Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone install the Hansshow yoke wheel in a new Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Defiantly feels much batter than yoke (in my opinion). Only negative is wheel blocks the front screen a little, especially the speed. I have to tilt the wheel way up to see the speed but then it comes uncomfortable.

I was hoping the same but didn't want to wait. I had ordered mine with heating option, but the one I received didn't heat, so I am sending it back for a replacement. It's coming from China, so it's a slow process.

It sounds like there's more interest in the wheel, and after putting time on it and the car, here's some of my personal thoughts on it, if this is useful to anybody:

• Offset center rotation: Yes, there is some offset, but I personally don't notice through feel, only if I purposely keep an eye on the wheel during turns (I created a video of it rotating here). Funny enough, today Autopian posted an article about cars in general often having a slightly offset wheel rotation, which might be why I don't notice it (i.e., I'm used to it on my other cars).
  • Visibility: I think the reports of the top rim hiding dashboard content have been greatly exaggerated. If I move the wheel down too far, it will start blocking content, but that's always been true of any car I've had. The top of this wheel is round, so I can see everything fine (including the speed limit readout on the dash). Other wheels have flattened tops, which might be the source of dashboard visibility concerns? View of the road is not blocked. View of the center screen seems to be better than the yoke.
  • Ergonomics: The wheel feels much better to grip at 9 and 3 (better channels for your fingers to wrap around). I also like the positive bulges and channels that can be used for the much-maligned but very comfortable 10 and 2 positioning. When holding the bottom of the wheel, it seems to encourage holding from underneath. This is in contrast to holding top of the rim like the yoke encourages (which--to me--feels like it would be a very dangerous way to be holding if the airbag goes off--even more than 10-2).
  • Carbon Fiber: I got the matte carbon fiber on the top and bottom since I thought it matched the existing interior's CF well and thought it broke up the visuals nicely. I've heard it might get hot on very hot days, but I haven't run into that issue personally. The smoothness does make it feel a little slick, but I realized it only feels like that--my hands don't actually slip on it.
  • Nappa Leather: I got the Nappa leather, and it feels good. Black stitching matches the existing interior stitching.
  • 12 0'Clock Center Line: I got the center line in black to keep it low key, and also because I don't really have a secondary color on my car (body is black, trim is black, brake calipers are black, leather is black, stitching is black, etc.). It seems appropriately lined up. My biggest gripe with it is that you can't tell where the line is by feel. In my other cars with a 12 O'clock stripe, I can feel where the line is which actually helps me know where the wheel and my hand are. But, I guess this won't be the first thing in this car to not provide any tactile feedback...
  • Steering Wheel Heater: Haven't used it much this summer, but it works (and is one reason I chose this wheel over others).
  • Installation: I really wish they sold a more expensive version of this that has the front panel in place. I was able to do the transfer of the airbag and the front panel, but it is nerve wracking. While I was aware of tabs/pins at the 3 and 9 spokes, I wasn't aware of one on the 6 spoke, and broke that one removing the panel. That said, I was able to re-install and get a fairly tight fit even without it.
  • Fit and Finish: The CF actually looks a little 3D, which I thought was cool. Seems and stitching seem good. The only issues I notice are:
    • At the bottom where the spoke connects to the CR, the CF looks and feels a little rough around the sides. You might be able to notice it in the picture, but it's minor to me. I might try to try to use some black paint or something to clean it up.
    • The inner corners of the wheel's spokes (kinda the "armpit" areas, if you well) don't line up perfectly with the existing front panel. I noticed this since I could see daylight through them when the wheel was not fully installed. I can't see any daylight with the airbag cover on and the wheel fully installed.
    • The front panel fits fairly well over the leather, but it's not a perfectly tight fit and can present some movement at the far left/right ends. I could probably have adjusted the leather to get it tighter, but I would have had to pop out the pins, and I didn't want to risk breaking them again. As such, I can feel a little play/bend to the front panel edges.
  • Long drives: After doing the same cross-state drive with the wheel that I did with the yoke, I found that I didn't have the sore hands, tight shoulders, and headache that I had with the yoke as the driving interface. I even used autopilot a lot less and enjoyed driving the car a lot more.
  • Dimensions: The wheel could probably still be a bit smaller in terms of diameter, though I'm also used to a lot smaller cars, so maybe this size is probably good? Before I got this wheel, I was originally concerned that any wheel that reused the yoke hub would have to be huge (since the yoke feels so wide), but I was pleasantly surprised that this wheel felt smaller than the P100D's rim (from memory, at least). The rim itself is fairly thick; whether you love it or not might depend on your preferences.

1661205905245.png

Last edited:
It sounds like there's more interest in the wheel, and after putting time on it and the car, here's some feedback:

