Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

anyone is using electric boats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey members , anyone is using electric boats? I have seen a lot of them offered for sale online and I was thinking to buy one for my self since I am living in a city next to the sea...maybe I take my kids for small fishing trips. however I am hesitating a bit to buy such kind of boat since I am unaware of how it works..I never seen an electric boat from close...

I used to live in a community that allowed only electric boats in the lagoon. Most people had boats made by "Duffy".

They are slow.

I definitely wouldn't want to be out on a an E-boat in the ocean.

We already have electric boats here. And they are on the ocean. Soon to be fully electric fleet.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5296957

We also will have the very first commercial sea Planes.
Harbour Air and magniX Announce Successful Flight of World’s First Commercial Electric Airplane – Harbour Air Seaplanes: World's Largest Seaplane Airline – Since 1982 – Harbour Air

Boats efficiency makes anything else look great. Typical diesel boat in the 25 ft range gets ONE GALLON PER MILE. That's at 25 to 30 mph. And it gets worse from there. 40 ft sport fishing boats burn 2-3 GPM at 30 kt cruise. All the electric boats I've seen articles about have an electric range of 10-20 miles at 5-8 mph. And they've mostly been one-offs with diesel backups.

Do a LOT of research before buying.

Pure Watercraft | Electric Outboard Motors
Here's a company in Seattle trying to bring electric outboards to market. They've got a few already out in service in several places across the country. I've had a chance to ride in a bass boat outfitted with one of their motors and it certainly has the torque to replace up to a 50hp motor. Just like electric cars, the torque is immediate, so it gets out of the hole in a hurry. As usual with electrics, little to no maintenance and unlike the cars, the battery packs are easily replaceable.
The energy density is getting better and better along with charging speed, but there are still some limitations to the running time, especially in commercial applications which is what I was investigating them for, so it's probably still better for a low-intensity commercial or recreational role.
Not surprisingly, the big issue with an enterprise like this is the scale of their operation right now which leads to high costs. I think we were quoted about $17k for a motor with one battery pack. A second pack takes it up to about $24k.o_O
In places where only electric drives are allowed, they could be a great solution provided you have it long enough and use it enough to begin to pay for itself (in 20 years or so). Not quite ready for prime-time, but I definitely see a future where electric drives have a significant market share as costs come down.

Reactions: KBF
Can someone buy me that Toyota fuel cell boat?

Before you do an Elon Musk impression.... This boat is solar power with battery first. Then when battery is filled, the hydrogen is then generated as backup unit. On top of that, it is also a sailboat with sail "wings".

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark