Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone knows what those motors are

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
remember when GM designed cars to last for only about 3-4 years before they crapped out.....tedls wanted repeat business because older cars cannot accept all the new tech updates that people want....they keep introducing new software but dont take care of older cars that paid for the upgrade....they are making them wait

I sure do remember...and went to Asian cars 30+ years ago, never looked back

Still have a '95 with 458k miles, might turn it into my own custom EV if Tesla does not get their act together.

• Funny
Reactions: r1200gs4ok
I thi
As an engineer, it makes sense if they are worried about thermal runaway and know they don’t have enough cooling capacity to stop it after charging to ~80% and that they have to keep it from raising temperature even a little

As an owner, it’s quite a problem... what do they know? Are these batteries all that close to going up in a poof of lithium tinged fire?

I think all these changes are rather draconian measures to keep catastrophic failures near zero. Bad press, and hurts sales. Nerfing and disabling our older cars will hurt sales too, they just haven't seen it yet. I have no problem cancelling my 2022 order and turning my MS into a powerwall...

I have a high pitched whine of late; usually when charged over 80%

I also have a gurgling sound behind the dash / instrument cluster, which is odd. It seems to present itself early in my drive but is sometimes present even after I've driven for 30 minutes. Any ideas?

P85D

I sure do remember...and went to Asian cars 30+ years ago, never looked back

Still have a '95 with 458k miles, might turn it into my own custom EV if Tesla does not get their act together.
Tesla was the first American car I bought in 15 years... and if they insist on telling me I made a mistake to come back top American cars it might have been the last ever.

• Love
Reactions: aerodyne
These 2 motors on my 2015 MS are running 24/7 lately (except during a software update where they turned off). Anyone know what those are?
View attachment 535631
I complained to Tesla about my slow supercharging speeds. They identified that the pumps were running constantly (I didn't notice it). Pumps were changed. Pumps now still run a ton - but make way more noise -- now I notice it. Guessing they are trying to keep my battery from catching on fire and needed stronger/better pumps to accomplish such?...

I have been charging all of our Teslas to 90%, since 2013. I never noticed the pump problem. I only noticed it last week as I was working on replacing the MCU (long story for another thread) and the thing is, the pumps go for a little bit after charging to 90% but then they stop. In my case the pumps didn't kick back in for another day or so (when they did, they overwhelmed my 10A battery tender and discharged the battery). I repeated this experiment and the same thing happened, charge to 90% run for a little bit, shut off for a day or so, start running for 24hrs straight after that. So it seems 90% doesn't quite trigger it, but some lower percentage does, or maybe sitting at 90% and self discharging (nothing was draining the battery as MCU was out so DC-DC converter would not kick in).

I think all these changes are rather draconian measures to keep catastrophic failures near zero. Bad press, and hurts sales. Nerfing and disabling our older cars will hurt sales too, they just haven't seen it yet. I have no problem cancelling my 2022 order and turning my MS into a powerwall...

the SO is completely disinterested in Tesla now. The deal breaker was when they removed the ESA and Free Supercharging (all legit) from My Tesla account. Still haven’t fixed it, but after many emails and calls, the service center says they can see the ESA and honor it.

Doesn’t help my MS has been in service 5 times in 6 months. Sheen is off.

We had gotten as far as test drives for her (a 7-seat MX) and had a second charger installed.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
I store the car at 55%, rarely go outside of 30-70% per EM and JB's recomendations years ago.

Can you expand on this, please? (I'm a noob, no idea who EM and JB are....)

I've read that high states of charge are OK for a short duration (i.e., charging all the way up before a long leg is fine; right before parking for a week is not); and that VERY low charge (2% or less) should be avoided altogether. Other than that, I've seen numbers anywhere from 75% - 90% as "targets" to charge to. I've been using 80% for lack of any better information.

Am I overdoing it, to exceed 70%??

• Funny
Reactions: dark cloud
Can you expand on this, please? (I'm a noob, no idea who EM and JB are....)

I've read that high states of charge are OK for a short duration (i.e., charging all the way up before a long leg is fine; right before parking for a week is not); and that VERY low charge (2% or less) should be avoided altogether. Other than that, I've seen numbers anywhere from 75% - 90% as "targets" to charge to. I've been using 80% for lack of any better information.

Am I overdoing it, to exceed 70%??

Oh boy, gotta hit funny on this one. :)

Reactions: Jughead135