TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Anyone know of a 240v power meter?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Seegem, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Seegem

Seegem Member

Hi,

my manhattan parking garage is installing a 240v outlet for me. They've asked me to source a power meter (to bill me for my usage). Has anyone any experience with a model or device to recommend?

thanks!

mark

2. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

Try calling the electric company.

3. Seegem

Seegem Member

Gee, thanks. I was going for the non-obvious and non-$5,000 option ;)

4. arg

arg Supporting Member

Since this is just for private accounting between yourself and the parking garage, how about something like this:

http://www.efergy.us/index.php/usa/products-usa/elitev3-monitor-usa.html

Cheaper and simpler than a real in-line meter, and they can even put the display unit in their office/kiosk for easy reading.

Not quite as accurate as a 'real' meter (though pretty close), but they will presumably be marking up the cost of the power anyhow so the odd 1% here or there won't matter.

5. Seegem

Seegem Member

Thank you. I'll look into that one and this one:

Single-phase energy meter for 120/240 Volt, 3-wire 60Hz EKM-25IDS-N v.2

6. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

I use an eMonitor from PowerHouse Dynamics to monitor the loads on all my circuits, including my EV charger. It's probably overkill for your specific purpose, but it's certainly less than $5k. ;-)

7. jaanton

jaanton Roadster NA #1026

I've been looking at that same meter. I have an Energy Detective for the whole house, but I don't like the software it uses. The EKMMetering looks more raw and better documented. I might write some software for the EKM meter if it seems like a quality device. One thing I wonder about EKM-25IDS-N is that I do not see a neutral actually connected to the meter. Without it, I don't see how that meter can accurately measure and imbalanced load on one of the legs. Not an issue for the Tesla which would always be a 240v load, but I'm curious.

8. fengshui

fengshui Member

They should contact the power company. Many have rules and regulations around sub-metering.

9. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Look at the RV park equipment sites. They have reconditioned meters for not very much.