TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anyone know EVgo's Maximum Charging speed using the Chademo Adapter?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by heinzcatsoup, May 23, 2018.

1. heinzcatsoup

heinzcatsoup Member

Evgo rates are very cheap now at 15cents/MINUTE with no other fees - Does anyone know what the maximum charge rate we can get out of the LVL3 chargers using the chademo adapter?

2. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

The Telsa CHAdeMO adapter can do up to 50kW.

• Informative x 2
  3. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

On paper the adapter is limited to 62.5 kW - 125A @ 500V, which is also what most CHAdeMO stations are limited to (some are less,) but in practice the car's battery voltage usually restricts me to the low to mid 40s on my 75.

Should be a little higher on a 16 module car (85/90/100) due to the 15% higher system voltage.

4. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

EVGo had free CHAdeMO stations in Austin a few years ago. The highest I ever got was 44kW, usually it was in the 30s.

You may want to check their website again. I see 15 cents/min rate requires a $10/ month fee, otherwise it’s 20 cents/ minute in California.

5. heinzcatsoup

heinzcatsoup Member

Sort of. Its $10 monthly fee, but they give you $10 worth of credit reimbursed every month to use with their chargers. Essentially negating the fee as long as you actually use the $10.

6. tga

tga Supporting Member

The best I've ever gotten at a Chademo on my 85 was 47-48kW. At a very low state of charge, you're limited by the adapter's 125A current limit - you may not even break 40kW. As the SOC (and therefore pack voltage) rises, the total kW increases as the voltage rises (current still capped at 125A). By the time the voltage has risen enough to hit the station's 50kW peak, the car is already well into the taper and started to drop the current.

The car still displays current and voltage while charging at a Chademo, so you can see what's happening. They haven't (yet) dumbed down the charging information display for Chademo like they did with superchargers (boo, hiss). I can collect data from my next Chademo session.

I find that above 50% or so, Chademo is the same speed as supercharging, due to the taper being the limiting factor.

• Helpful x 1
  7. davewill

davewill Member

Those were probably Nissan branded units. Those are limited to 44kW and are CHAdeMO only. They are also limited to a 30min session since they tend to overheat if run longer than that. EVgo also has larger ABB 50kW units that are dual head (CHAdeMO and CCS).

They also have installed a 150kW unit and are planning for 350kW, but I don't know any cars that can use that, yet.

8. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

I don't use my CHAdeMO adapter much, but the highest I've seen on it is 44kW at various units. Only used EVgo once or twice though...