TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anyone know how to get a replacement toolkit for the Roadster?

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by John W. Ratcliff, May 12, 2016.

1. John W. Ratcliff

I just dropped of my brand new (to me) Roadster for its annual service and, apparently, the toolkit which comes with the car is missing. I spoke to the previous owner and he never had it either.

The Tesla service center (St. Louis) doesn't have a toolkit either and cannot remove my wheels to finish the service.

Does anyone know where/how I can at least get the tool to unlock the wheels?

2. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#2 wiztecy, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
    Can't remove your wheels!?!? Tesla service centers should have the master keyed set to remove any Lotus wheel locks which were put on the Roadsters. I'd call a local Lotus repair shop, the real Lotus one. And see if they have the master key and if they can pull it off. I'd then buy another star lug bolt and the star extension / key and your good to go. I wouldn't worry about anyone stealing your wheels, anyways the pro's can pop off those lock lugs just as fast as a regular lug, they give the owner false confidence.

Toolkit won't have the lock key. You can buy that at the Lotus shop and I'd think Tesla could order one too.

3. MileHighMotoring

I bought the Lotus equivalent as my bag was in rough shape (had been taken out of the car by previous owner). Part A117T0009S

4. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Have you tried contacting shop.teslamotors.com to see if they have it there?

5. John W. Ratcliff

Shop just called me back, they are getting the tool they need from Chicago and now I know how to order my own replacement online. Thanks for the help!

6. Habious

Habious Member

I did what @wiztecy recommended...bought 4 "standard" lug bolts (they're bolts, not nuts) and removed & replaced the 'security' ones.

One) they're not that secure and Two) if you don't have the tool (or the tool strips...which I've seen happen)...you're dead in the water.

7. Habious

Habious Member

P.S. The most important thing in the toolkit is the tow hook adapter. It threads into the hole behind the front license plate (assuming you have a front plate installed). Make sure you've got one of those adapters in the car.

8. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

9. John W. Ratcliff

Well, it's probably safe to say I don't have that either. Any idea where to get one? Also for an Lotus Elise?

10. MileHighMotoring

No, it's bespoke for the Roadster, you'll need to get it through Tesla.

11. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

I heard the tow hook threads are different. Sounds odd to me, why would they create a new thread when the tow hook is already available direct from Lotus. Possibly MAUTO or someone how has a Tesla Roadster and a Lotus Elise/Exige can verify that the tow hook is or isn't compatible between the two cars.

12. MLAUTO

MLAUTO Member

The tow hook is different. The roadster uses larger threads, probably due to the extra weight. The metal bracket that it screws into has more attachment points to the crash structure as well.

You can buy a spline tool for the lug bolts from an auto parts store that sells "tuner" lug nuts with the same 10 spline size. I bought a several from O-Reillys in the past. Only $10 if I remember correctly.

13. racevpr

racevpr Member

Of the 4 Roadsters we have, each one came with a different master key for the locking lug nut.

Take a picture and check Ebay for Lotus master keys and match your pattern.

14. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I bought an extra 4 lug bolts, and replaced the locking bolts with ordinary ones. Those things are fragile and annoying.

15. MileHighMotoring

Tesla quoted me like $30/lug to replace the locking bolts, just for the parts. What did you buy, @Doug_G ?

16. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

17. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I bought them from Tesla several years ago. They weren't cheap... but they weren't $30 each either!!!

Sounds like you can get them from a Lotus shop.

18. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

19. bart513

bart513 Member

I haven't been able to find a replacement kit either. I'm trying to remember what was in it? The tow hook, allen wrench for the hard top, lug nut bolt remover?

20. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Plus key for lock nut and a rather inexpensive screwdriver both Phillips and flat blade.