TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anyone know what these dots under PRND mean?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by chrishawn, Aug 7, 2018.

1. chrishawn

chrishawn New Member

76EC0F66-A700-4D7F-B253-8218DA33C6B7.jpeg I assume it has something to do with regenerative braking but local Tesla service didn’t know either.

2. KFORE

KFORE Member

That means your max regen ability is reduced. Potentially due to high battery temps, high state of charge (looks to be that in this case), or some other variable with the battery. They'll go away once your SoC starts to drop.

• Informative x 12
    • Like x 4
    • Helpful x 1
  3. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

I'm use to our graph and colored dashes on our MS so this was helpful to know. Thanks for asking the question and for the answer.

4. creativeguy

creativeguy Member

KFORE is right. I charged to 100% for a trip and had no regeneration (it coasted), and showed even more dots than that until I ran down the battery a bit. Then the regeneration returned and the dots changed to the line.

5. RayK

RayK Member

Yes.

(Smarta$$ answer based upon query used in thread title.)

Related note: When I rented a 3 back in January I saw warning message the morning after the car was delivered to me. It said that regen had an issue. I thought I had broken the car. Only after I did some reading here did I realize that cold weather affects the battery charging.

6. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

Same. I even called it out as a bug with the firmware in my original review post for the car. It was still under 30F back then.

7. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Re-member

OP is smart to realize what it is; but "local Tesla service didn’t know" is a real forehead-slapper.

Employees should RTFM!

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Love x 1
  8. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Yeah, page 43 https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model 3 Owners Manual.pdf

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. Shateam

Shateam Member

I see you're located in MN. Wait until the winter. Those dotted lines are going to look like this:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

• Funny x 10
    • Like x 2
  10. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

And then on the road trip to Winnipeg and it'd change to:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Funny x 13
  11. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Interesting. I only charge to 80% and still get these dots on my short commute. The conditions don’t seem to match any listed in the reasons why the dots would appear. Maybe the battery is just cold even though the temps are in the 50s

12. nicholb

nicholb Member

For me it seems to need to be above 70 to have no dots when starting out. Now with the temp being in the 40s a couple day I don't even get rid of all the dots before I finish my short commute.

13. boiler81

boiler81 Member

Yeah, Mine showed some dots on the "regen" end when the temps dropped below 50 deg. for the first time. I however did get a message on start up that regen was limited.

14. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I've got dots on the regen for the first ten min of every drive. Outside temps are in the 70s, battery is not full.

15. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

If I was in Winnipeg (or anywhere cold) -

. . . - - - . . .

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  16. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

Yes to even with "temps in the 50s". We noticed this in our Model S too first year we were driving it, although it appears in yellow there so more noticeable on the screen. Surprised us as 50s didn't seem all that cold to us. Got warmer outside and not there.

17. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

I think the 'warning' message was replaced with just dots, I see dots on my car's display and the temp is low 50s. Earlier in the year I got the (more scary) warning about reduced regen.

18. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Okay so sounds like normal operation at this point. Good to know.

19. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Hmmm. I was in the car for 50 minutes after work today. It was 55 degrees out. The dots never went away.

20. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

I get them too. I’ve found that charging for 30-40 minutes before I leave on a cool morning (warming the battery) but not to more than 80% or so let’s me leave with full regen capabilities.