• Offset center rotation: Yes, there is some offset, but I personally don't notice through feel, only if I purposely keep an eye on the wheel during turns (I created a video of it rotating here). Funny enough, today Autopian posted an article about cars in general often having a slightly offset wheel rotation, which might be why I don't notice it (i.e., I'm used to it on my other cars).
  • Visibility: I think the reports of the top rim hiding dashboard content have been greatly exaggerated. If I move the wheel down too far, it will start blocking content, but that's always been true of any car I've had. View of the road is not blocked. View of the center screen seems to be better than the yoke.
  • Ergonomics: The wheel feels much better to grip at 9 and 3 (better channels for your fingers to wrap around). I also like the positive bulges and channels that can be used for the much-maligned but very comfortable 10 and 2 positioning. When holding the bottom of the wheel, it seems to encourage holding from underneath. This is in contrast to holding top of the rim like the yoke encourages (which--to me--feels like it would be a very dangerous way to be holding if the airbag goes off--even more than 10-2).
  • Carbon Fiber: I got the matte carbon fiber on the top and bottom since I thought it matched the existing interior's CF well and thought it broke up the visuals nicely. I've heard it might get hot on very hot days, but I haven't run into that issue personally. The smoothness does make it feel a little slick, but I realized it only feels like that--my hands don't actually slip on it.
  • Nappa Leather: I got the Nappa leather, and it feels good. Black stitching matches the existing interior stitching.
  • 12 0'Clock Center Line: I got the center line in black to keep it low key, and also because I don't really have a secondary color on my car (body is black, trim is black, brake calipers are black, leather is black, stitching is black, etc.). It seems appropriately lined up. My biggest gripe with it is that you can't tell where the line is by feel. In my other cars with a 12 O'clock stripe, I can feel where the line is which actually helps me know where the wheel and my hand are. But, I guess this won't be the first thing in this car to not provide any tactile feedback...
  • Steering Wheel Heater: Haven't used it much this summer, but it works (and is one reason I chose this wheel over others).
  • Installation: I really wish they sold a more expensive version of this that has the front panel in place. I was able to do the transfer of the airbag and the front panel, but it is nerve wracking. While I was aware of tabs/pins at the 3 and 9 spokes, I wasn't aware of one on the 6 spoke, and broke that one removing the panel. That said, I was able to re-install and get a fairly tight fit even without it.
  • Fit and Finish: The CF actually looks a little 3D, which I thought was cool. Seems and stitching seem good. The only issues I notice are:
    • At the bottom where the spoke connects to the CR, the CF looks and feels a little rough around the sides. You might be able to notice it in the picture, but it's minor to me. I might try to try to use some black paint or something to clean it up.
    • The inner corners of the wheel's spokes (kinda the "armpit" areas, if you well) don't line up perfectly with the existing front panel. I noticed this since I could see daylight through them when the wheel was not fully installed. I can't see any daylight with the airbag cover on and the wheel fully installed.
    • The front panel fits fairly well over the leather, but it's not a perfectly tight fit and can present some movement at the far left/right ends. I could probably have adjusted the leather to get it tighter, but I would have had to pop out the pins, and I didn't want to risk breaking them again. As such, I can feel a little play/bend to the front panel edges.
  • Long drives: After doing the same cross-state drive with the wheel that I did with the yoke, I found that I didn't have the sore hands, tight shoulders, and headache that I had with the yoke as the driving interface. I even used autopilot a lot less and enjoyed driving the car a lot more.
  • Dimensions: The wheel could probably still be a bit smaller in terms of diameter, though I'm also used to a lot smaller cars, so maybe this size is probably good? Before I got this wheel, I was originally concerned that any wheel that reused the yoke hub would have to be huge (since the yoke feels so wide), but I was pleasantly surprised that this wheel felt smaller than the P100D's rim (from memory, at least). The rim itself is fairly thick; whether you love it or not might depend on your preferences.

View attachment 843913
Great information!! Thank you!!!

Reactions: Murtaya
thank you for this review! Super helpful. Would you recommend having a shop do this given the issue you had with pin?

Hmmm...That's a tough call. I think I'd still personally do it again (even though I usually leave a lot of stuff to the professionals) with what I know now, which includes being careful with the pin locations below when taking off the front panel:
1661220959507.png

That said, if you don't mind paying a professional and the time required for them, and/or you don't like ripping into your own car, it might be a nice piece of mind thing for them to do it (especially if they can fine-tune the trim for a more precise fit). Also, you won't have to worry about sourcing the breaker bar, 10mm allen socket, taking off/disconnecting the airbag, etc..

I was recovering for a shoulder injury and really needed to farm it out when I got the wheel. I couldn't find anyone around Dallas that would do it. As soon as I said "airbag" all the aftermarket shops bolted so to speak.

It sounds like there's more interest in the wheel, and after putting time on it and the car, here's some of my personal thoughts on it, if this is useful to anybody:

• Visibility: I think the reports of the top rim hiding dashboard content have been greatly exaggerated. If I move the wheel down too far, it will start blocking content, but that's always been true of any car I've had. The top of this wheel is round, so I can see everything fine (including the speed limit readout on the dash). Other wheels have flattened tops, which might be the source of dashboard visibility concerns? View of the road is not blocked. View of the center screen seems to be better than the yoke.

View attachment 843913
Thanks for putting this up. I am really considering doing the upgrade myself and really like how this wheel looks too.

But as you mentioned, I'm not sure if I have the stomach to go through the 'unnerving part' of removing the airbag and the wheel and then unclipping and clipping the centre control module.

The RPM wheel comes with the controls module and supports heating. It’s D shaped and more expensive, though.

Nappa leather.
Well, that was a remarkably unwise choice. Please don't pay others to murder sentient beings, and then use a massive amount toxins to treat the skins so you can wrap it around a steering wheel.

Stuff you didn't learn in school, or from your parents:

1. According to the UN FAO, animal agriculture is worse for the environment than all transport combined.

Source:

2. How meat and leather are "produced."

Thus, you must choose: you can either remain part of the problem, or become part of the solution.

Thank you for choosing wisely going forward.