pulled the face of the clockspring off?
That’s exactly what happened. I knew I had to remove two harnesses but I only removed one on the right and completely forgot about the left one and pulled the yoke. I think I got it all back. I may have shorted something during the process as buttons didn’t light up but after few hours which scared me but it must have reset its efuses and it now lights up!

Reactions: strider and Murtaya
You’ll adjust to the yoke. What you won’t adjust to is the horn and some of the other capacitive buttons.
I'm good with all the buttons except for the horn. It's too goddamn far away and too small and the whole thing about covering the right side I think is more of a hacky solution than that the wheel detects your hand covering everything. Basically I don't think there is logic in the programming that somehow to text your hand covering everything but maybe I'm wrong.

The horn should have just been in the center.