Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone looking to have PPF in the DC area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am. Model X is going to be delivered on Monday. I have XPEL for the S, and I was going to go with that again. $8k is a bit steep though.

I agree. I can't justify 8K for paint protection film either. What did you pay to wrap your MS and did you wrap the whole car?

I'll get a quote from American Shine Detailing and let you know what I find out. I'm thinking about going with the latest Suntek Ultra defense PPF.

Paint Protection Film | PPF | Clear Bra | American Shine | Sterling Va

Is your avatar photo from the Caribbean? Wish I was there!

See my sig for a Suntek reference, did an excellent job and looks great after two years. Their reason for Suntek was that it was easier to wrap around edges and stayed there. No issues. They also custom cut everything. Had the entire car done and I think it was worth it.

We also have a 3 I wish we’d wrapped. Headlights and frunk show damage after a year.

Is your avatar photo from the Caribbean? Wish I was there!

Yep, flew a small plane down there and went island hopping. Kinda a long way from MD in a Cessna, but it was such a great tool for going to some of the out islands. That picture is an approach into Staniel Cay..

Back to the subject at hand (aka reality) ... :)

Got another quote for $7k from Speed and Tech motoring in VA..

Still not there for me.. but getting closer.

I read up on Suntek and I am considering it as well. The Suntek Ultra seems to be about the same as the XPEL in what it provides. Self healing, 10 years of warranty.

Yep, flew a small plane down there and went island hopping. Kinda a long way from MD in a Cessna, but it was such a great tool for going to some of the out islands. That picture is an approach into Staniel Cay..

I read up on Suntek and I am considering it as well. The Suntek Ultra seems to be about the same as the XPEL in what it provides. Self healing, 10 years of warranty.
Ah, forgot to mention the healing. No idea what it was, whether rock chips or mild keying, but had what looked like scratches on the frunk of the X. Hand buffing with detailing solution and a microfiber rag and they are gone. Not reduced, completely gone. Wouldn’t have believed it if I hadn’t done it myself. The sort of thing that makes you a future purchaser on every new car (and why I now wish we’d done the 3 day one.)

• Informative
Reactions: DCEV

Your photo reminded me of the BVI but that airport approach didn't look like EIS.

I'm leaning towards Suntek Ultra Defense as it's a more recent and thicker film. Given the huge expense, I'd like the film to offer as much protection as possible and Ultra Defense seems to offer protection a step above Suntek Ultra. Here's a video I found of it being installed in a Porsche Macan. I like how it retains the factory glass and finish.

I havent been to American Shine Detailing yet but they seem to have excellent reviews plus experience with Tesla. I'm just waiting until I have time to make it over there so perhaps we can inquire if they can offer a rate for a group by? We already have a few people interested in PPF in the DC area who have contacted me. Anyone else interested, please post a message here so we can track everyone.

American Shine Detailing | Ceramic Coating | Paint Correction | PPF

My MS has a full wrap. I think it was XPEL ultimate - the 11mmm thick film.

Group buy would be great - and we can all go with the Suntek Ultra Defense. I heard it is a bit harder to install though since it is thick.

I am told the MX is coming in on Monday (the 16th) so let's pick a shop and see if we can ask for a groupbuy.

Thanks for coordinating this!

My MS has a full wrap. I think it was XPEL ultimate - the 11mmm thick film.

Group buy would be great - and we can all go with the Suntek Ultra Defense. I heard it is a bit harder to install though since it is thick.

I am told the MX is coming in on Monday (the 16th) so let's pick a shop and see if we can ask for a groupbuy.

Thanks for coordinating this!

Congrats on your Model X delivery on Monday. Are you taking delivery at Tyson's?

I'm working on adding a few other Tesla owners for a group buy and would like to figure out the best installer to use within the upcoming week so we can get the PPF installs started. I had a close class yesterday so I want to get this done sooner rather than later!

I've enclosed below my research so far and the 3 places I am considering along with my expectations and what I' looking to have done. I'm leaning towards American Shine Detailing, just because they seem to have lots of Tesla expertise with many Tesla photos on their Web site and reviews but I'm curious to see what the other two places have to offer.

All 3 places are near Dulles Airport and I'm in Bethesda, so I need to find some time to take an afternoon off and check out all 3 places and get pricing information. Most of all, I want a shop with a stellar reputation, lots of experience with Tesla vehicles, and high skilled staff so we can expect a flawless job.

What do your schedule look like? Are you able to join me one afternoon to visit all 3 places?

PPF Install

+ Cost for full car PPF with Suntek Ultra Defense (with paint correction + touch up)

+ What type of sealant is do you apply over the film? How often to reapply sealant?

+ Does Ultra Defense have Orange Peel?

+ What maintenance is required to retain the warranty?

+ Any adjustment/check edges needed a week or so after the install?

Concerns

+ Car will be kept indoors from drop off to pick up time.

+ Guarantee that there will be no film cutting on paint with cut marks on the paint.

+ Fully insured while car is at the shop for PPF install.

+ Photos of car taken at drop off.

Maintenance

+ How to wash safely with a pressure washer and foam cannon

+ Is chemical guys honeydew snow foam safe when used with a foam canon?

+ Is Griot's Garage 10962 Spray-On Wax safe for use on the PPF?

+ What is recommended to use as a wax/sealant when I dry the car?

Use

+ What’s the best way to deal with bug residue? Small/moderate/heavy?

+ Is spraying Optimum No Rinse, letting it sit for 5 minutes and wiping safe?

