Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone knows if we can still enjoy the HOV perks in Ontario post June 30

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not an insider, but the MTO website refers to making HOV access permanent for vehicles with green vehicle plates. Seems that it's just a matter of procedure at this point.

The following vehicles have unrestricted access to HOV lanes, no matter how many passengers they are carrying :
•buses of all types
•licensed taxis and airport limousines (currently until June 30, 2016; ministry has proposed to extend until June 30, 2018)
•emergency vehicles
•electric vehicles with green licence plates (currently until June 30, 2016; ministry has proposed to make it permanent)

Starting July 1 it will no longer be called an HOV lane but instead a HOT - high occupancy toll lane. Two or more people in a car and green vehicles will still be allowed. For some rediculous reason (government trying to make $$) they will also be selling a limited amount of passes to commuters who drive on their own in that lane as a test pilot thing.

So us tesla folks are still good to go !!!!!

I wish the Green vehicles on the HOV lanes would be for fully electric only, such as the Tesla vehicles.
I don't believe hybrid cars should be allowed as they are really a gas engined car with a gimmick of a battery powerplant.

The point of hybrids has come up before. Hybrids like the Prius are NOT eligible for Green plates. But hyrbrids like a Chevy Volt are. And I think that is fair since the Volt is really an electric vehicle with a gas backup. I have a co-worker who has one and he said that he only burns a few litres per year.