Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone looking to have PPF in the DC area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with your sentiment, and this is why I researched PPF installers in the DC area for almost 6 months. The prices are all over the place. Some quotes are in the 5-digit range!

I consulted with the best installers I could find based on volume of installs, familiarity with Tesla vehicles, and reviews on Google, Facebook, and Yelp. I'm trying to save everyone else the hassle I went through by trying to setup the same offer I received for all the Tesla owners on this forum.

Prices are all over the place and even places that seem "nice" quickly become almost resentful after you ask a few specific questions and raise concerns such as ensuring they don't cut your paint while installing PPF. One place pretty much told me, oh that's why we get you to sign a disclaimer that we are not responsible if we cut your paint! I was like what?! You expect me to sign a disclaimer that absolves you from any damage you inflict on my car? I feel many of these places are used to dealing with customers who drop off they car, ask very few questions, and pay whatever is quoted.

At the end, we found a SunTek authorized PPF installer that emailed after our consultation to reiterate how they guarantee that they will not cut or otherwise damage the paint. They further said in the unlikely event they cause any damage, they will fix it without question. Plus the owner really seemed like a genuinely nice guy who cares about customers and patiently answered all my questions and concerns (I had a few!) without taking offense. When I told them I was concerned about my car in the parking lot, he promised it will be indoors in their shop from the time I drop it off to pick up. This is also the place that offered us a very reasonable quote as well. And the quote is not for some plotter cut pieces with edges showing but a full custom job with edges wrapped.

We are now finalizing the deal and will post the details soon.

BTW vinyl offers no protection and in fact could be even thinner and more vulnerable than paint. We'll post the details of the place after we get the first car wrapped so you may want to follow up with them for a no BS quote. Hopefully, the research we are doing now will help bring some sanity and clarity to anyone considering PPF for a reasonable fee.

Thanks so much for doing all the research!

When do you expect to have the group buy details finalized with the installer? I'll be down there for about a week for a conference and would love to get the car wrapped during that time.

I’m taking delivery of a used Model 3 at the end of the month. Curious to see what kind of pricing you can get.

Congrats!

We are just about done finalizing the group buy details. We'll post the details within the next few days. Before applying the PPF, the rate we are negotiating also includes a single step paint correction so that should help improve the paint in a vehicle that has been used for a while.

Good morning all!

Just dropped off my white model X at TLC auto detail in Dulles, VA. Very friendly shop owner - answered all the questions we had for him (and DCEV had a lot! :)). It is going to be done exactly the way we requested as opposed to the other shops that were not really interested in doing what we wanted and instead pushing what they want to do as far as film and how it is applied (pre-cut vs custom job).

We went with Suntek Ultra Defense (the newest thick film) and we will see how it comes out on Friday. I will post some pictures.

Price is a bit better than the other shops we talked to, but the biggest driver for me was that they are going with the film I wanted and I felt if anything were to go wrong, the shop will take full responsibility and fix it.

There is some bad mouthing going on about this shop from one of the other shops (due to some business dealings that went sour a few years ago - I understand), but they have a very good review from their customers. So don't let that stop you from talking to them.

We will see what the results look like come Friday! I will post some pictures in the interim and also on Friday, maybe do a video for you guys.

• Helpful
Reactions: DCEV
Wish I had seen this sooner. I’m interested. Did you consider Clearguard Nano or Nano Fusion? I’ve only been able to find a few people that can even do Nano Fusion and they are either too far, too pricey, too hard to reach, or don’t do paint correction or some combination of the above. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with Clearguard or Nano Fusion? TLC can do Clearguard.

Just as information to the DC Tesla community, it turns out that TLC auto-detailing is paying certain Tesla owners to talk them up/they get money for every person they refer who gets work done at TLC. They are also apparently paying some people to post good things about them in various online Tesla forums. I am NOT accusing anyone on this thread but just passing on the information. As always, caveat emptor.

Note - I have no financial interest in TLC or any other auto shop of any kind and am receiving no payment or compensation of any kind from anyone for this post or any other posts I have made recommending a product in any forum on the internet (including this forum). My opinions are expressly my own and recommendations I have made are merely recommendations from a satisfied customer.

