TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anyone know where this plastic is from?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by dj905, Jan 23, 2014.

1. dj905

dj905 Member

This piece of plastic appeared at my feet the other day after an aggressive stop to help clean my brake rotors. I cannot seem to figure out where it came from. Any ideas?

David

Tesla_plastic_piece.jpg

2. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

maybe it's not from your car lol

3. Zextraterrestrial

time warp?

maybe it is from a Model E?

4. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

I have a cover like that on my small, portable air compressor. Do you have kids? Is it off one of their toys?

5. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

It looks like some sort of cover, where you hook the plastic hooks onto an edge and then snap the cover into place. I don't know where it belongs, but there could be something exposed somewhere in the car. Maybe under one of the seats?

6. Zextraterrestrial

I would guess under the dash next to the steering area based on the curves to it

7. dj905

dj905 Member

Some other clues...
    The markings say "f 14944 > PC-ABS < LH"

My kids are young adults, so they "rarely" carry toys around with them :)

I suspect that it is from under my seat, but I cannot see where.

David

8. Cestevenson

Cestevenson Member

Couldn't find exact part but according to LG Chemical LUPOY GP-5206F General Purpose PC/ABS Alloy, 20% Polymer Alloy, Weather Resistant, Flame Retardant
    This material is described:

Among the characteristics of LUPOY polycarbonate resins are excellent mechanical properties, high heat resistance, high impact strength, and dimensional stability.
    Applications:

Automotive: Automotive front ends, cluster pad main panel (instrument panel), lower cluster pad main, console box, glove box cover, door, wheel cover and cap, defroster grill, back mirror housing

Electrical and Electronic: Monitor housing, fax housing, notebook PC housing, cellular phone case, fax and copy machine frame, CD ROM drive tray and main frame, relay case, connector, switch

Industrial Parts and Household Appliance: Helmet, terminal box, electrical tool housing, industrial bobbin, distributing board box, power tool component, gears and cams, water meter housing

Information Provided by LG Chem

so look around those areas. Or just call Tesla.

9. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

To clean the brake rotors? Does braking that hard cause more good than wear and tear?

10. MoeMistry

MoeMistry Local Vendor - SoCal

Can't figure out the scale...how big is it? Whatever it is, it belongs on the driver side of the car. Call the service center and parts department and give them those #s...they'll let you know what it is

11. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

That's not plastic, it's a curl off a unicorn's hoof...

12. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

#12 jhs_7645, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    *EDIT* Seems that it is NOT this part (though it must be a brother from another mother).

That is the small piece of plastic that goes under the door handle on the interior. Sometimes they pop off if somebody catches their finger under it while opening the door from the inside. Started happening for me and even snapping it back in didn’t keep it in, Service eventually replaced it.

2013-Tesla-Model-S-interior-1.jpg

13. MoeMistry

MoeMistry Local Vendor - SoCal

That's what I thought, but couldn't tell the scale of the part from the photo

14. dj905

dj905 Member

The piece is relatively large at 5" x 3.5". I have just discovered that it is from the outside of the B pillar (hidden normally by both doors). I still haven't figured out how it got inside the car. Maybe it was the Unicorn after all :)

15. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

That comes as a complete surprise to me. I wish I had the part I was talking about to photograph and show you. It's *FREAKISHLY* identical in shape and dimensions, as MoeMistry said, the only thing missing was scale.

16. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I believe this is the result of computer design. Because in any given design software, certain shapes are easier to make then others. You can always tell the '90s Fords were designed on SGI systems because of the rounded rear windows.