Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone looking at a CPO P85+ I'm driving around in P41960 as a loaner this week.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has a 5/2014 build date stamp. If you're seriously interested in this particular car, I'd be happy to give you excruciating detail and even photos on its condition and features. I'm finding all the little differences between my 9 month newer P85D and this car quite interesting...

Likewise. Assuming your PD has the + suspension? Staggered?

Please let us know the details...

Here's a list of differences I've noticed up to this point... More as I come across new things.

1. Traction control is optional. It seems fairly easy to break the back wheels loose with traction control off. Given how easy it is on a P85+, I think I understand why they made it mandatory on a P85D though I’d still welcome the option.
  2. Power seems great overall, but with much less of a jarring 0-20mph experience. Stab the accelerator and it accelerates like a ‘normal’ fast car, not like you just got hit in the rear end by a wrecking ball. Highway accel is too close to call with butt dyno. Needs calibrated instruments.
  3. Steering seems lighter for some reason. I don’t know if this is due to power steering hardware changes (associated with AP?) or wheel differences (I have 19” standard, this has 21”), but I would say that ‘Sport’ steering in this car feels more like ‘Standard’ in mine. I prefer heavier steering personally.
  4. The ride overall doesn’t seem much different from my early P85D (which is supposed to have the ‘+’ suspension, but non-staggered wheels). I haven’t pushed it hard to see if the 21” wheels provide any better handling. Frankly, outside of a proper track, I’d be scared to take it anywhere close to the limit which is where you really find out what the differences are.
  5. Brakes seem fine, but there is a subtly different/louder sound to them particularly when I hit them hard at 3-4mph and pay close attention. This could be due to the AP changes for electro-mechanical braking or possibly due to the fact that my front motor drowns out the sound.
  6. Old hood latch mechanism with two latches. Front hood gap is much bigger for some reason (like .5” versus .25”) when closed.
  7. Car has a foot or two of clear bra applied to front end.
  8. Extra frunk space is nice, but I rarely use the frunk anyway, so not that big a deal for me personally.
  9. Somewhat quieter driving experience overall, not hearing whine of front motor.
  10. No annoying interior squeaks (unlike mine). Probably luck of the draw…
  11. Grey upgraded interior. More LED lights. Not sure the purpose of the under armrest ‘ambient’ lights, other than to look cool.
  12. Interior has wood, but it’s not the current Obeche wood I don’t think. It has more of a mottled look to it. It seems stained, but doesn’t look to be urethaned, but otherwise seems quite raw. Not to my personal taste, but not a showstopper by any means.
  13. Top of dashboard doesn’t have alcantara stripe.
  14. Alcantara throughout upper cabin, just like mine.
  15. Lack of yacht floor. I suppose the yacht floor is a bit nicer than the bare carpet in this car, but not functionally much different in the grand scheme of things.
  16. Old style sun visors are truly not tall enough as many have said. Glad they resolved that in later builds.
  17. Steering wheel horn cover appears to be made of leather, which is nicer than what I have, but I assume that’s associated with the upgraded interior package (?)
  18. Last-gen seats definitely less form-fitting than my next-gen seats. Prefer my next-gen front seats by quite a margin. I actually prefer the older style rear seats for two reasons. 1. Lower headrest don’t interfere with rear visibility as much, particularly the middle one. 2. No rear seat side bolsters to get in the way of kids’ car seat bases. Mine have been crushed by car seats sitting on top of them.
  19. Not sure if this was an upgraded interior thing, but parts of the front seats have alcantara bits which I don't believe I'd seen before.
  20. Lack of AP kind of sucks. Hadn’t realized how much I’d come to rely on it. I tried regular cruise control, but it felt weird when it just barreled down the road toward a slowing car. I turned it off and won’t use it again as I’m liable to forget that I need to brake a moment too late.
  21. Lack of summon, self-parking don’t seem that important in the grand scheme of things. They’re nice when they work, but I’m not sure how much effort I’m saving when using them as I still have to pay close attention to what the car’s doing.
  22. All three stalks attached to the steering column are different. The cruise and turn signal stalks on the left side are swapped, and both are different designs than in my car. The gear selector switch is in the same place, but appears to be of an earlier design.
  23. Not sure about this, but I *think* the dashboard screen is the older, lower resolution version. I could be wrong as my eyes aren't what they used to be.
  24. Interestingly, the pre-AP parking sensors provide less detail. The parking sensor avatar on the dashboard display only shows a simple left line and right line and doesn’t show the same level of detail around the shape/position of the intruding object.
  25. Last 0.5-inch of trunk close seems different. My trunk closes to about .5” and then you hear a little motors slowly pull it down the rest of the way. This car’s trunk seems to close in a single action, with more of a ‘thunk’. It’s possible that the difference is actually more to do with the rubber stoppers being more exposed on my car. Who knows…
  26. Car has jump seats. They are of the newer ‘breathable mesh’ design, like mine. I’ve seen cars with the older design that had more leather/vinyl bits. In them.
  27. I feel more visible and liable to attract attention in a cherry red car, but that might just be psychological.

