Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone know EVgo's Maximum Charging speed using the Chademo Adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On paper the adapter is limited to 62.5 kW - 125A @ 500V, which is also what most CHAdeMO stations are limited to (some are less,) but in practice the car's battery voltage usually restricts me to the low to mid 40s on my 75.

Should be a little higher on a 16 module car (85/90/100) due to the 15% higher system voltage.

EVGo had free CHAdeMO stations in Austin a few years ago. The highest I ever got was 44kW, usually it was in the 30s.

You may want to check their website again. I see 15 cents/min rate requires a $10/ month fee, otherwise it’s 20 cents/ minute in California.

EVGo had free CHAdeMO stations in Austin a few years ago. The highest I ever got was 44kW, usually it was in the 30s.

You may want to check their website again. I see 15 cents/min rate requires a $10/ month fee, otherwise it’s 20 cents/ minute in California.

Sort of. Its $10 monthly fee, but they give you $10 worth of credit reimbursed every month to use with their chargers. Essentially negating the fee as long as you actually use the $10.

The best I've ever gotten at a Chademo on my 85 was 47-48kW. At a very low state of charge, you're limited by the adapter's 125A current limit - you may not even break 40kW. As the SOC (and therefore pack voltage) rises, the total kW increases as the voltage rises (current still capped at 125A). By the time the voltage has risen enough to hit the station's 50kW peak, the car is already well into the taper and started to drop the current.

The car still displays current and voltage while charging at a Chademo, so you can see what's happening. They haven't (yet) dumbed down the charging information display for Chademo like they did with superchargers (boo, hiss). I can collect data from my next Chademo session.

I find that above 50% or so, Chademo is the same speed as supercharging, due to the taper being the limiting factor.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Those were probably Nissan branded units. Those are limited to 44kW and are CHAdeMO only. They are also limited to a 30min session since they tend to overheat if run longer than that. EVgo also has larger ABB 50kW units that are dual head (CHAdeMO and CCS).

They also have installed a 150kW unit and are planning for 350kW, but I don't know any cars that can use that, yet.