TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anyone know a good electrician in san diego

Discussion in 'California' started by tcrcnsx, May 12, 2015.

1. tcrcnsx

tcrcnsx Member

Getting a EV meter next month and want to wire it up to my garage with a wall charger. and does anyone know the cost ?

2. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

3. Hometheatremaven

I highly recommend Robert Guillory, owner of Calray Electric. He has installed many Tesla boxes for our members, including mine.
    Look him up on Yelp. He's honest, competent and reasonable. He's very busy. Give him a call.

4. tcrcnsx

tcrcnsx Member

#4 tcrcnsx, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015
    what kind of charger should I get ? Should I just buy a tesla charger or go with aftermarket charger like leviton or juicebox ? are you guys getting 30 or 40 amp using the charger that comes with the car ?

5. RandyS

RandyS Fan of Elon

I can help with questions about the EV meter, since I work for the local utility. What were you thinking of?

As far as charging speed, you can put in a higher powered or a lower powered charger, but I find that a good barometer to use is "how many miles will you be driving every day"? The charging station I would recommend would be different if your answer is "20" vs. if it is "75"...

6. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

I second that.

7. tcrcnsx

tcrcnsx Member

At my mom house she got a leaf with a 240 charger that she got for free and free install . When my brother goes over and use it , he is only getting 30 amp max. Will you get 40 amp ? If you get ev meter and plug in from there. And are you supposed to get 80 amp if get the tesla charger ?

8. GoBlue88

GoBlue88 Member

I third it. Calray Electric installed my NEMA 14-50 outlet and did a great job for a reasonable cost.

- - - Updated - - -

The Tesla HPWC will give you 80A on a 100A circuit if you have dual on-board chargers. Otherwise you'll get 40A.

A 240v plug like a NEMA 14-50 should give you a max of 40A on a 50A circuit.

9. tcrcnsx

tcrcnsx Member

I will give Calray Eletric a call, thanks for all the info