• Informative
Reactions: J__T
Just as information to the DC Tesla community, it turns out that TLC auto-detailing is paying certain Tesla owners to talk them up/they get money for every person they refer who gets work done at TLC. They are also apparently paying some people to post good things about them in various online Tesla forums. I am NOT accusing anyone on this thread but just passing on the information. As always, caveat emptor.

Note - I have no financial interest in TLC or any other auto shop of any kind and am receiving no payment or compensation of any kind from anyone for this post or any other posts I have made recommending a product in any forum on the internet (including this forum). My opinions are expressly my own and recommendations I have made are merely recommendations from a satisfied customer.

I just reported your post for spreading unsubstantiated allegations given how you offered zero proof to back up your allegations.

You know, you can't have it both ways. How convenient for you to say you are not accusing anyone while posting accusatory allegations. You clearly took the initiative to post on this thread but if you are going to put out a seriously defamatory statement like that against a small business, please offer the proof to back up what you just said.

Who are these people that you are alleging gets paid? Where did these allegations come from? What posts specifically are you referring to that are subject to your allegations? Have you ever done business with them? Have you at least met them to go over work you would like to have done?

Why am I posting this? Because both me and @stallhorn together visited every single one of the major PPF installers in the DC area. Of the places we visited TLC Detail was the most reasonable in taking the time to understand our concerns and offer exactly what we wanted. We had both our cars wrapped with SunTek Ultra Defense (full body wrap with Suntek's latest and thickest/best film) as well as have our glass and wheels ceramic coated. We also had the front area of the car ceramic coated.

Between the two of us, we just spent a small fortune on PPF, ceramic coatings, and paint detailing, glass coatings and at no time did TLC Detail offer to pay us, offer us money for customers, or what you are alleging.

In fact it is we who were so happy with the service we received, that we told them we will share the results with everyone in the Tesla forum. I'm busy this week but I will post a detailed review of our experience and why we selected TLC Detailing. Most importantly, I'll post photos so anyone considering PPF can make an informed decision.

If you post similar unsubstantiated allegations in the future, I will call you out.

I run a small business so your post just hit a nerve with me as it is outrageous to make accusations based on innuendo if you are not going to offer any proof to harm someone's reputation or cause harm to a small business. Both myself and @stallhorn who just took delivery of a brand new Model X have a first hand account in dealing TLC Detailing.

I just picked up my fully wrapped P100D just this Tuesday and NONE of what you are alleging took place. I was so happy with the work that I gave Dave the owner a bottle of champagne and bought a dozen doughnuts for the staff. My P100D looked better than the day I picked it up from Tesla thanks to their hard work and as far as I'm concerned, TLC Detailing is the best PPF installer in the DC area. I'll post a detailed explanation as to why soon.

After spending a small fortune on my PPF install, I also bought their shop staff ice cream worth $75.71 and had it delivered to their detail shop from Coldstone Creamery via Uber Eats because I was that happy with their work and here's the receipt for he ice cream delivery. So while they did not offer me money, I did give them a bottle of champagne, a dozen doughnuts, and ice cream because I was so thrilled with how well they took care of my baby. I guess you can say I'm a satisfied customer.

Ice Cream.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: PhilDavid

Hello. My name is Dave and I am the owner and Founder of TLC Auto Detail in Sterling VA. The allegations you are making are 100% false. We have NEVER paid someone to refer work or write us good reviews. As with many companies we have offered referral discount (free maintenance wash, 10% off a follow up service etc.) to clients that bring in their friends and family's vehicles.

To make an unfounded claim like this on a public forum is absolutely inappropriate. You are literally using rumors to try and prevent me from paying my employees, my bills and, putting food on my family's table.

This rumor started because of drama on facebook between two local Tesla groups. The supporters of one group made the allegation that the owner of the other group was getting paid by us to refer work when in reality he went out of his way to set up a group buy with us that helped his fellow Tesla owners get a better deal on their services and helped us grow our business.

Anyone in the community that would like to know all of the details is free to call me any time they'd like and I'd be happy to have a conversation about it. For anyone that would like to question what I do with my time and money, please feel free to take a look at all of the charity events we organize and host. We just finished one where over $5,000 was raised for a charity called Stop Soldier Suicide that works with vets with mental health issues. We organize canned food donation drives at Thanksgiving and donated over $2,000 in toys to Toys for Toys last year. All of that comes out of my own personal time and much of my own personal money. I do it because these are things that I believe in, but I will not sit back and spread rumors by people that have never even taken the time to come and meet me and my amazing team of people.

