Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone leasing had their miles taken?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First up sorry that’s it’s long!!

I’ve been leasing a model 3 since the 2nd September. I paid the deposit myself as I was going to buy the car, then decided to go with a leasing company instead which was LeasePlan UK. I used a referral code that got me 5000 miles on delivery.

I have since had three people use my referral code, one was a friend who picked up in December, and two from this forum picked up in March (thanks).

In all 8000 miles.

Early April, 5602 miles were taken from my account leaving me with 2000 miles. I think I emailed every Tesla email to try and find out why as I thought every referral ’stacked’ and got no reply.

I put in a service request who couldn’t help but my miles went up to 3000.

I finally received a reply on the 27th May....

‘Dear mister Tann,

Thanks for sending this email. After looking into the system I found out that the first 5000 mile of free charging had an expire date of 6 months. Therefor this was removed from the account 6 months after delivery. The remaining 3000 mile of free charging has been added due to the referral link you have send out. These have an a bit more expire date and all expire on the 18-10-2021.

Greetings,

Tesla Referral Team.’

Ok I thought. Maybe ‘using’ a referral code you get 6 months but when someone ‘uses’ your code then it stacks. Fair enough.

Come the morning of the 9th July I was looking at my app as I was going to be using a supercharger and wanted to know if it was open as my nearest is closed. I noticed all my miles were gone.

I replied to the email...

‘Thank you. But all my remaining miles that were due to expire on the 18/10/2021 seem to be missing now?

Can you get them back please!‘

I received this reply after a couple of hours....

‘Dear Mister Tann,

Thank you for replying our email. After again checking in the system I can see that the remaining 3000 miles are still active and have the expire date as send yesterday. Could you please make contact with customer support and then account support. They will be able to help you since all systems are good from the referral side.

Greetings

Tesla Referral team.’

I emailed account support, went out and used the supercharger that I had to. Now I haven’t used one for a long time but on the screen it had how much it was charging me. I decided to call customer services. The person on the phone directed me to email the Tesla virtual service Team which I did and have still not got a reply, I also put in another mobile service request.

On Friday I received an email from Tesla...

‘Review Your Payment Method
You can now change your payment method and billing information for Supercharging fees. To keep your Supercharger access enabled, please confirm that your payment method is up-to-date in your Tesla Account.
Your complete balance of fees and charges from previous sessions is available under 'History' in your Tesla Account. Supercharging fees and idle fees are currently invoiced after each individual session. However, you can generate and download an expense report including VAT details during a selected date range.’

I received a call Friday from my local service centre to say that it should be sorted and showing in the app, I refreshed, logged out and in, nothing. I was told it should sort itself out and that they would call me today to check.

I just received this by text...

‘Good Morning Mr Tann

Following on from our conversation on Friday I have now received confirmation that unfortunately you will not receive the referral miles I am afraid. At this time referral awards are given to the vehicle owner's account, in this case the leasing company. We are looking to see whether these awards can be applied to the vehicle driver's account but do not have a time frame for this.

Please do not hesitate to reply to this message or give us a call on 01322643211, option 5. We will also cancel your appointment request as your vehicle does not need to come into the Service Centre. Kind Regards Tesla Dartford’

Piss poor.

Mmmm.
Clearly Tesla have let the kids muck around with your account.
There is no way on earth that your leasing company is entitled to your referral miles. Your referral has your name in it, not a leasing company's name. The leasing company hasn't referred anybody.
The leasing company doesn't pay for your charging so why on earth should they receive the credits.
Utter nonsense.
Demand to speak to an adult at Tesla . (Can be a challenge)

Mmmm.
Clearly Tesla have let the kids muck around with your account.
There is no way on earth that your leasing company is entitled to your referral miles. Your referral has your name in it, not a leasing company's name. The leasing company hasn't referred anybody.
The leasing company doesn't pay for your charging so why on earth should they receive the credits.
Utter nonsense.
Demand to speak to an adult at Tesla . (Can be a challenge)
I couldn’t agree more, when I leased my M3P in March, I agreed with the lease co to use a referral code, which they did on order. Months later and still no free miles, although last week I was told I would finally get them by tomorrow, and on my account, not the lease co’s. So let’s see. My brother also ordered an M3P 30/05/20, using my referral code, which I can see in the app. When he collects his car this/next week, I’m hoping to see another 1000 miles against my account. If not, I’m gonna make a song and dance out of principal.

You might not see them in the account still, as there appears to be a known issue at the moment for lease customers where the loot box doesn't show them, but Tesla can verify they are available.

Mine were all there (until 2023) but disappeared when they started making account changes, Tesla confirmed by email that they were all still there and usable.

The list of referrals screwed up too to show no names against the majority of orders - not sure when that'll be fixed.

I'm watching this with interest.
I am through Leaseplan and so far no referral miles from the code I used are showing.
I used my colleague's code and he also hasn't received his as a result either.

