Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone interested in buying my reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep your reservation.

Order it ASAP with basic options/common color (silver if free, otherwise whatever is free) and list it the day you get it at Price+$5000.

Pocket the $5k + EV rebate.

I'm confident this will work. This car will have PS3-type hype around it when the first ones start rolling.
And OP won't have his car relatively early if he orders a basic, no-option car.

Reactions: bonnie
Keep your reservation.

Order it ASAP with basic options/common color (silver if free, otherwise whatever is free) and list it the day you get it at Price+$5000.

Pocket the $5k + EV rebate.

I'm confident this will work. This car will have PS3-type hype around it when the first ones start rolling.

Confident, huh? What about the stipulation that you need to own the vehicle for x amount of time in order to qualify for the rebate? The government doesn't take kindly to tax fraud.

There might be one for some of the state tax incentives but the federal tax credit does not have time of ownership stipulation. It does however say "vehicles must be acquired for use or lease and not for resale", so getting it and selling it right away would probably rule out being eligible for the credit and, claiming it anyway would, as eisbock said, be tax fraud.

He can claim the tax credit if he sells it right away but whomever thinks they are going to sell any Model 3 for $5K over what they paid for it is a fool.

Yes, he can claim it, it would be tax fraud, but he can claim it.

You are right though, the chances of selling it and making $5K is slim to none, especially if you figure that they are looking to make the $5K after adding taxes. And you'd have to find a buyer that didn't know anything about the tax credit or they would want that figured in as well.