More as I think of it…

A few more observations:

28. Wh/mi seems about the same. Due to different driving style and temp differences, I see pretty significant swings throughout the year , but I'd say that getting somewhere in the 300-340 Wh/mi range is about typical for my commute this time of year and this car seems right around that range so far.
29. The wheels are staggered on this car, square on mine. I don't noticed anything obvious in terms of day-to-day handling, but haven't really tried any spirited maneuvers other than a quick (and very successful) attempt to break the wheels loose with traction control off the other day.
30. In terms of shocks, both my car and this one have air suspension, however I will note that the speed bump I cross every day at work is a bit smoother to take at a slight angle on this car. My P85D reacts much harsher when I don't hit it square on. Not sure what that's about. Feels as if the P85D may have a stiffer chassis judging by similar behavior experienced on my previous Audi after I got a sway bar installed.
31. The floor mats look slightly different. The piping along the edges is different on this car. Not sure if they were fully re-designed or just sourced from a different supplier.
32. The chrome piece across the back of the car is different. The TESLA lettering is significantly more embossed/extruded. I was under the impression that this was actually a recent change, so either I'm wrong about that, or possibly they replaced the original (damaged?) piece on this car with a newly built part recently.
33. This car rolled off the assembly line before chrome cutouts were added to the front door sills. I believe these were originally added when the D's started shipping, so no surprise there.
34. The mirror adjust buttons have red LEDs in them and I need to sometimes press them twice to enable the adjustment state. I could be completely wrong about this, but I could swear that my car's mirror adjustment buttons don't have LEDs and I just press them once, then adjust.
35. UI responsiveness seems better overall. I could be wrong about this as well, but the lack of AP and related functions constantly driving UI updates seems to have led to a system that's just more responsive overall. There's no obvious lag in the volume roller on the steering wheel for example. I haven't rebooted in two days so far. We'll see how it goes toward the end of the week. My car trends toward an unusable mess after a couple weeks without a reboot.
36. Old school speedometer. I like it. Since I'm sure Tesla UI designers have nothing better to do than read this obscure thread and take notes, please for the love of god make the old 6.2 speedometer the default for AP cars when not using Autosteer or parking. I simply don't like nor want the annoying sonar sensors flashing while I'm driving myself and trying to pay attention to the actual road.
37. While on the topic of UI gripes, let's cover the uselessness of the car avatar inside the speedometer on a non-AP car. Let's just say that it's nearly completely pointless at best and with a red car, it's downright dangerous to use it to check if your brake lights are coming on with that tiny red avatar during a regen coast. The red pixels of the brake lights are practically impossible to make out without putting your face inside the steering wheel which -- like I said, seems dangerous.
38. This car has 3G --> My own car received the LTE upgrade months ago. I haven't spent time loading NAV maps or anything, but I'll be honest and say that Slacker seems as fast at queuing songs on 3G in this car as my car does with LTE. I suspect the real benefit of LTE is better connectivity in more remote places.
39. Interior dome lights are rather bluish compared to my car. I prefer the 'next-gen' incandescent-leaning LEDs they use on newer cars.

- - - Updated - - -

...and some pics (just in case you wondered whether this is a big, elaborate troll)

File_000.jpeg
File_001.jpeg
File_002.jpeg
File_004.jpeg
File_006.jpeg

Here's a list of differences I've noticed up to this point... More as I come across new things.