Where to start. I have feared this for a while now. I can’t even see any miles in my app so I’m not even at this point.
So when I ordered with someone’s referral code, the leasing companies name appeared. When others have used mine through leasing companies it comes up with the leasing company name. The leasing company has referred no one, but the miles are almost certainly going against their name. If the tesla fleet can use them then I don’t actually have an issue.
@Tann_man please keep me updated on what happens, either through this thread or direct message.

I'm watching this with interest.
I am through Leaseplan and so far no referral miles from the code I used are showing.
I used my colleague's code and he also hasn't received his as a result either.
Assuming you have taken delivery of the car, this would suggest the referral wasn’t added. It should show in your colleagues account that the car is either ordered/delivered/cancelled.

Where to start. I have feared this for a while now. I can’t even see any miles in my app so I’m not even at this point.

So when I ordered with someone’s referral code, the leasing companies name appeared. When others have used mine through leasing companies it comes up with the leasing company name. The leasing company has referred no one, but the miles are almost certainly going against their name. If the tesla fleet can use them then I don’t actually have an issue.
@Tann_man please keep me updated on what happens, either through this thread or direct message.

My Tesla referral includes my Christian name. If you lease does your referral have the name of the leasing company?

Can’t help but feel chasing my other miles ‘the 5000 taken’ someone has looked into it and taken all of my remaining miles. Beyond peed with the customer service/aftercare tbh, hearing different things from different people/ departments or the time it actually takes for anyone to get back to you most of the time. If i had not said a thing it would probably have been left alone.

Long first post, but my interpretation from it was that your initial '5000 miles' (its actually deducted in kWh) legitimately ran out as your other referrals had not yet collected their cars within the 6 month since you took delivery of yours. Had one of the referrals taken delivery within your 6 month period, then you should have also kept the remainder of the initial '5000', plus additional 1000 miles and 6 month extension, and again for each referral that took delivery before the final referral date expired. Once final date expires, I believe the clock resets then starts again on collection of the car.

One advantage of a lease car purchase to the referrer is that generally lease cars do not seem to get cancelled (fingers crossed as I have an uncollected lease referral awaiting collection), just reallocated to someone else. And yes, it comes up in the name of the lease company. I had previously lost two referrals from cancelled orders.

Last edited:
Long first post, but my interpretation from it was that your initial '5000 miles' (its actually deducted in kWh) legitimately ran out as your other referrals had not yet collected their cars within the 6 month since you took delivery of yours. Had one of the referrals taken delivery within your 6 month period, then you should have also kept the remainder of the initial '5000', plus additional 1000 miles and 6 month extension, and again for each referral that took delivery before the final referral date expired. Once final date expires, I believe the clock resets then starts again on collection of the car.

One advantage of a lease car purchase to the referrer is that generally lease cars do not seem to get cancelled (fingers crossed as I have an uncollected lease referral awaiting collection), just reallocated to someone else. And yes, it comes up in the name of the lease company. I had previously lost two referrals from cancelled orders.

Yes very long sorry! I picked up in September and my first referral picked up in December. So would have still been within the first 6 months. Unsure of what my next step should be

I know I just wrote this in the other topic, but maybe this topic is more relevant.

My 13,000 miles have just disappeared from my account too (along with the Model 3 from the account page). I'm with ZenAuto. The car has always shown in my account from day one (December 2019) and my miles have gone up almost weekly as my referrals have had their cars delivered.

My account balance was showing around 11,000 miles a couple of weeks ago when I last checked, and two of my referrals had their cars delivered last week, so my miles went up to 13,000 miles. But checking now, it's empty.

My 'referrals' still show their first names, delivery dates etc, but there are no miles.

By the way, I too got that email from Tesla about updating my payment details (which I've done).

I understand the car not showing in the account might be because it's not my car, I get that, strange they'd change it 6 months later though.

I created my Tesla account 2 years ago, way before the lease company took the car over. So the URL (my first name), referred sales, miles etc are mine, surely? I cannot understand why Tesla would remove it all.

I've emailed ZenAuto and delivery@. Any other email addresses I should try?

In a nut shell it is a piss poor system as you said. It should have nothing to do with ownership even to the point that a non tesla owner should be able to refer and be rewarded in some form maybe a discount incentive. I could not refer - Zen again! My points would have gone to Bjorn he worked like mad to get me onboard.

I had exactly the same experience. I was referred by a friend with a M3LR and took delivery of my car through nhsfleetsolutions. My friend has received his 1000 miles free but I had not. So I emailed Tesla, this is what they sent me:

Supercharger Miles Query

Hi,

Many thanks for your enquiry. I have identified the issue for you in this instance. As the Car was purchased via a Third Party Leasing company it has not been registered against your own Tesla Account and therefore no tie-in has been performed. In order to get this resolved, I would advise that you reach out to the Service team via your App. This will escalate the issue with your local team who can then provide assistance!

Many thanks,

Robin

Having reached out to the service team twice in two days I really have no desire to speak to them anymore than I need to. I will book it in the app and see what they do.