TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anyone knows if we can still enjoy the HOV perks in Ontario post June 30

Discussion in 'Canada' started by blackscraper, May 26, 2016.

1. blackscraper

blackscraper Member

Any insiders?

2. Breezy

Breezy Member

I'm not an insider, but the MTO website refers to making HOV access permanent for vehicles with green vehicle plates. Seems that it's just a matter of procedure at this point.

The following vehicles have unrestricted access to HOV lanes, no matter how many passengers they are carrying :
    •buses of all types
    •licensed taxis and airport limousines (currently until June 30, 2016; ministry has proposed to extend until June 30, 2018)
    •emergency vehicles
    •electric vehicles with green licence plates (currently until June 30, 2016; ministry has proposed to make it permanent)

3. blackscraper

blackscraper Member

That is good news.

4. NovemberXray

NovemberXray Member

What if you're just visiting Ontario and don't have special plates? Can you use the HOV lanes? :)

5. blackscraper

blackscraper Member

maybe the ticket can be ignored and thrown away:p

just joking.

6. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

I doubt the fact that you're driving an EV, and have HOV privileges in your home province or state, will grant you HOV privileges in Ontario... if you're complying with the number of persons in the vehicle, I'd think you'll be fine.

7. Aussie Bob

Aussie Bob Member

It will be interesting to see if the HOV lanes are permanently made available to Vehicles with green plates. I would like to continue using them.

8. SMPL

SMPL Member

Starting July 1 it will no longer be called an HOV lane but instead a HOT - high occupancy toll lane. Two or more people in a car and green vehicles will still be allowed. For some rediculous reason (government trying to make $$) they will also be selling a limited amount of passes to commuters who drive on their own in that lane as a test pilot thing.

So us tesla folks are still good to go !!!!!

9. SMPL

SMPL Member

10. rapoport3a

rapoport3a Member

Unfortunately that's rather old news and there's no indication the gov't is ready to start the project any time soon. I wouldn't bet on this summer.

11. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Member

I wish the Green vehicles on the HOV lanes would be for fully electric only, such as the Tesla vehicles.
    I don't believe hybrid cars should be allowed as they are really a gas engined car with a gimmick of a battery powerplant.

12. wayner

wayner Active Member

The point of hybrids has come up before. Hybrids like the Prius are NOT eligible for Green plates. But hyrbrids like a Chevy Volt are. And I think that is fair since the Volt is really an electric vehicle with a gas backup. I have a co-worker who has one and he said that he only burns a few litres per year.

13. wayner

wayner Active Member

Hopefully it isn't made permanent due to the fact that in a decade or so EVs become so prevalent that it no longer makes sense to give EV drivers special privileges.