Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone know where this plastic is from?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This piece of plastic appeared at my feet the other day after an aggressive stop to help clean my brake rotors. I cannot seem to figure out where it came from. Any ideas?

David

Tesla_plastic_piece.jpg

Couldn't find exact part but according to LG Chemical LUPOY GP-5206F General Purpose PC/ABS Alloy, 20% Polymer Alloy, Weather Resistant, Flame Retardant
This material is described:

Among the characteristics of LUPOY polycarbonate resins are excellent mechanical properties, high heat resistance, high impact strength, and dimensional stability.
Applications:

Automotive: Automotive front ends, cluster pad main panel (instrument panel), lower cluster pad main, console box, glove box cover, door, wheel cover and cap, defroster grill, back mirror housing

Electrical and Electronic: Monitor housing, fax housing, notebook PC housing, cellular phone case, fax and copy machine frame, CD ROM drive tray and main frame, relay case, connector, switch

Industrial Parts and Household Appliance: Helmet, terminal box, electrical tool housing, industrial bobbin, distributing board box, power tool component, gears and cams, water meter housing

Information Provided by LG Chem

so look around those areas. Or just call Tesla.

*EDIT* Seems that it is NOT this part (though it must be a brother from another mother).

That is the small piece of plastic that goes under the door handle on the interior. Sometimes they pop off if somebody catches their finger under it while opening the door from the inside. Started happening for me and even snapping it back in didn’t keep it in, Service eventually replaced it.

2013-Tesla-Model-S-interior-1.jpg

Last edited:
That is the small piece of plastic that goes under the door handle on the interior. Sometimes they pop off if somebody catches their finger under it while opening the door from the inside. Started happening for me and even snapping it back in didn’t keep it in, Service eventually replaced it.

View attachment 41738

That's what I thought, but couldn't tell the scale of the part from the photo

The piece is relatively large at 5" x 3.5". I have just discovered that it is from the outside of the B pillar (hidden normally by both doors). I still haven't figured out how it got inside the car. Maybe it was the Unicorn after all :)

That comes as a complete surprise to me. I wish I had the part I was talking about to photograph and show you. It's *FREAKISHLY* identical in shape and dimensions, as MoeMistry said, the only thing missing was scale.

I believe this is the result of computer design. Because in any given design software, certain shapes are easier to make then others. You can always tell the '90s Fords were designed on SGI systems because of the rounded rear windows.