Yep!

Got my model X back and it is perfect!

We talked to all the potential shops in this are with @DCEV,

TLC applied the film we wanted as opposed to the "recommended" film - the Suntek ultra defense. We were told by the other shops that ultra defense is too thick to work with and it will cost me upto a grand more if I chose to go with it.

We also didn't want seams, so no seams! The film was not pre-cut, it was cut as it was applied. And no one cut my paint :)

We wanted a good price, and negotiated a reasonable price for the DC area - which seems to be higher than even the Bay area for some reason.

We talked to 3 other shops and full Model X wrap came to $8k - $11k range with some telling us more if we really wanted the thicker film. This is higher than shops in other cities like Atlanta and LA, so it is being hiked artificially by the couple of shops around.

Funny thing is, I almost went with one of the fast talkers and almost didn't even talk to TLC, if it weren't for @DCEV.

FYI, I haven't gotten paid by anyone to say anything or have any interest with any company - just my experience. Maybe drklain ran away with the money he's supposed to deliver to me! :) - or maybe he is just trolling.

Have you guys considered ProShield Inc in Sterling.
I got my P100DL and my M5 done there and a few other cars that I have owned. A lot of my friends also had work done there n never a complaint till date.

David by far does PHENOMENAL work. I have seen many exotics have work done there all the from Rolls to Model 3 or even a civic.
Dave loves his work and takes utmost care doing a fine job.

Doesn't hurt to give him a call ...http://proshieldinc.com/

TLC does amazing work. I’ve known the owner for years. And I have never received a dime from him. I have paid him a lot for the work done.

It’s easy to talk crap behind a keyboard. If you want to talk to me in person send me an email

Tesla at immos dot us

I will show you my bills.

• Love
Have you guys considered ProShield Inc in Sterling.
I got my P100DL and my M5 done there and a few other cars that I have owned. A lot of my friends also had work done there n never a complaint till date.

David by far does PHENOMENAL work. I have seen many exotics have work done there all the from Rolls to Model 3 or even a civic.
Dave loves his work and takes utmost care doing a fine job.

Doesn't hurt to give him a call ...http://proshieldinc.com/

I wanted to work with an authorized SunTek detailer so I only visited detailers who were listed as authorized SunTek installers on the SunTek Web site. I also wanted SunTek's latest PPF called "Ultra Defense" and Dave at TLC Detail was able to obtain the film we wanted in a timely manner. Whenever I visited TLC Detail, they were working on several Tesla vehicles so it was good to see that they were very familiar with Tesla vehicles.

Congrats on your Model X delivery on Monday. Are you taking delivery at Tyson's?

I'm working on adding a few other Tesla owners for a group buy and would like to figure out the best installer to use within the upcoming week so we can get the PPF installs started. I had a close class yesterday so I want to get this done sooner rather than later!

I've enclosed below my research so far and the 3 places I am considering along with my expectations and what I' looking to have done. I'm leaning towards American Shine Detailing, just because they seem to have lots of Tesla expertise with many Tesla photos on their Web site and reviews but I'm curious to see what the other two places have to offer.

All 3 places are near Dulles Airport and I'm in Bethesda, so I need to find some time to take an afternoon off and check out all 3 places and get pricing information. Most of all, I want a shop with a stellar reputation, lots of experience with Tesla vehicles, and high skilled staff so we can expect a flawless job.

What do your schedule look like? Are you able to join me one afternoon to visit all 3 places?

PPF Install

+ Cost for full car PPF with Suntek Ultra Defense (with paint correction + touch up)

+ What type of sealant is do you apply over the film? How often to reapply sealant?

+ Does Ultra Defense have Orange Peel?

+ What maintenance is required to retain the warranty?

+ Any adjustment/check edges needed a week or so after the install?

Concerns

+ Car will be kept indoors from drop off to pick up time.

+ Guarantee that there will be no film cutting on paint with cut marks on the paint.

+ Fully insured while car is at the shop for PPF install.

+ Photos of car taken at drop off.

Maintenance

+ How to wash safely with a pressure washer and foam cannon

+ Is chemical guys honeydew snow foam safe when used with a foam canon?

+ Is Griot's Garage 10962 Spray-On Wax safe for use on the PPF?

