Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone make the trip to "Jay Peak Resort"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stopped in Montreal and charge to 100% at the supercharger then made my way to Jay Peak Resort Water Park. The plan is to simply plug-in via 110v outlet in the parking garage. unfortunately, they do not have any charging stations. So far so good - steep hills going up but i got here with roughly 200km remaining. Currently just over 352km after 24 hrs of charging. This will get me back to Montreal tomorrow before heading to Toronto.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160702-191637.png
    Screenshot_20160702-191637.png
    738.3 KB · Views: 111
  • Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
We stayed at Jay Peak two nights, Dec 28-29, at the beginning of a substantial snowfall. We started with a full battery (255 RM) at Sugarbush, on route 100 south of Stowe, and we got enough added range in 34 hours at Jay Peak to drive to the supercharger in Lincoln NH, with an afternoon skiing stop at Cannon Mtn along the way. The 120v outlets at Jay Peak as noted on PlugShare are in the outdoor covered parking lot at the "Hotel Jay" which is also near the "Tram Haus."

Jay Peak was jammed because people heard about the “best snow in NE” and were streaming in. Actually, it was windy and several lifts were closed, as well as the aerial tram. We had a so-so day of skiing on the 28th, and then had a great evening at the ice rink, waterpark and tram-house restaurant.

We stayed at the Statesman Hotel, which is a far walk to the coverd parking at the Hotel Jay (too far to walk safely in snow, though you can easily ski back to the Hotel Jay after a short ride on the "Taxi Express" chair lift). There is also a periodic shuttle bus service provided by Jay Peak that links the Statesman Hotel to the other properties.

They have outdoor 120v outlets on the light poles in the guest parking lot of the Statesman Hotel, and we got about 2-3 miles of range per hour in very cold weather (15-20 F). The problem we had was exiting the guest parking lot -- Jay Peak did not plow or remove any snow from the guest parking lot for several days, and so it took me 45 minutes to move our MS about 40 yards on essentially flat terrain because of the accumulation and snowdrifts in the guest lot. (I would have parked in the daily lot, but there are no plugs there).

Also, beware that the MS did not respond well to snow accumulation in excess of 4-5 inches, so I was shoveling repeatedly to make meager progress, skidding and blocking others on the parking lot for a while. Presumably this would not have been a problem in the covered parking at the Hotel Jay, but Jay Peak was also having trouble keeping its connecting roads cleared, including access to the condos, while the state roads we encountered after leaving the resort were properly cleared. On the other hand, the shuttle bus service provided by Jay Peak did an excellent job serving all properties and attractions, even with snow and at peak periods.

The SC in Lincoln is close to several restaurants, including a great BBQ place (“Texas Toast”) in a tiny mall just across the access road from the SC -- you can enter via the mall’s back door at the Barber Shop sign.

You'd be surprised what an RWD will go through with proper snow tires. It won't stop until the wheels lift off the ground. (Happened once!)

The only time I've had trouble with RWD was when I had the crappy sport winter Pirellis that Tesla sold me.

The problem in really low traction is that the other set of wheels are additional drag. Like trying to move forward with RWD with the front wheels turned, or just in deep snow. Snow tires can't fix that. If I have to shovel the car out I am unhappy.

The problem in really low traction is that the other set of wheels are additional drag. Like trying to move forward with RWD with the front wheels turned, or just in deep snow. Snow tires can't fix that. If I have to shovel the car out I am unhappy.

A bigger problem is if your front is stuck in an RWD. When the rear tires spin the car tends to buck sideways. On FWD and AWD cars you can aim the drive wheels to counter this, but there's nothing you can do on a RWD car except have someone outside the car pushing in the other direction...

I've had that problem with my car, but again only with the Pirellis. It's never happened with the XIce3.

Did you find any charging there? Thinking about a trip there in the winter, even with the Lincoln supercharger, not feasible without finding some kind of destination charging.

I utilized the 110V outlets in the parking lot when I visited. I'm hoping Jay Peak can rethink getting destination chargers. Would love to visit again but I'm concern about range loss in the winter months.