TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anyone knows what 8 red flashes on HPWC means?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by whitex, Apr 24, 2018.

1. whitex

whitex Active Member

The manual (for the older HPWC which this is) only goes up to 4 and then it says to contact Tesla for service. This however only happens with the brand new 2018 Model S (48A charger) while working fine with an older car (80A charger) and it used to work just fine with 2017 Model S (also 48A charger). It also only happens when the car completes charging.

Does anyone know what 8 red flashes mean?

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

Call Tesla, "requires Servicing"

3. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Active Member

4. gjunky

gjunky Trifecta: Solar and both cars are EVs

Not much help as I don’t know about the eight flashes but did you try to reboot it (flip the breaker it is wired to)? It might just reset although I guess it wouldn’t charge any car. Still, worth a try.

5. whitex

whitex Active Member

Thanks. I was just thinking of that. Will try tonight (first will try manually lowering to 40A and see if problem still occurs, then reboot the HPWC and see if I can go 48A again). It could be some compatibility thing where Tesla doesn't test charging of new cars with older HPWC's. At least this error only happens on "Charge Complete". I was hoping someone knew what 8 flashes mean (maybe something like "unknown communication command" or something that would help diagnosing why it happens with new car but not old).

6. whitex

whitex Active Member

Quick update, 8 flashes means incorrect pilot level. Not sure why this happens intermittently with new cars and old HPWC's (there is a new post by another member who encountered the same problem).