Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone know how to replace a headlight light bulb?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI

I have a 2018 model 3 it looks like a headlight bulb has burnt out. It is hard to tell what exactly what has burnt out but it looks like it is a bulb in the main cluster, just below the main headlight, but not the foglights further down. Could someone please point me to some information on how to access these bulbs so I can look at them and see which one is burnt out?

Thanks

Cutting open a headlight is not a good idea. There are a number of videos on YouTube detailing how to cut them open, but not how to put them back together. And even if you got in there you can't just buy emitters from Digikey and solder them in yourself. It's pretty rare for auto makers to use generic retail circuit board components, especially when it comes to emitters.
Your best bet may be to get a used headlight on eBay or such.
Screenshot 2021-01-21 194138.jpg

I am past 80,000 km so no warranty left (I'm pretty sure?) I dont want the hassle of taking it in to a service center. Is it not possible to fix this myself? Surely this is going to be something going forward that people will want to fix themselves. I have seen a few videos that replace the headlight housing and it looks like you have to remove the frunk and front clip. I hope this is not the case....

I am past 80,000 km so no warranty left (I'm pretty sure?) I dont want the hassle of taking it in to a service center. Is it not possible to fix this myself? Surely this is going to be something going forward that people will want to fix themselves. I have seen a few videos that replace the headlight housing and it looks like you have to remove the frunk and front clip. I hope this is not the case....
LEDs usually last a long time, so it's a bit unusual, though not impossible, that any would have burnt out on your car. It could always be a wiring problem as well, anything from a bad or corroded connection to rodents chewing on your wiring like happened to my car. o_O

I just had my driver's side headlight fail and had it replaced. The whole headlight unit is sealed but the mobile tech said technically the emitters can be changed out separately but Tesla doesn't sell or replace them separately.

ALSO, a very important point is that the headlights have to be software tied to the car's software. If you get a new headlight, you have to get a tech to set the headlight to the cars software. You can't just go get a new headlight and plug and play.

• Informative
Reactions: Avid
I just had my driver's side headlight fail and had it replaced. The whole headlight unit is sealed but the mobile tech said technically the emitters can be changed out separately but Tesla doesn't sell or replace them separately.

ALSO, a very important point is that the headlights have to be software tied to the car's software. If you get a new headlight, you have to get a tech to set the headlight to the cars software. You can't just go get a new headlight and plug and play.
Tech that came out to my house said this is true but you can simply call and ask them to send the latest software version to your car and it would work. Dunno if that’s true.

Also removing the headlight takes the removal of 3 bolts. But first you must remove frunk and bumper which are, relatively speaking, extremely easy.

Unfortunately $1200 is pretty much the going rate for a headlight on any brand of car. It's probably $900 + tax and a couple of hours of labor.

If you want it cheaper you can search eBay for the part number listed on your quote and then have any body shop install it. Note that early 2018-ish headlights had some issues and 2021 uses completely different headlights so you should try to get a revision between your original and your quote.

Today I received a estimate for replacing my 2020 model 3 right side light bulb. Tesla service center wants me to pay the outrageous amount of $1.208.65..!!
That is definitely outrageous. I would (and may have to one day) spend a full day in my garage watching YouTube videos and taking sh!t apart before I’d pay $1209 for a shop to change a freaking headlight for me!!!

Reactions: XPsionic