American Shine Detailing

5.0121 Google reviews

22135 Davis Dr #107, Sterling, VA 20164

Phone: (703) 340-8640

americanshinedetailing.com

Exotic Vehicle Wraps

4.968 Google reviews

23590 Overland Dr #160, Sterling, VA 20166

(703) 574-6005

Paint Protection Film, PPF, Certified Custom Protective Film Installations

TLC Auto Detail

4.962 Google reviews

106 Oakgrove Rd L, Dulles, VA 20166

Phone: (703) 962-7106

Clear Bra/PPF - TLC Auto Detail

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
Sorry I had a hectic weekend and just seeing this.

My delivery happens in Rockville, scheduled for tomorrow.

I really like the list you have up there.

I visited a shop today in Rockville, All American Paint Protection. The shop is clean and nice.

I think the other shops are probably just as good, but I might be able to meet at one of the shops at noon or so tomorrow.

shoot me an e-mail mdcappilot at gmail dot com

Reactions: GOOCHY
Did you both go to the other shops? Any news to share?

Just a quick update: @stallhorn and I visited 3 highly rated SunTek authorized installers yesterday afternoon and we are now compiling pricing information. We are looking to have pretty much the whole car wrapped with SunTek Ultra Defense, which is SunTek's thickest and latest film on the market.

Of the 3 installers we met, we do have a clear favorite we felt most comfortable with and this is not just from a pricing perspective. I've been researching this for the last 6 months and will share the details of what we are able to work out soon!

Anyone else interested in the PPF Group Buy, please post here.

Ok.. here is an update...

I was really going back and forth on this PPF thing, looking at what is being quoted in this area. But I have it on my Model S (got it 4 years ago) and I don't cringe every time I drive by a guy shooting grass at me from his super-duper zero turn lawn mower as I am driving down the road. So I decided I am going to look into it...

So me and @DCEV found a shop! The owner is a great guy and took the time to explain what he will be doing. He was very patient with all the questions we were asking (and we had a lot!) and he quoted us a reasonable price on top of that! We are doing partial coverage, but I will divulge which shop it is once we get the wrap done so that whoever wants to talk to him can do that. I don't want everyone jumping on his schedule before me and @DCEV :)

I am a bit disappointed with some of the shops - 'you have a Tesla, so you must be a fat cat' kind of attitude. Just throw us the key and come back with a bunch of money - no need to ask questions kinda attitude. We don't do what you want, we do what we recommend kinda thing.

But happy to finally find someone good.

More to come!

Reactions: DCEV
I am a bit disappointed with some of the shops - 'you have a Tesla, so you must be a fat cat' kind of attitude. Just throw us the key and come back with a bunch of money - no need to ask questions kinda attitude. We don't do what you want, we do what we recommend kinda thing.

Are you happy with the price you were quoted?

That has been my pet peeve about every car I've inquired about pricing for tent, paint, or wrap jobs in the DMV. I feel like there's not a lot of competition compared to a place like California - and we are stuck with paying exorbitant prices for a decent job.

I was thinking about PPF - but in my mind I have settled with getting a complete vinyl job. In the process of researching different places (first need to get my car back from being repaired lol).

That has been my pet peeve about every car I've inquired about pricing for tent, paint, or wrap jobs in the DMV. I feel like there's not a lot of competition compared to a place like California - and we are stuck with paying exorbitant prices for a decent job.

I was thinking about PPF - but in my mind I have settled with getting a complete vinyl job. In the process of researching different places (first need to get my car back from being repaired lol).

You hit the nail on the head about the exorbitant prices in DMV and none of the shops are willing to budge at all.

We got a decent price, considering we are in DMV. It is by no means California or GA or FL prices though.

I had my Model S wrapped about 4 years ago for less than half of what I was being quoted by most shops. Unfortunately, the company that did it is not in business anymore - I am guessing early retirement :)

A wrap being an insurance of sorts, how much is the peace of mind worth to an owner? $4k? $8K? $12k? Maybe, maybe not...

It makes little financial sense - so does a $100k car that depreciates at terminal velocity.... So I go into it with the heart/emotions than the brain.

I agree with your sentiment, and this is why I researched PPF installers in the DC area for almost 6 months. The prices are all over the place. Some quotes are in the 5-digit range!

I consulted with the best installers I could find based on volume of installs, familiarity with Tesla vehicles, and reviews on Google, Facebook, and Yelp. I'm trying to save everyone else the hassle I went through by trying to setup the same offer I received for all the Tesla owners on this forum.

Prices are all over the place and even places that seem "nice" quickly become almost resentful after you ask a few specific questions and raise concerns such as ensuring they don't cut your paint while installing PPF. One place pretty much told me, oh that's why we get you to sign a disclaimer that we are not responsible if we cut your paint! I was like what?! You expect me to sign a disclaimer that absolves you from any damage you inflict on my car? I feel many of these places are used to dealing with customers who drop off they car, ask very few questions, and pay whatever is quoted.

At the end, we found a SunTek authorized PPF installer that emailed after our consultation to reiterate how they guarantee that they will not cut or otherwise damage the paint. They further said in the unlikely event they cause any damage, they will fix it without question. Plus the owner really seemed like a genuinely nice guy who cares about customers and patiently answered all my questions and concerns (I had a few!) without taking offense. When I told them I was concerned about my car in the parking lot, he promised it will be indoors in their shop from the time I drop it off to pick up. This is also the place that offered us a very reasonable quote as well. And the quote is not for some plotter cut pieces with edges showing but a full custom job with edges wrapped.

We are now finalizing the deal and will post the details soon.

BTW vinyl offers no protection and in fact could be even thinner and more vulnerable than paint. We'll post the details of the place after we get the first car wrapped so you may want to follow up with them for a no BS quote. Hopefully, the research we are doing now will help bring some sanity and clarity to anyone considering PPF for a reasonable fee.