TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anyone know what these dots under PRND mean?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by chrishawn, Aug 7, 2018.

1. chrishawn

chrishawn New Member

76EC0F66-A700-4D7F-B253-8218DA33C6B7.jpeg I assume it has something to do with regenerative braking but local Tesla service didn’t know either.

2. KFORE

KFORE Member

That means your max regen ability is reduced. Potentially due to high battery temps, high state of charge (looks to be that in this case), or some other variable with the battery. They'll go away once your SoC starts to drop.

• Informative x 9
    • Helpful x 1
  3. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

I'm use to our graph and colored dashes on our MS so this was helpful to know. Thanks for asking the question and for the answer.

4. creativeguy

creativeguy Member

KFORE is right. I charged to 100% for a trip and had no regeneration (it coasted), and showed even more dots than that until I ran down the battery a bit. Then the regeneration returned and the dots changed to the line.

5. RayK

RayK Member

Yes.

(Smarta$$ answer based upon query used in thread title.)

Related note: When I rented a 3 back in January I saw warning message the morning after the car was delivered to me. It said that regen had an issue. I thought I had broken the car. Only after I did some reading here did I realize that cold weather affects the battery charging.

6. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

Same. I even called it out as a bug with the firmware in my original review post for the car. It was still under 30F back then.

7. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Re-member

OP is smart to realize what it is; but "local Tesla service didn’t know" is a real forehead-slapper.

Employees should RTFM!

• Like x 2
  8. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Yeah, page 43 https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model 3 Owners Manual.pdf

9. Shateam

Shateam Member

I see you're located in MN. Wait until the winter. Those dotted lines are going to look like this:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 2
  10. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

And then on the road trip to Winnipeg and it'd change to:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Funny x 2