1. Traction control is optional. It seems fairly easy to break the back wheels loose with traction control off. Given how easy it is on a P85+, I think I understand why they made it mandatory on a P85D though I’d still welcome the option.
  2. Power seems great overall, but with much less of a jarring 0-20mph experience. Stab the accelerator and it accelerates like a ‘normal’ fast car, not like you just got hit in the rear end by a wrecking ball. Highway accel is too close to call with butt dyno. Needs calibrated instruments.
  3. Steering seems lighter for some reason. I don’t know if this is due to power steering hardware changes (associated with AP?) or wheel differences (I have 19” standard, this has 21”), but I would say that ‘Sport’ steering in this car feels more like ‘Standard’ in mine. I prefer heavier steering personally.
  4. The ride overall doesn’t seem much different from my early P85D (which is supposed to have the ‘+’ suspension, but non-staggered wheels). I haven’t pushed it hard to see if the 21” wheels provide any better handling. Frankly, outside of a proper track, I’d be scared to take it anywhere close to the limit which is where you really find out what the differences are.
  5. Brakes seem fine, but there is a subtly different/louder sound to them particularly when I hit them hard at 3-4mph and pay close attention. This could be due to the AP changes for electro-mechanical braking or possibly due to the fact that my front motor drowns out the sound.
  6. Old hood latch mechanism with two latches. Front hood gap is much bigger for some reason (like .5” versus .25”) when closed.
  7. Car has a foot or two of clear bra applied to front end.
  8. Extra frunk space is nice, but I rarely use the frunk anyway, so not that big a deal for me personally.
  9. Somewhat quieter driving experience overall, not hearing whine of front motor.
  10. No annoying interior squeaks (unlike mine). Probably luck of the draw…
  11. Grey upgraded interior. More LED lights. Not sure the purpose of the under armrest ‘ambient’ lights, other than to look cool.
  12. Interior has wood, but it’s not the current Obeche wood I don’t think. It has more of a mottled look to it. It seems stained, but doesn’t look to be urethaned, but otherwise seems quite raw. Not to my personal taste, but not a showstopper by any means.
  13. Top of dashboard doesn’t have alcantara stripe.
  14. Alcantara throughout upper cabin, just like mine.
  15. Lack of yacht floor. I suppose the yacht floor is a bit nicer than the bare carpet in this car, but not functionally much different in the grand scheme of things.
  16. Old style sun visors are truly not tall enough as many have said. Glad they resolved that in later builds.
  17. Steering wheel horn cover appears to be made of leather, which is nicer than what I have, but I assume that’s associated with the upgraded interior package (?)
  18. Last-gen seats definitely less form-fitting than my next-gen seats. Prefer my next-gen front seats by quite a margin. I actually prefer the older style rear seats for two reasons. 1. Lower headrest don’t interfere with rear visibility as much, particularly the middle one. 2. No rear seat side bolsters to get in the way of kids’ car seat bases. Mine have been crushed by car seats sitting on top of them.
  19. Not sure if this was an upgraded interior thing, but parts of the front seats have alcantara bits which I don't believe I'd seen before.
  20. Lack of AP kind of sucks. Hadn’t realized how much I’d come to rely on it. I tried regular cruise control, but it felt weird when it just barreled down the road toward a slowing car. I turned it off and won’t use it again as I’m liable to forget that I need to brake a moment too late.
  21. Lack of summon, self-parking don’t seem that important in the grand scheme of things. They’re nice when they work, but I’m not sure how much effort I’m saving when using them as I still have to pay close attention to what the car’s doing.
  22. All three stalks attached to the steering column are different. The cruise and turn signal stalks on the left side are swapped, and both are different designs than in my car. The gear selector switch is in the same place, but appears to be of an earlier design.
  23. Not sure about this, but I *think* the dashboard screen is the older, lower resolution version. I could be wrong as my eyes aren't what they used to be.
  24. Interestingly, the pre-AP parking sensors provide less detail. The parking sensor avatar on the dashboard display only shows a simple left line and right line and doesn’t show the same level of detail around the shape/position of the intruding object.
  25. Last 0.5-inch of trunk close seems different. My trunk closes to about .5” and then you hear a little motors slowly pull it down the rest of the way. This car’s trunk seems to close in a single action, with more of a ‘thunk’. It’s possible that the difference is actually more to do with the rubber stoppers being more exposed on my car. Who knows…
  26. Car has jump seats. They are of the newer ‘breathable mesh’ design, like mine. I’ve seen cars with the older design that had more leather/vinyl bits. In them.
  27. I feel more visible and liable to attract attention in a cherry red car, but that might just be psychological.

More as I think of it…

Great review thanks for taking the time on the review differences