Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone leave the tow receiver on all the time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ours in on 100% of the time. I ended up cutting an opening in the door to allow the receiver to stay in place at all times. It also allows for chain extensions. When not towing I'll zip tip the chain extensions horizontally to the hitch.

I also cut a hole and moved the 7-blade connector to the rear of the belly pan, next to the hitch opening (just to the left in this photo).

Tow Hitch Opening

Reactions: EVCollies
We just received our Model X and I want to just have the receiver on the car all the time so that I can slap on the bike rack and go biking!
should be ok?
thanks,
Bob

Should be fine and not cause a problem by itself. Just don't bump into anything. Severe damage can happen if you hit something with the receiver, let alone if you have a ball hitch attached. Concentrates all the energy of a small bump into a single point location attached to the frame, instead of distributed across the relatively broad surface built to absorb impacts. Personally, I do not leave the receiver attached unless I am actively towing (which is infrequent).

• Informative
Reactions: AhwatukeeDad