+ What is recommended to use as a wax/sealant when I dry the car?

Use

+ What’s the best way to deal with bug residue? Small/moderate/heavy?

+ Is spraying Optimum No Rinse, letting it sit for 5 minutes and wiping safe?

American Shine Detailing

5.0121 Google reviews

22135 Davis Dr #107, Sterling, VA 20164

Phone: (703) 340-8640

americanshinedetailing.com

Exotic Vehicle Wraps

4.968 Google reviews

23590 Overland Dr #160, Sterling, VA 20166

(703) 574-6005

Paint Protection Film, PPF, Certified Custom Protective Film Installations

TLC Auto Detail

4.962 Google reviews

106 Oakgrove Rd L, Dulles, VA 20166

Phone: (703) 962-7106

Clear Bra/PPF - TLC Auto Detail
I have found your post really interesting and i love the detail and research you have done. I just picked up my model 3 last week and am leaning towards the suntek reaction ppf on the full car. I know that you did not use the reaction but i'm curious how you like your ppf now and if you have any regrets spending the money on it. I'm also wondering if you think I should wait to let the paint set more before I have the install done. With all the thought and planning that you put into this, I'd really appreciate your thoughts. Thanks, Jackie

Congrats on your Model X delivery on Monday. Are you taking delivery at Tyson's?

I'm working on adding a few other Tesla owners for a group buy and would like to figure out the best installer to use within the upcoming week so we can get the PPF installs started. I had a close class yesterday so I want to get this done sooner rather than later!

I've enclosed below my research so far and the 3 places I am considering along with my expectations and what I' looking to have done. I'm leaning towards American Shine Detailing, just because they seem to have lots of Tesla expertise with many Tesla photos on their Web site and reviews but I'm curious to see what the other two places have to offer.

All 3 places are near Dulles Airport and I'm in Bethesda, so I need to find some time to take an afternoon off and check out all 3 places and get pricing information. Most of all, I want a shop with a stellar reputation, lots of experience with Tesla vehicles, and high skilled staff so we can expect a flawless job.

What do your schedule look like? Are you able to join me one afternoon to visit all 3 places?

PPF Install

+ Cost for full car PPF with Suntek Ultra Defense (with paint correction + touch up)

+ What type of sealant is do you apply over the film? How often to reapply sealant?

+ Does Ultra Defense have Orange Peel?

+ What maintenance is required to retain the warranty?

+ Any adjustment/check edges needed a week or so after the install?

Concerns

+ Car will be kept indoors from drop off to pick up time.

+ Guarantee that there will be no film cutting on paint with cut marks on the paint.

+ Fully insured while car is at the shop for PPF install.

+ Photos of car taken at drop off.

Maintenance

+ How to wash safely with a pressure washer and foam cannon

+ Is chemical guys honeydew snow foam safe when used with a foam canon?

+ Is Griot's Garage 10962 Spray-On Wax safe for use on the PPF?

+ What is recommended to use as a wax/sealant when I dry the car?

Use

+ What’s the best way to deal with bug residue? Small/moderate/heavy?

+ Is spraying Optimum No Rinse, letting it sit for 5 minutes and wiping safe?

American Shine Detailing

5.0121 Google reviews

22135 Davis Dr #107, Sterling, VA 20164

Phone: (703) 340-8640

americanshinedetailing.com

Exotic Vehicle Wraps

4.968 Google reviews

23590 Overland Dr #160, Sterling, VA 20166

(703) 574-6005

Paint Protection Film, PPF, Certified Custom Protective Film Installations

TLC Auto Detail

4.962 Google reviews

106 Oakgrove Rd L, Dulles, VA 20166

Phone: (703) 962-7106

Clear Bra/PPF - TLC Auto Detail
Very impressed with your research! I am in Ellicott City, MD and I got my model 3 last week and would like to use have PPF on my car as well. I understand that I'm about 2 years late in getting in on your group purchase but I'm interested in how you like your film two years later. I am considering the new SunTek Reaction which comes with a 12 year warranty. My concerns are that fact that it is new and not yet really proven in the consumer marketplace, ability of installers to put the new film on and of course, whether the 20% upcharge from Ultra is worth it. I'm also wondering since I just picked up my car if I should wait a little longer until the paint has a little more time to set. Thanks so much, Jackie