Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone know what Tesla charges to replace a Model 3 cabin air filter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you require two filters to do the job. I used to have a similar issue with my Corvette. I found that running the AC full blast with no recirculating, along with spraying lysol, really helped remove the mold and smell.

Tesla would probably charge an hr labour. There are YouTube vids on how to DIY.

I’ve had my cabin air filters changed twice so far by mobile service. First time was $69, second time was $65. The two filters cost $34, and about 0.2 hours of labor is the rest. By the way, the original 2nd time charge was about $175 but included cleaning the evaporator coils for odor. I don’t experience that odor so the bill came down to just replacements, and $65. Well worth it to me. And when I compared the new and used filters, the old ones did indeed need changing.

Reactions: arrow7
I’ve had my cabin air filters changed twice so far by mobile service. First time was $69, second time was $65. The two filters cost $34, and about 0.2 hours of labor is the rest. By the way, the original 2nd time charge was about $175 but included cleaning the evaporator coils for odor. I don’t experience that odor so the bill came down to just replacements, and $65. Well worth it to me. And when I compared the new and used filters, the old ones did indeed need changing.
Parts and labor? Sounds like a bargain to me.

I don't want to do it myself. The smell is getting bad when it rains.
I had mine replaced about a year ago with aftermarket filters. Mobile service only charged me for labor (at local CA rates):

1657908122894.png

I'd say it only took the tech 15 minutes to swap them out so that's around $125/hr for labor.

I just had this done this week via mobile service and it was $133.75 before tax. They cleaned the coils and replaced the filters.

I wanted them to do it so I could watch to see how much of a hassle it was. Next time I might do it myself.

On a separate note, the tech showed up in a Model S instead of the Tesla gas guzzler van. Nice to see they are going electric.

This 4 hour heat thing is not necessary. Take it from someone who uses A/C 365 days/year in a very humid tropical environment. And had the vomit smell after year 1, I am now 4 years driving the car. It has never returned.

1. Change the filters annually. You are supposed to do this anyway with any car, change the cabin air filters.
2. When you have the old filters out, spray a liberal amount of Lysol or Microban 24 into the big hole where the filters were. Be sure you spray enough to look under the car and see some of it dripping on the ground (that helps clear the drain hole). Any mold or bacteria is destroyed.
3. After about an hour to dry, put the new filters in and seal it all up.

Done!

You may smell the disinfectant for a day or two but it's not unpleasant. Heck we all got used to it thanks to Covid. It works for myself and others in the very humid tropical environment.

So today I changed the cabin air filters (2) and did the evaporator coil cleaning.
This is the 2nd time I have done this because of the mildew smell from the evaporator coils.
They say the second time is faster, probably true because I knew off the top of my head what to do, did not have to keep reviewing notes or videos.
My thoughts on the job.
1. If you want to save money, do it yourself.
2. I bought the Tesla filters, $17 plus tax, need 2 filters. Did not want to buy 3rd party, was concerned about blocking off airflow with too dense a filter and wanted to make sure the filters were correct size and fit. Remove the passenger mat and bring outside the car so you can rest your knees on it, otherwise you scrape your knees on the pavement.
3. Removing the T20 screw is not too bad, replaced it with the thumb screw bought for $10 on ebay. When putting the filter door back, make sure the hinge piece use to pull the filter out is tucked inside because if not it blocks when you try to hinge the door, found this to be frustrating until I figured it out.
4. Tesla could not have put the filters/repair in a worse place. You have to contort your body to take off the trim under the glove box, and contort your body for filter removal and insertion. My wife’s Subaru Crosstrek cabin air filter is right behind the glove box, you just drop the box by taking off the piston and there is the filter door.
5. Good luck spraying the evaporator cleaning foam all over the coils, the position of the door and coil, you cannot see where you are spraying.

Anyway just a couple of thoughts.

Just had filters changed at Reno TSC. Cost was $56.00. No coil cleaning and smell, that went away in a few moments anyway, is gone. Regarding that pesky T20 screw, I took in the replacement thumbscrew from eBay but was told they do not install aftermarket parts. 😰

It‘s a thumbscrew! I guess rules are rules and it’s a slippery slope.

Also, I don’t agree R&R of filters is a trivial matter. (See youtube university). $56.00 is reasonable. I’m 78.

The Grand Rapids, MI service center charged me $51.50 to replace the cabin air filters. I would have attempted this myself, but I needed to go to a service center anyway to have my brake calipers cleaned and lubricated as recommended for snowy climates. The brake service cost $113.75. My car is two years old and that was the only maintenance I have ever had done other than tire rotations (free at my local tire shop!).

I just had this done last week by mobile service and it cost me $55+tax, came out to 59.xx

Took less than 20 minutes and the only service done in past 2.5 years, besides free tire rotations at Mavis. Currently sitting at almost 33k miles.

Just had filters changed at Reno TSC. Cost was $56.00. No coil cleaning and smell, that went away in a few moments anyway, is gone. Regarding that pesky T20 screw, I took in the replacement thumbscrew from eBay but was told they do not install aftermarket parts. 😰

It‘s a thumbscrew! I guess rules are rules and it’s a slippery slope.

Also, I don’t agree R&R of filters is a trivial matter. (See youtube university). $56.00 is reasonable. I’m 78.
I find it interesting that Tesla service would not use the thumb screw.
I wonder what their position would be if the thumb screw was already installed, no factory screw.

I find it interesting that Tesla service would not use the thumb screw.
I wonder what their position would be if the thumb screw was already installed, no factory screw.
When I had my filters changed out last year (see post #10) I already had on hand the aftermarket magnetic cover which replaces the factory cover and screw. I forgot to ask the tech to install it. I get the feeling that he may have done so given that another tech from Santa Clara mobile service installed an air intake vent cover when I asked (service came and did a proactive replacement of the 12V battery a couple of months ago). I was willing to do it myself but he said "no problem" and pulled the protective tape off and mounted it to the intake area.

Reactions: VQTRVA