Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone interested in splitting a set of Model 3 wheels to get a spare tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading some threads on the forums about flat tire nightmares, especially one recently, thinking I should get a spare tire for the Model 3 since I do a good amount of long distance travel.

Thought about one of the space saver kits, but if I'm on a long distance trip over the weekend, don't really want to change a tire with a tire you can only drive for a few miles. Certainly better than nothing, but would rather just get a full size spare that I could drive all the way home and deal with fixing the flat tire at home. Many tire shops are closed on the weekend, so this would prevent having to stay in a town longer than desired.

Have been looking to purchase just one Model 3 wheel. Seems like most are going for around $400 + shipping. Seems a little pricey. However, finding full sets in the $600 to $800 range + shipping.

Figured if I can get commitments from three others that are willing to evenly split the cost of a set, then I'll find a set with a cap of $300 maximum per person, including shipping. Assuming we can probably do it closer to $200 per person, but shipping costs could vary.

I'll purchase the set and share the receipt with those who committed, collect from each of you and get the wheels shipped out to each of you..

If you need one tomorrow, this deal probably won't work. Once I have 3 commitments, then I'll shop for the best deal possible, which could take a week or two, plus however long it takes for this message to reach three people interested and willing to commit.

I just don't have a need for three extra wheels taking up garage space and spending $400+ for one doesn't make sense when you can get four for likely less than $800.

If interested, send me a private message that you want to join in. First come first serve. Once I have 3 people committed, I'll reply to each to confirm and find the set.

I'm in the Los Angeles area, so if anyone wants to pick it up in person, can save the shipping cost. Price will be divided equally 4 ways based on the best price I can find (maximum $800 for the set, plus whatever the shipping cost is to you.

Most listings I see are for the wheel and tire, no tire pressure sensors. Most also include the hub / aero cap. Although neither are necessary if just using it as a spare tire, so if the deal is right, I'm willing to consider a set that doesn't have the aero hub cap / wheel cover. Please confirm that you're of the same thinking when messaging me. If you have 18's on your car, then you already have them. If you have 19's or custom wheels, the hub cap also isn't necessary to just use it as a spare tire.

Thanks @Campfamily. I sent a reply to you. Please let me know if you are confirmed. I found one other, so just need one more and will get them.

@MentalNomad - My plan is only take it with me on long distance trips. Around town, I figure I'm close enough to tire shops or a Tesla Service center. So will just put it in the trunk on long trips. Unfortunately it will take up trunk space, but I think that's better than getting stranded if the tire gets damaged beyond repair. Relatively cheap insurance and a minor inconvenience to prevent a huge inconvenience or even potentially a safety risk. Hoping maybe I can stand it up in the deep portion of the trunk to take up the least amount of usable space.

Hoping maybe I can stand it up in the deep portion of the trunk to take up the least amount of usable space.

Here are some photos showing a compact spare in different positions inside the trunk. A standard tire/wheel will be wider but the diameter is similar, so you should be able to draw some parallels.

Standing it up in the deep part of the trunk should be possible, but it may require some thought on how to keep it upright and secure while driving.